News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I like the idea of a trial of half-cost offpeak fares.

That said, there's a catch-22:

Event trains are very profitable for GO -- a fully packed offpeak GO train pays for itself many times over -- and GO willingly obliges in adding extra trains to Union or Exhibition during events.

Now, the increase in ridership for non-event offpeak, needs to compensate for this kind of loss if event trains start to become half fare (unless an exception is made and event trains are considered 'peak' and always full-price).

In the last 2 years GO Rail has only experienced very modest growth and that came with new stations are far more service during the day and on weekends. To assume that these additional riders are just using off-peak is rather stupid so again, how is this being financed?

Part of the rationale for off-peak is to increase peak travel time. The flexibility reduces a complaint that someone can't work late or go out for dinner after work or sneak out early. Even though 99% of the time they won't individuals don't want to be constrained.

Gets rid of one excuse not to take the train.

I do agree they need to spread out the load from the high-peak to medium peaks. A lot of office workers in the core can decide to come in anywhere from 7:30 to 10. But most come in in a 1 hour window (8:15-9:15). Both on the subway and the GO. By having a differential price (increasing peak and/or decreasing off-peak) to encourage people to arrive at 7:30 or at 9:45 it will spread out the rush hour. We won't be able to get them to move their trip to noon but at least the capacity can be managed.

(my time might be slightly off but the key is the concept)

In the UK they have introduced 3 fare rates. High rates for about 1.5 hours, a middle fare for those who still are going to work but can come in at the shoulders and then a third rate for the time when the trains are empty

In the UK they have introduced 3 fare rates. High rates for about 1.5 hours, a middle fare for those who still are going to work but can come in at the shoulders and then a third rate for the time when the trains are empty
I believe Presto has the capacity to charge different rates at different times. It will be up to GO, TTC, and others if they want to implement that.

I couldnt agree more, it's time for time of use fare pricing (similar to how we have time of use electricity rates). The infrastructure is already there, it's just time for Metrolinx and Co. to get serious about it.

Not sure if this has been posted already.

Future Confederation station, from source:
Confederation%20Rendering%201.jpg

Confederation%20Rendering%202.jpg

Not sure if this has been posted already.

Future Confederation station, from source:
Confederation%20Rendering%201.jpg

Confederation%20Rendering%202.jpg

Looks good!

Any chance that this station will see a name change from Confederation to perhaps "Stoney Creek" closer to completion? West Harbour station was known as "James Street North" until very close to opening, so I wonder if GO will switch the name here too.

Looks good!

Any chance that this station will see a name change from Confederation to perhaps "Stoney Creek" closer to completion? West Harbour station was known as "James Street North" until very close to opening, so I wonder if GO will switch the name here too.
0% chance of the name changing to Stoney Creek. GO has a preference for naming stations after local communities, and as a result Stoney Creek wouldnt meet that name convention requirement.

0% chance of the name changing to Stoney Creek. GO has a preference for naming stations after local communities, and as a result Stoney Creek wouldnt meet that name convention requirement.

Wait wouldn't what you just argued mean that they will in fact change the to "Stoney Creek"? James Street North was a street name (became West Harbour) and Confederation is a street name too, so wouldn't by your own logic Stoney Creek be the preferred name?

Wait wouldn't what you just argued mean that they will in fact change the to "Stoney Creek"? James Street North was a street name (became West Harbour) and Confederation is a street name too, so wouldn't by your own logic Stoney Creek be the preferred name?
Typically I would agree, but Metrolinx's naming convention isnt really as straight forward as that. Look at the Crosstown LRT for further reference; in that case they defied their own conventions, made up a couple new ones, and came up with non-nonsensical ones.

In this case, Stoney Creek wouldnt be classified as a "community" as per Metrolinx's standards, Confederation is located close to Confederation Park and that's where the name comes from.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 1.43.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 1.43.55 PM.png
    679.5 KB · Views: 223
I realize this has been touched on in the GO Service thread but thought I would post it here since it deals with the RFQ issued today.
Planned upgrades include:

▪ Double track expansion on the Barrie GO Line, including grading between Union Station and Aurora GO Station

▪ Track and signals upgrades to support double track expansion

▪ Noise and retaining walls

▪ Bridge expansions at Sheppard Avenue West, Major Mackenzie Drive and Yonge Street.

Quick Facts
  • Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for interested parties to build and finance the Barrie Rail Corridor Expansion – Grading Project.
  • The RFQ is the first step in the procurement process to select a team to deliver the project. IO and Metrolinx will evaluate submissions to prequalify project teams with the relevant construction experience. Teams that qualify will be invited to respond to a request for proposals in the fall of 2017.

I realize this has been touched on in the GO Service thread but thought I would post it here since it deals with the RFQ issued today.

Further, here's the email that just went out with TPAP dates and public meetings.

GO Rail Network Electrification - TPAP Notice of Commencement and Public Meetings

Metrolinx and the province of Ontario are continuing to move forward with our goal to transform the way the region moves by bringing rapid transit to communities throughout the GTHA. By 2025, electrified trains will be running every 15 minutes or better, all day and in both directions, within the most heavily travelled sections of the GO network. Every community transit project, big or small, plays a vital role in the regional transportation system. We want to share our plans and get your feedback.

To deliver this service, for the past year we have been busy completing the necessary environmental studies, consulting with the community and finalizing the early enabling works to assess the impacts of building the infrastructure required to electrify the network.We now plan to commence the formal Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP) on June 14, 2017.

Listed below are key TPAP dates that outline the steps taken to complete the environmental assessment.

Notice of Commencement: June 14, 2017
Notice of Completion: October 11, 2017
Start of 30-Day Public Review: October 12 – November 10, 2017
Start of 35-Day Minister Review: November 11 – December 15, 2017
Statement of Completion: December 15, 2017
As part of our continued community engagement, we wanted to let you know that there will be public meetings held to share the impacts of the project and our proposed mitigation. We invite you to join us in person at the public meeting nearest you to find out more.

Meeting times: 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. / Presentation: 7:00 p.m.

Monday, June 26, 2017
Clarke Memorial Hall
161 Lakeshore Road West
Mississauga, ON L5H 1G3

Wednesday, June 28, 2017
Ajax Community Centre
75 Centennial Road
Ajax, ON L1S 4S4

Thursday, June 29, 2017
Metro Hall
55 John Street
Toronto, ON M5V 3C6