News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Thanks! That was my first time to the top of all my time living here, and realised there was a great vantage upon the tracks from up top (which my phone would fit through!)

Ill be back when more progress occurs, as other than on the platforms its a great vantage of the work without breaking any laws.

Speaking of, a minute before taking this photo some guy was taking photos of the river right up there on the bridge. Its crazy people don't bother to check the schedules at least.

The completed new beams here are ready for tracks on this side, hopefully happening soon, I've always been fond of this bridge into Guelph, great views from the ground and on the train.

View attachment 409116
Really looking forward to the second span going in on that bridge!

Highlights as far as I can tell:
  • Metrolinx has started the procurement process to find a construction partner for the required rail infrastructure for the Bowmanville Extension project. The procurement process to identify a construction manager kicked off with a Request for Proposals (RFP) released in April 2022. The method of procurement for this RFP will be the Construction Manager at Risk (CMAR) model.

• As part of the ongoing Transit Project Assessment Project (TPAP) addendum, there will be public information centre held in late 2022.
Model details:
  • The CMAR procurement delivery model allows for a collaborative approach between the construction manager (contractor) who comes onboard in the design stage of the project to assist with early problem solving, reducing the potential for risks during the construction stage of the project.

• During the design stage, the contractor works closely with Metrolinx on potential solutions to design challenges – allowing for innovation, efficiency, and quality management throughout the design process.

• Near the end of the design stage, the contractor will provide an estimated construction schedule and associated costs for the proposed work – at which time, Metrolinx and the contractor will negotiate terms of a construction contract, including a target price, or guaranteed maximum price (GMP) for the construction stage of the work.

• As the scope of work for the Bowmanville Extension is very complex – this model allows the contractor to be engaged early in the design process, increasing efficiency of construction staging and sequencing, and providing better cost certainty for the proposed work – making CMAR an ideal delivery model for this project.

• The construction is anticipated to kick off following the design phase.

Last edited:
Bowmanville GO Extension RFP is out:

RFP for Construction Management at Risk for the Bowmanville Expansion Project

• This Request for Proposals is issued by Metrolinx to invite Proponents to prepare and submit competitive Submissions to perform work for the Bowmanville Expansion Project using a type of construction management at-risk project delivery model.
  • Metrolinx has retained a designer to develop the design for the Bowmanville Expansion Project.
  • Metrolinx is seeking firms that are qualified and experienced with construction management and construction, including experience with various contract delivery models, including construction management at-risk. Metrolinx has decided to use the construction management at-risk delivery model
took them awhile to announce it

No, it will be extended the other direction, to Hanlon Pkwy. The second track in Acton will be reactivated as part of a separate siding, but we don't yet know exactly where it will extend to.
I will probably assume west to Eramosa on the current timetable (7th line)

I will probably assume west to Eramosa on the current timetable (7th line)

That would take a lot of civil work given bridges at Crewsons and various narrow cuts and embankments. I would predict a much shorter siding, maybe 2500 feet, much like the sidings on the VIA owned lines….nothing longer than what Acton had back in the day.

- Paul

That would take a lot of civil work given bridges at Crewsons and various narrow cuts and embankments. I would predict a much shorter siding, maybe 2500 feet, much like the sidings on the VIA owned lines….nothing longer than what Acton had back in the day.

- Paul
In looking for the location of Crewsons, I discovered satellite view has a 6 car train passing through... https://goo.gl/maps/jQXT2tF2kS2KfxJeA

I guess they're not in the business of clearing tracks of trains as they are of clearing highways of cars for their imagery.

The Maple GO Station page has been updated with new renderings.

1656193527718.png

1656193541035.png

For the record, the 'like' is for the posting contribution, not the Kirkor worthy architecture.

Boring Box
It says a lot that I look at this image, and I can't even tell where this is even supposed to be in the station. If they destroy the existing station building...

P.S. I consider Maple my local station, I know the area inside and out.

Last edited:
It says a lot that I look at this image, and I can't even tell where this is even supposed to be in the station. If they destroy the existing station building...

P.S. I consider Maple my local station, I know the area inside and out.
I think the first image is the view from the bus loop level and the second image is the view from the platform level.

Below is a site plan for the adjacent development which shows the location of the station building.

Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 12.02.12 AM.png

It's disappointing that they didn't build a pedestrian bridge from the bus loop to the platforms, given how high up the loop is already.

In the current design to get from the bus loop to the southbound platform you need to go down that station building, walk across the car park, go down into the pedestrian tunnel under the tracks and then back up on the other side.

capture3-jpg.409944

EDIT: corrected diagram

Versus just heading directly west from the bus loop in a pedestrian bridge over the car park, then down stairs/elevators directly to either platform.
Capture2.JPG

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
I wouldn’t give the precinct around the Maple GO station many marks for design quality.

That depot will fit right in.

- Paul

Ouch!

LOL

"Its next to a Wal-mart; its not like it will de-value the neighbours" - Paul (as paraphrased by me)

Of course, instead of building to the standard of the neighbour, we could do something wonderful; and demolish the neighbours.........

NL

PS.........for Vaughan.........this isn't terrible ya know, they spent some money on the streetscape here, along Major Mac:

1656251205314.png

1656251239802.png

Back