News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I find it strange though that they changed the Kitchener (Georgetown) Line and the Barrie (Bradford) Line names, but not the Stouffville line, which should now be called the Lincolnville Line, and the Richmond Hill Line, which should now be the Gormley and eventually Bloomington Line.
They are inconsistent in one way but if you look at it, the Barrie and Kitchener extensions took those lines to places larger and better known than the previous terminus names they replaced......likely more people in Ontario know where (and in what general direction) Kitchener and Barrie are than Georgetown and Bradford....I don't think Lincolnville is better known than Stouffville and Gormley is definitely not better known than Richmond Hill.

I'm going to repost my comment in case folks didn't see it as the recent postings have been fairly off-topic.

What I don't get is if the Star hadn't written about this [the Kirby GO train station issue] when would the contract to build the station been signed? Will this now delay it?

They name it by the closest major settlement, not the station itself. Bloomington isn't even a town, its a street.
I don't think they have a pattern/rule at all....I think (wisely) they look at each line and pick a logical name.

So, in the case of Barrie and Kitchener, those are well known towns at the end of the lines and using those names gives someone an idea of what direction the line goes in.

In the case of Stouffville and Richmond Hill, the better, more useful, stops are not at the end of the lines at all.

In the case of the Lakeshore lines.....no stop name is used at all in naming them....Lakeshore West and Lakeshore East are more useful than naming them after any particular stop on the line.

I'm going to repost my comment in case folks didn't see it as the recent postings have been fairly off-topic.

What I don't get is if the Star hadn't written about this [the Kirby GO train station issue] when would the contract to build the station been signed? Will this now delay it?

The contract is likely not signed. It would be part of the "Phase II" RER Procurement envelope. See earlier post. The bad news, I fear is, the procurement is such a huge envelope that any number of new stations can be slid in without any public formality.

- Paul

The contract is likely not signed. It would be part of the "Phase II" RER Procurement envelope. See earlier post. The bad news, I fear is, the procurement is such a huge envelope that any number of new stations can be slid in without any public formality.

- Paul

Thanks Paul. I wish Metrolinx/GO would make better use of GANTT Chart to visualize when all the phases of RFQs/RPFs for the various RER elements are happening.

Actually (and surprisingly), it's not that work.

They are rebuilding the old layover spots immediately north/west of the station. They will be used for 2 6-packs to layover starting later this year.

I found myself in Bradford over the weekend and took a peek at the ongoing construction. I was suprised at how close the layover spots are to station (not that I have a lot of context).

Looks like there is still a bunch of work to be done before the new train deadheads in on Sep. 4 for it's debut the following morning.

I've never used this station before, but from what I can tell from my visit, the northeast platform is the full-length platform that is used today. It appears there is an unused half-length (to the south-end) platform on the southwest side of the track.

Will the 6-pack pull ahead to the south to start service on the half-platform (a la Lincolnville) Or will the train move (north or south), get onto the main line and return to the station to service the existing northeast platform?

I've never used this station before, but from what I can tell from my visit, the northeast platform is the full-length platform that is used today. It appears there is an unused half-length (to the south-end) platform on the southwest side of the track.

Will the 6-pack pull ahead to the south to start service on the half-platform (a la Lincolnville) Or will the train move (north or south), get onto the main line and return to the station to service the existing northeast platform?

The "half-platform" is the original platform from when the service ended there prior to the end of 2007. It hasn't really been used since then, but will be used by the trains entering and exiting service at Bradford.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Let's discuss Kirby GO station.

Metrolinx can get a Kirby station.

All Metrolinx has to do is to sell all advertising rights within Kirby station to whichever company owns the rights to the Kirby video game franchise and the rights can shift anytime there's a new owner (the current owner is HAL Laboratory, which is very closely affiliated with Nintendo), until the Kirby franchise enters public domain in Canada.

Del Luca would invite someone dressed as a Kirby mascot for the groundbreaking and for opening. It would be sponsored by Nintendo of Canada.

We can get the Kirby fandom to support the construction of Kirby GO station.

Let's discuss Kirby GO station.

Metrolinx can get a Kirby station.

All Metrolinx has to do is to sell all advertising rights within Kirby station to whichever company owns the rights to the Kirby video game franchise and the rights can shift anytime there's a new owner (the current owner is HAL Laboratory, which is very closely affiliated with Nintendo), until the Kirby franchise enters public domain in Canada.

Del Luca would invite someone dressed as a Kirby mascot for the groundbreaking and for opening. It would be sponsored by Nintendo of Canada.

We can get the Kirby fandom to support the construction of Kirby GO station.
You overlook the negative consequence to overall ridership if a Kirby Station is built at this time. It's not just cost, it's the 'insertion loss'...the cost of having a stop there to the rest of the service.

There's always the possibility of someone building a station there and the trains just don't stop, however.

Back