News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Thanks for the pictures drum. You have gotten around the whole city this week to capture the status of these projects.

What still has to be done there.....to the uneducated eye (mine for example) it has looked done for some tme now. Kinda spooky with no one over on the lovely new south side.

The elevators. You need the south one as it a 2 block trip for accessibilty people if you start today.

The elevators. You need the south one as it a 2 block trip for accessibilty people if you start today.

It just seems like the rest has been done for so long....does it really take from, say, October 2010 to "spring 2011" to get elevators working.....again, I don't know this stuff but it seems a very long time.

EDIT: I should add that it really doesn't matter as I don't think there is any "new service" awaiting us as soon as the south platform is completed....if there is no new service the "Status Quo" that the north platform offers is just fine....in fact it is better since that is where people arrive and park....the value of the south platform is, presumably, new service options for which I do not think there are immediate plans.

Last edited:
It just seems like the rest has been done for so long....does it really take from, say, October 2010 to "spring 2011" to get elevators working.....again, I don't know this stuff but it seems a very long time.

EDIT: I should add that it really doesn't matter as I don't think there is any "new service" awaiting us as soon as the south platform is completed....if there is no new service the "Status Quo" that the north platform offers is just fine....in fact it is better since that is where people arrive and park....the value of the south platform is, presumably, new service options for which I do not think there are immediate plans.

CN's rail traffic controllers would like to turn the whole Halton sub through Brampton into a simplified "two-way traffic" arrangement with eastbound trains mostly on the south track and westbound trains mostly on the north... as you can imagine, it cleans up the timing of meets and passes substantially. However, so long as GO and Via can only load passengers from the north track, they're still having to mix things up a bit. Once GO and Via are using both tracks you should get fewer freight conflicts, especially on the morning trips in.

New service of sorts is coming when the Kitchener extension opens... trains that today are starting/finishing in Bramalea and then getting dead-headed back to Willowbrook are being pushed west to Kitchener, so there should be a few more departure and arrival options at Brampton, Mt. Pleasant and Georgetown.

Even with the GO platforms on both sides until the bridge over the Credit River is twinned there are going to be bottlenecks. Any updates on that bridge?

^I believe the last of the spans was to be craned into place this week. Tracklaying in the new year.

Last edited:
This is great news. It is interesting that many of the 1850s vintage Grand Trunk structures were built to carry two tracks instead of the one that was laid at the time. With the advent of heavier, double-height freight cars, these structures proved to be more than adequate for the occasion. I believe new piers had to be installed for the Credit River bridge, but I imagine that for VIA/GO upgrades west of Georgetown (where only local freights are carried), some expenses are saved.

I am looking forward to CTC signalling and track upgrades for the Georgetown-Kitchener (and hopefully to Stratford and London) which would on its own, make train travel attractive on the poorly-served yet excellent-potential North Main Line.

I am looking forward to CTC signalling and track upgrades for the Georgetown-Kitchener (and hopefully to Stratford and London) which would on its own, make train travel attractive on the poorly-served yet excellent-potential North Main Line.

Unfortunately I think they are still waiting for the outcome of arbitration between VIA and GEXR. Without a favourable deal they might not invest in the line much for a while.

The first new bridge in the corridor gets installed December 17th through th 19th at Dupont. Construction finally begins!

Concerning the Lakeshore West expansion in Hamilton & beyond

GO proposes new rail station for east Hamilton

Wed Dec 15 2010

A new commuter rail station will be built in east Hamilton if GO Transit ever gets its Niagara expansion plans off the drawing board.

GO is looking at building a station on the CN Rail line at Centennial Parkway and calling it Confederation Station. It would replace a station proposed for Fruitland Road in Stoney Creek.

GO would also shift all-day rail service between the Hamilton area and Union Station in Toronto — 20 trains a day — to Confederation from Aldershot. The agency had originally wanted to make the terminus at a new station at James Street North. That station would still get all-day rail service under the revised plan.

GO spokesperson Vanessa Thomas said Tuesday the change in station locations is a result of comments the agency received from the public during the summer at information forums in Hamilton and other communities.

“We really listened to the input,” Thomas said. “We were listening and we have made these adjustments.”

Go Transit had originally rejected Centennial Parkway because it could not be accommodated by a developer near the rail-road junction, east of Centennial Parkway. It then looked at a piece of vacant land the City of Hamilton owns just west of Centennial Parkway, off Goderich Road and north of the rail line. GO said Hamilton was consulted about the new site and it was “deemed a potential future station.”

GO Transit is fine-tuning an environmental assessment and design study on Niagara rail expansion for Ontario Environment Minister John Wilkinson. It launched the study at the start of 2010.

GO Transit also made alterations to stations proposed for Fifty Road near Winona and Casablanca Boulevard in Grimsby. It relocated the Fifty Road station to the east side of the road from the west side due to an impact on proposed residential development and added a buffer area between the Grimsby station and residential areas. It also proposed to create a larger parking lot in Grimsby as demand warrants.

The public can comment on the revisions before Jan. 14, 2011. Thomas said the study will be presented to the minister in the coming months — after another period of public consultations — and he could either accept it or seek more information from GO. If it is accepted, it would then wait for funding from the province. That could take up to five years.

GO Transit has four revised options for service expansion into Niagara:

• Option 1 would be to Confederation station and see a train layover facility at Lewis Road in Stoney Creek.

• Option 2 would see expansion to Casablanca Boulevard and have the Fifty Road station only be built as ridership warrants.

• Option 3 would extend service to the St. Catharines VIA station and create a train layover facility at Glendale Avenue. Stations at Fifty Road and Beamsville would only be built as ridership warrants.

• Option 4 would see service extended to the Niagara Falls VIA station, but this would require a tunnel or a bridge at the Welland Canal. Cost has been estimated at

$1 billion and GO has acknowledged the province faces challenging fiscal times. Stations at Confederation, Fifty Road and Beamsville would only be developed as ridership warrants.

dnolan@thespec.com

Hopefully they go with option 3 and consider a Merrittville station in St.Catharines as well. Merritt Road is closer to Brock and the Highway 58 tunnel which a bus could take onto Thorold Stone Rd Stanley, and Bridge St to the downtown VIA station.

Heading to Burlington today, I see the Appleby and Bronte new parking lots could be in service in Jan or early Feb.

Steel was going up at Clarkson for one of the new shelters was more concrete stairwell in place. Work is near grade level for the elevator area. Long ways to go before the first section can be open to allow work to start and the other haft.

Lots of empty spaces for the new GO parking lot at Oakville.

Back