News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Drum I noticed in the 2nd picture that there's a third track installed. Is it ever used by GO? I think I saw in another thread that a third track is installed for most of the Union to Mississauga route but CP is insisting on four to add more GO service.

Very rare that track is used. It runs from the east side of Mavis Rd to the south side of 403. The bridge at Burnhamthorpe will have to be widen for the 4th track after seeing a section of track laying there.

Kipling has a section as well from the Humber River to 427, but has been used by CP to store auto racks there. I believe Meadowvale & Streetsville Stations has a 3rd section as well.

Drum I noticed in the 2nd picture that there's a third track installed. Is it ever used by GO? I think I saw in another thread that a third track is installed for most of the Union to Mississauga route but CP is insisting on four to add more GO service.

That third track, along with the third tracks at Kipling and Erindale, was paid for by GO as part of the agreement to open the line in 1981. They have been used sparingly since then, although the one at Erindale was used by the short-turn trains in the early 1990s.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Aldershot has 2 advantages: it's near Bayview Jct and there's great car access.

I think Aldershot should always remain because of its car access (let's face it, this will always be important in the GTA), but I think Hamilton James Street should be the primary transfer point/hub for all these trains, especially if we want to intensify downtown Hamilton. Both Lakeshore GO-REX and Niagara-bound services would use James St., anyway. The only detour would be for VIA/regional trains heading from Toronto to London via Brantford. But if these are push-pull trains with cab cars, it's not that hard to run into Hamilton James street and then back out toward Bayview Junction.

Well if the feds ever end up implementing high-speed rail out that way, there will need to be a serious look taken at the whole area. A west-GTA station is needed, and so are grade separations and additional trackage.

Here's my suggestion: a new station right at Bayview Junction.

Untitled.jpg

This will allow all trains (Oakville to Dundas sub, Oakville to Grimsby Sub, Dundas to Grimsby sub and all vice-versas) to stop here, and then continue without backing up. It would also make connectiosn convenient for passengers.

Here's a scenario: a passenger from London gets on a VIA (HSR) train, and wants to go to Niagara Falls. They get on a train heading to Toronto Union. They get off at Bayview, and transfer to a different VIA (or Amtrak) train heading from Union to Niagara Falls. Operations are simplified and given lots of flexibility.

Also, it would be a connection opportunity with a rapid transit line identified by Hamilton Street Railway (the 'L line') that will go between Waterdown and downtown Hamilton.

The three challenges with this:

* Cost: It would take a hell of a lot of money to ensure adequate car connections between Highway 403, and that a sufficient sized car garage and other station facilities are squeezed onto the site (or built upon adjacent sites). On top of this, the grade separations to ensure that there are no conflicts between trains (passenger/passenger or passenger/freight), and adequate bike and pedestrian access.

* Technical Requirements: Squeezing a 12-car GO train in here? Might need some track shifts...

* Environmental Impact: The station would need to ensure that all potential impacts to the surrounding Cootes Paradise are mitigated.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 730
Transport Canada issued a media advisory today announcing the official opening of the new parking structure at the Pickering GO Station will take place tomorrow, March 28, 2014 at 11:00 a.m.

Well if the feds ever end up implementing high-speed rail out that way, there will need to be a serious look taken at the whole area. A west-GTA station is needed, and so are grade separations and additional trackage.

View attachment 24035

This will allow all trains (Oakville to Dundas sub, Oakville to Grimsby Sub, Dundas to Grimsby sub and all vice-versas) to stop here, and then continue without backing up. It would also make connectiosn convenient for passengers.

Here's a scenario: a passenger from London gets on a VIA (HSR) train, and wants to go to Niagara Falls. They get on a train heading to Toronto Union. They get off at Bayview, and transfer to a different VIA (or Amtrak) train heading from Union to Niagara Falls. Operations are simplified and given lots of flexibility.

Also, it would be a connection opportunity with a rapid transit line identified by Hamilton Street Railway (the 'L line') that will go between Waterdown and downtown Hamilton.

* Cost: It would take a hell of a lot of money to ensure adequate car connections between Highway 403, and that a sufficient sized car garage and other station facilities are squeezed onto the site (or built upon adjacent sites). On top of this, the grade separations to ensure that there are no conflicts between trains (passenger/passenger or passenger/freight), and adequate bike and pedestrian access.

* Technical Requirements: Squeezing a 12-car GO train in here? Might need some track shifts...

* Environmental Impact: The station would need to ensure that all potential impacts to the surrounding Cootes Paradise are mitigated.

Considering what is there now, what would have to happen to do what you proposed, never will happen.

Having only 1 Amtrak train a day each way, Aldershot will be the main changing point to/from it as well GO. Getting extra tracks in in this area is no simple feat.

GO will replace VIA to Niagara Falls 100% to the point VIA has already cut service with GO running buses there now. Rail service will be peak at first, but all day will follow next with short trains with Hamilton being the hub for the bulk of the riders using the line

I was surprised as to what was done for this area a number of years ago for extra tracks placement, but it was the cheap way to go. To get 4 tracks into Hamilton will require a retaining wall along the edge of the Bay. This will be done under the Federal Environmental Act pertaining to water work with very strict standards how the work will be done.

Both CN and GO had a hard time getting that 3rd track through the Park Area. It maybe all it will see because of red tapes and hoops that tie their hands doing it.

Plains Rd Bridge will have to be replace to get 4 tracks in as well the bridge into the park. I have photos of the whole area I shot years ago before and during the construction phase. Not sure If I have after shots, but most likely..

View attachment 24035

Here's an alternate scenario: Run HSR to London via the Kitchener Line with a North-West GTA/Pearson stop (Transfer to UP express from the west) at Highway 27. You could then upgrade the existing Lakshore Line with express electric trains to James North.

If GO trains ever go to Brantford, It would be nice to see them continue as express trains from Aldershot.

Here's an alternate scenario: Run HSR to London via the Kitchener Line with a North-West GTA/Pearson stop (Transfer to UP express from the west) at Highway 27. You could then upgrade the existing Lakshore Line with express electric trains to James North.

If GO trains ever go to Brantford, It would be nice to see them continue as express trains from Aldershot.

In a report I wrote not to long ago, I call for GO going to Brantford with a stop at Dundas. I expect to see GO takeover all VIA service as far west as London and east to Kingston. VIA would run only HSR service express to London and Kingston.

I expect all GO lines now and future will support 200km service on those lines as EMU's.

You could also run Hamilton to London service as well.

There is a need for Pearson to London service with a wye connection to connect with the current ramp. It will end up doing more than the UPX in ridership numbers.

In a report I wrote not to long ago, I call for GO going to Brantford with a stop at Dundas. I expect to see GO takeover all VIA service as far west as London and east to Kingston. VIA would run only HSR service express to London and Kingston.

I expect all GO lines now and future will support 200km service on those lines as EMU's.

There is a need for Pearson to London service with a wye connection to connect with the current ramp. It will end up doing more than the UPX in ridership numbers.

I really like this idea of GO as a far-reaching regional service. I suspect with provincial funding they could do far better at it than the perennially cash-strapped VIA.

If you expect to see it, when do you expect it by?

I'm more than happy to get rid of VIA completely southwest of Toronto. The service to Kitchener at least is infrequent and expensive enough to make it a non-option. GO has plenty of strength in its network to make a competing rail service far more viable and popular than VIA could ever make it.

As for Pearson to London, do you mean via Kitchener or Aldershot? Also, would there be enough capacity/length at the UPX platform to convert the existing Pearson spur to a wye?

I'm also curious how a GO station at (the town of) Dundas would work given that the rail line is on the side of a cliff.

I'm more than happy to get rid of VIA completely southwest of Toronto. The service to Kitchener at least is infrequent and expensive enough to make it a non-option. GO has plenty of strength in its network to make a competing rail service far more viable and popular than VIA could ever make it.

As for Pearson to London, do you mean via Kitchener or Aldershot? Also, would there be enough capacity/length at the UPX platform to convert the existing Pearson spur to a wye?

I'm also curious how a GO station at (the town of) Dundas would work given that the rail line is on the side of a cliff.

You can do it both way under what I wrote. The KW line be upgraded to 2/3 tracks to London depending on the amount of rail traffic plan for the line under short line service.

The other way is by Aldershot using the Halton sub backup to the KW line. The line will have to be 4 tracks with a Milton Station.

I have only ridden VIA twice by Dundas as well on a GO Special, but never really look at it since it wasn't on my radar then.

With the 2nd track going in for Old Weston Rd under future plan since the new bridges are built to handle 2 tracks compare to the current one, I get the feeling we will see UPX service from Milton to the airport using a 2nd CP track on the MacTier Sub and then rejoin the KW line north of St Clair.

From what I recall of the area, yes you can put a wye in, but need to have a look at how is looks today with the tracks in place now. Setting up some site visit now, and this has been on my list of do thing for months.

If we were going to bring GO service to Kingston, we might as well go whole-hog and bring it to Ottawa for a truly province-wide GO network.

Back