News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

was hoping the platform wouldve extended across the bridge as well. wouldve been an interesting experience. still looks good nonetheless

Yeah, I wonder why they didn't do it that way, it'd be a lot of work to make 2 pedestrian bridges, why not just have the platform over the road? It's an overpass so there would be no actual impediment.

Yeah, I wonder why they didn't do it that way, it'd be a lot of work to make 2 pedestrian bridges, why not just have the platform over the road? It's an overpass so there would be no actual impediment.
The bridge would have to be almost the double of the current size as while being more exposed to riders crossing it to the weather. It would have been far cheaper having a wider bridge than the current setup.

what are the five stations being referred to?

1686788031829.png

From: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-237451.pdf

I think it's a bit crazy how under the radar Exhibition is going, as just "part of" the Ontario Line:
This is easily the most substantial GO Station besides Union, it's got retail, it'll be connected to high density residential, it's got streetcar and subway connections, it appears the GO platforms might even has escalators! It also has a gated platform area which is the first case of that happening for GO. It's a way bigger deal than Bloor / Dundas West (which mostly just uses what feel like the standard precast ped tunnels even off Bloor), and even East Harbour (station design wise) honestly. I wouldn't be surprised if this part of the project costs well over a billion given the price of the SmartTrack stations.

I hope it elevates future GO station designs, especially for those spanning multiple tracks - this isn't just a station but a real landmark!

The Bloor-Lansdowne Station is almost useless. The south side positioning makes it an unattractive subway transfer, and might only be used for local traffic. The question I have is why Caledonia - a much better transit connection for the Barrie Line - still not started?
Got to deal with Line 5 mess first and ML out to lunch on it in the first place. Should been built at the same time as the Line 5 station and sit until the station open like they did for Downsview Park Station.

The Bloor Station should had been on the north side starting before where the change of grade take place and then to the south with part of it over Bloor. This doesn't have to be a full size station for 12 cars and should be for 5/6 cars at the most. A fair number of infill station only need to be built for 5/6 car line a number of stations in Europe or when work is taking place on it in the first place. Stations like these needs to be for walk-in traffic only with no parking.

If we are to move to shorter trains with 15 minute or less service, don't need full size station like I have been calling for since 2007 and stop providing parking in the first place.

The Bloor-Lansdowne Station is almost useless. The south side positioning makes it an unattractive subway transfer, and might only be used for local traffic. The question I have is why Caledonia - a much better transit connection for the Barrie Line - still not started?
Yep. I never got a response to this question back in January. Who knows...

Part of the issue with Lansdowne is the grade change starts well south of Bloor so unless you want to have an inclined station, the options are limited. A direct subway transfer isn't going to be possible there but that's also because it's a much greater distance than some seem to think...

Looks like the Bowmanville extension is getting to the engineering stage:

"The Ontario government has awarded a contract to advance planning to extend GO train service to Bowmanville, marking another milestone in the province’s plan to deliver more transit options, connect communities and save families time and money in Durham Region and across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA).​
...​
The early stage infrastructure planning contract will support the nearly 20-kilometre extension project, which includes new tracks and signals, seven new bridges and at-grade crossing upgrades.​
...​
Bowmanville Construction Partners (BCP) has been awarded an early stage contract to advance infrastructure planning on the Bowmanville Extension."​

^Interesting renders in that press release.
One thing I will say for ML.... they are designing the infrastructure for 100 years +. The transformation of ML lines from traditional railway lines (natural slopes, grassy ROW, farmers' style fences, grade crossings) to urban transit architecture (impermeable borders, heavy concrete retaining walls, grade separation) is so visible.
I was told by a founding GO senior person that they deliberately built the original GO stations on the cheap, because it was only a 50-50 bet that the system would prove popular, and CN required that they had to be able to remove everything if the government shut things down after a year or so of trying. And then almost immediately after opening, the ridership firmed up and they realised the project was phenomenally successful.
With respect to Bowmanville, I had kind of expected they would slap something down that was only half way to permanency..... but that's clearly not the case.

- Paul

^Interesting renders in that press release.
One thing I will say for ML.... they are designing the infrastructure for 100 years +. The transformation of ML lines from traditional railway lines (natural slopes, grassy ROW, farmers' style fences, grade crossings) to urban transit architecture (impermeable borders, heavy concrete retaining walls, grade separation) is so visible.
I was told by a founding GO senior person that they deliberately built the original GO stations on the cheap, because it was only a 50-50 bet that the system would prove popular, and CN required that they had to be able to remove everything if the government shut things down after a year or so of trying. And then almost immediately after opening, the ridership firmed up and they realised the project was phenomenally successful.
With respect to Bowmanville, I had kind of expected they would slap something down that was only half way to permanency..... but that's clearly not the case.

- Paul

Thanks for pointing out the renders, I actually didn't scroll that far down...........LOL; let me bring those forward for everyone:

1686839212053.png

1686839240394.png

1686839268130.png

^If I read that third render too literally, I would infer that CP has demanded room to add a second freight track some day..... whereas ML has agreed to settle for one track only.

But I'm probably off base - renders seldom really sneak in the details that we read into them.

- Paul

^ It also seems like the renderings went with the CN Rail colour scheme for trains instead of CPCK. But only us rail geeks here would notice/care. It also appears to be a mixed freight training heading to GM but I thought the spur was used almost exclusively for autoracks.

Back