News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

So pretty much the same thing the TTC thought would happen at Don Mills with riders getting off the DVP and using the Sheppard line as an alternative. Look at how badly that worked out.

This model is already tried and failed but Metrolinx is intent on persisting on with it, so bravo to their shortsighted thinking.
It's a bit different here - don mills to downtown is about 45 minutes to downtown, parking is $5, and it's well south of where traffic starts (around Bloomington).

Here is north of the 404 traffic, has free parking, and will result in an overall faster time to downtown that don mills will.
Interestingly, I actually know plenty of people who do just that (only they park at Oriole station for free). It's not as large as the TTC anticipated, but I find it an excellent alternative, especially since it's really easy to get stuck on the DVP for at least an hour.

Don Mills TTC? It may actually be more now - that's just what I recall it being 5 years or so ago when I parked there last.
That is the kind of lazy comment that is SO easy to have got right. This is on TTC website.

"TTC Don Mills Subway Station, at Sheppard Avenue East and Don Mills Road, has one parking lot. No overnight parking allowed at any lot between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. every day. Paid parking from 5 a.m to 9:30 a.m.on weekdays. Daily rate is $7. "

Last edited:
I was (and am now) on mobile - relax. My point was that it's paid parking - $7 is actually even worse and drives home my point even more. Parking at Bloomington and taking the GO is going to just be even more time and price competitive then.

^The thing is, the day that free GO Parking comes to an end (and that's just a matter of when, not if), that would basically just neutralize the main reason why Bloomingdale GO is being built in the first place.

The thing with rural/suburban stations is that they are feeder points for residents/commuters scattered beyond in areas where localtranst isn't feasible. Don't provide parking or price it out of range and you risk driving people back to their cars.

The thing with rural/suburban stations is that they are feeder points for residents/commuters scattered beyond in areas where localtranst isn't feasible. Don't provide parking or price it out of range and you risk driving people back to their cars.
Yeah, stations that will never have transit oriented development and increasing frequency on local transit excluding GO shuttles is not feasible should keep free parking.

The answer though must be to keep parking rates low, but not give it away free. Give it away free, and I want my share in other benefits. It costs every other rider to build, it's only fair that those that use the parking at least pay for the cost.

That being said, I think the best option is to privatize the parking, and allow the market to determine the rates. Metrolinx charge fare by distance, it's only linear that they apply the same thinking to those using the parking.
Or at least not priced to the point of deterrence.
That was added as I typed. Agreed. It's going to have to be a fine balance. At least pay the cost, not a profit, until such time as better transit connections are provided.

I think most commuters will agree with the principle if it's fairly priced. There's no other situation where you can get something like that for free unless you're paying someone making a profit on you elsewhere.

One a GO Line gets to 30 minute frequency they should start phasing out free parking. The demand generated by the frequency probably is sufficient to offset ridership lost from parking.
I don’t think GO/ML agrees. More parking garages have been built on the Lakeshore(s) than anywhere else......precisely where 30 minute frequencies have been achieved.

Yes, because the way GO's model operates right now is there's no point in raising frequencies if people can't get to the stations in the first place. And last mile service in suburbia is a bitch, as we all know.

^The thing is, the day that free GO Parking comes to an end (and that's just a matter of when, not if), that would basically just neutralize the main reason why Bloomingdale GO is being built in the first place.
You're not going to drive away everyone at even a station like Bloomingdale or Gormley if you introduce small parking fees (1-2$ per day, or an annual pass to park at the station for the equivalent), you will if you charge TTC-level parking fees.

You're not going to drive away everyone at even a station like Bloomingdale or Gormley if you introduce small parking fees (1-2$ per day, or an annual pass to park at the station for the equivalent), you will if you charge TTC-level parking fees.
I would imagine parking fees that low would just about cover the cost of charging/enforcing the fees charged ?

Back