News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

How about a tunnel connecting Bloor Stn to Dundas West Subway.....expropriation has commenced!

upload_2017-9-1_10-50-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-1_10-50-44.png
    upload_2017-9-1_10-50-44.png
    444.9 KB · Views: 641
Is this being done in coordination with the new building under construction which forced the closure of the previous connection?
Have no idea...but this is the permanent connection that GO(then Metrolinx) have been trying to negotiate for for decades now.

Some would argue they have been too patient and should have gone the expropriation route long ago....but, at least, they are going there now.

thru the building shown here as Crossways.

upload_2017-9-1_11-22-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-1_11-22-46.png
    upload_2017-9-1_11-22-46.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 397
How about a tunnel connecting Bloor Stn to Dundas West Subway.....expropriation has commenced!
There's real irony in the timing, as the lot immediately to the north that *used to* host the walkway to Dundas St and to the TTC station has now ripped out the walkway "GO lease expired", and is developing the land, albeit the top six feet has to be removed for reasons of toxicity, and below it remediated in-situ. I would have thought Mlx would have applied for a connection through there, but the loss of the walkway may have put a thrust on the onus to do it through the 2340/50/60 Dundas St W parking sub-floors.

What was truly odd when Mlx lost the walkway was the total lack of on-street signage indicating the need for passengers to walk the long-way round (two choices). Many were left flummoxed on the sidewalk with baggage for the airport. Badly handled by all concerned.

Very interesting news...

Edit to Add: Just reading the posts before this one of mine, but after the post I answered above:

The 'prize' for doing it through the 2340+ property is access to the ends of the TTC Dundas station platforms. They could actually be attained without expropriating Creccal's property, as to why that hasn't been considered is a good question? It would require two short tunnelled horizontal shafts, longer if continued east to further improve access to Bloor GO platforms and entrance from east of the railpath and and wouldn't require expropriation. Will discuss in further detail if anyone wishes.

Since the tunnels would be parallel to the existing rail tunnels to the east of Dundas West station, existing soil assays and utilities would already be documented and predictable. Those rail tunnels were bored almost all the way to Lansdowne, not cut and covered.

Last edited:
I am trying to find a way to get a go line running to Peterborough via Scarborough with touching the LE line. Anyone know how?

Have no idea...but this is the permanent connection that GO(then Metrolinx) have been trying to negotiate for for decades now.

Some would argue they have been too patient and should have gone the expropriation route long ago....but, at least, they are going there now.

thru the building shown here as Crossways.
Actually *NOT* "through the building shown here". The tunnels run under the triple level parking immediately to the north of the building. The ventilation shaft is one of the give-aways, plus close examination of Google Satellite to see the alignment skirting the Dundas West ground level structure and actually clearing the Crossways, but under the parking levels which extend under the surface paved area to adjoin the wall that separates the Crossways property to the northern neighbour.
upload_2017-9-2_22-16-41.png

upload_2017-9-2_22-18-13.png

upload_2017-9-2_22-19-22.png

upload_2017-9-2_22-20-4.png

https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/19900925goconnectionreport.pdf
https://stevemunro.ca/2009/12/31/history-of-the-dundas-west-go-connection/

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2011/03/22/go_and_ttc_make_a_connection_at_dundas_west.html

https://stevemunro.ca/2011/03/22/finally-a-dundas-west-go-connection/

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-2_22-16-41.png
    upload_2017-9-2_22-16-41.png
    313 KB · Views: 458
  • upload_2017-9-2_22-18-13.png
    upload_2017-9-2_22-18-13.png
    332.1 KB · Views: 435
  • upload_2017-9-2_22-19-22.png
    upload_2017-9-2_22-19-22.png
    299.3 KB · Views: 369
  • upload_2017-9-2_22-20-4.png
    upload_2017-9-2_22-20-4.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Anne Marie Aikins said that, despite these proceedings, they don't hope to take possession until May when they can start construction.

If expropriation doesn't go smoothly, maybe longer.
There's been some overlap on this topic in the Pearson Express string.

I spoke with...errr...'someone with authority at The Crossways' (have to leave it at that, don't want the person getting blowback) and their statement is that Crossways *don't own the land immediately north of their actual superstructure!* It is leased "from the City" (possibly meaning TTC). If that is the case "expropriation" takes on a whole easier process.

I'm still digging to verify the claim as fact that can be referenced. If anyone else can dig on this, please do so, some of you are adept at navigating the City's and QP's data-bases.

More on this later...

Edit to Add:
Quick Google shows this:
Neil | December 31, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Quite amusing reading. Kudos to those that drafted the initial lease in the 60’s that had the vision to foresee this connection. Then you have the TTC which was trying to get more than what the lease called for. Finally a property developer which used this occasion to try and extort the government. By the way, it’s funnier if you hold your pinky to the side of your mouth when you read the $1,000,000 part.

In 1989 you can understand Crossways resistance to this connection. Daily commuters would not do much to their bottom line. Now with the airport link about to become a reality, this would totally change their business case. They are still in the hotel business aren’t they? A good negotiator now could probably get money to flow Metrolinx’s way. If they are still resistant perhaps an aerial bridge from the GO platforms to the subway station somewhat aligned with Edna Ave. Just be careful where the foundations go near Dundas. That’s where I want the DRL station box to go.
https://stevemunro.ca/2009/12/31/history-of-the-dundas-west-go-connection/

I can't find the where the reference comes from in the above, it may be faulty, and I must run right now. I'll continue later.
"They are still in the hotel business aren’t they?" Is a misleading reference to the building being *zoned* to allow hotel use. It never was used as such.

Last edited:
I'm curious about those plans for the connection, is there no elevator or accessible connection planned? Seems a bit of a stretch to me to say that the surface connection satisfies AODA requirements.

Back