News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

It is indeed a new 4th track to campa (mile8.5 Oakville sub) from mimico east. VIA is also rebuilding/realigning some tracks that lead into their fuel shed, but thats are separate from the new mainline track being built.

Ah I see. I took an aerial view on Google Maps to get a better look. I remembered passing by the shed and seeing it being dug out, but that must be just to fix it up.

Do you know if a specific congestion problem triggered this work? That track branches off the mainline just west of that picture. Is it to be used by trains passing through the yard heading east as a way to get to the south track sooner? I can see that having some organizational benefits in the morning rush.

VIA is also rebuilding/realigning some tracks that lead into their fuel shed, but thats are separate from the new mainline track being built.

Actually, they are removing the fueling shed altogether. Apparently the regulations changed recently, and all locomotive refueling must take place outdoors.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Feb 23-11 Visited to Sheppard Underpass
[video=youtube;6G4GakWEu1Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G4GakWEu1Y[/video]

It is indeed a new 4th track to campa (mile8.5 Oakville sub) from mimico east. VIA is also rebuilding/realigning some tracks that lead into their fuel shed, but thats are separate from the new mainline track being built.

Does this tie into the renovations/upgrades to Mimico GO station in 2012? I assumed there would be some realignment to the tracks once work on this area was complete.

Does this tie into the renovations/upgrades to Mimico GO station in 2012? I assumed there would be some realignment to the tracks once work on this area was complete.

I would assume so, although the trackwork through Mimico East and Canpa are supposed to be finished by the end of March, whereas the work to Mimico Station doesn't start until March or April of next year.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Time for my semi-(ir)regular ask about the progress at Brampton. The questions are usually tied to my irregular use of the station and, again, this morning it struck me that all the work is done (there aren't even workers milling around trying to look busy anymore) yet no Presto and no use of that infrastructure spend called the south platform.

Is there some big behind the scenes reason that this new stuff is not being used? Any ideas when?

Time for my semi-(ir)regular ask about the progress at Brampton. The questions are usually tied to my irregular use of the station and, again, this morning it struck me that all the work is done (there aren't even workers milling around trying to look busy anymore) yet no Presto and no use of that infrastructure spend called the south platform.

Is there some big behind the scenes reason that this new stuff is not being used? Any ideas when?

Great question! I'm also curious. The last time I was there it looked completely done. Would they be waiting for the bridge expansion at the Credit River to finish? Or is Milton still not done?

Great question! I'm also curious. The last time I was there it looked completely done. Would they be waiting for the bridge expansion at the Credit River to finish? Or is Milton still not done?

The bridge might delay additional service but not sure why that would delay using the new platform or introducing Presto? Not sure what is going on at Milton but that is another line anyway.

GO email received 2 minutes ago said:
Brampton GO Passengers: Starting this evening until further notice all trains will arrive and depart Brampton from platform 2 which is the south platform at your station.

We have to make some emergency repairs to the north platform at Mount Pleasant GO Station. As we share the tracks with both VIA and freight trains, making the switch to the south track at Brampton will allow us to avoid any conflict with these completing trains, allowing us to maintain our on time schedule both at Brampton and Mount Pleasant.
If you park in the north lot, you will need to use the tunnels located at both the east and the west end of the station to get to and from the south platform.
We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience during this change.

This looks like a temporary switch but it at least shows that the south platform is operational!

So would morning trains use the South platform and afternoon trains use the North platform?

For the immediate future all GO trains are using the south platform. It has to do with some emergency repairs on the north platform at Mt. Pleasant....their north platform is out of commission so they think that it will relieve congestion on the line to keep GO trains on the south so that they are not switching in between those two stations. Did not use the train this morning so I don't know what the VIA train did but I presume it stayed on the north as it does not stop at Mt. Pleasant anyway and all VIA station ops are on the north platform at Brampton.

Yesterday morning (March 23) Brampton felt like a "real" train station.

The VIA train that is scheduled to depart Brampton at 7:44 each morning was running a few minutes late and got to the station just before the GO Train that is scheduled to depart at 7:59.

In the old days (ie a few weeks ago)...the GO would have sat idling west of the station while the VIA loaded/unloaded and would only be able to enter the station once it departed. Now, the VIA entered the station on the north platform and took on its passengers....at the same time the GO entered on the south platform and did the same.

A late VIA train, then, had no impact on the timely operation of the GO train......that felt good!

Back