News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

There are certain clearances for structures from the tracks. This is especially true on tracks that still have active freight trains operating on them.
I believe Metrolinx builds platform canopies with those clearances in mind.
What type of freight car has a cross section where the width at the top is wider than the wheelbase at platform level? AFAIK unless theres some exotic loads on flatcars, there shouldnt be any issue.

Exposed rain downspout, with aluminum tape. Corrugated ceiling.
I have no idea if you're being serious or not, but you're looking at an unfinished product and standard construction materials/practices.

The downspout isn't exposed, it's hidden within a steel beam that's going to be cladded over. This is a typical detail.
The "aluminum tape" is a sealing/joint tape. If you look closely, the downspout is wrapped in an insulation wrap to prevent it from freezing. The sealing tape is placed at the joints of the insulation wrap. This is a standard detail.

The "Corrugated ceiling" is the roofing deck. Made of steel. You're seeing the underside of it. This will be covered. Again, a standard detail. And if it were to be corrugated, for arguments sake, corrugated siding is a fine aesthetic both in painted steel and painted aluminum, and is hardly cheap considering the prices of raw materials nowadays.

Please understand what you're looking at first before commenting on such things.

What type of freight car has a cross section where the width at the top is wider than the wheelbase at platform level? AFAIK unless theres some exotic loads on flatcars, there shouldnt be any issue.
I think it just ensures the canopy will not overhang beyond the platform, unless it clears the vertical clearance.

I don't think this has been posted yet here. There will be small shift of the tracks to accommodate the OL here. I assume this wouldn't impact the speed limits for GO/VIA? cc @crs1026 @smallspy

Source: https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/...er-don-bridge-and-don-yard-early-works-report

1624574868766.png

We can see where they "saved" money on the project.
I ended up looking at the station today with someone and it not being cheap to build, but totally unfinished. Standard process for building or rebuilding stations.

I noticed they have tracks on the west side of the new centre platform, but they need to build a new bridge over Enterprise that will be west of the current 2 track bridge. New pier supports will have to be built to support the 3rd track bridge.

Steeles underpass.

The centre lanes west of the new ramp and Kennedy Rd being torn up and to be rebuilt for 7 lanes with turning lanes. Will speed up traffic going west once done.

The 3rd track at Unionville is a pocket track not intended to be extended further north, therefore no new bridge over Enterprise Drive is required.
I believe this track will allow for an all stop train to originate at Unionville, while a Lincolinville originating train can operate express to Union during rush hours. It will also be for the 15 minute service train making space for 30 minute service from further north.

All of them.

You have to take into account the fact that railway equipment will sway from side-to-side, and the further away from the pivot point of that sway - the trucks - the further out that it will reach. This is called the dynamic envelope, and it is noticeably wider than the static envelope that defines the size that the car fits into when it is standing still.

And this doesn't just apply to freight equipment. Everything does this.

Dan

"Train speeds are expected to increase in fall 2021 and more details will be shared with the community as those plans are confirmed."

I'm looking forward to seeing the updated schedules in the fall. As someone who used to take the GO train on a daily basis from Kitchener, it was amusing/frustrating to see people biking faster than the train along Kent Street. Does anyone have any insight on the tangible infrastructure improvements that were made to allow travel speeds of 80km/h in this stretch?

Does anyone have any insight on the tangible infrastructure improvements that were made to allow travel speeds of 80km/h in this stretch?
Nobody said they would run 80 in this stretch. They said the crossing signals will be calibrated to operate safely at 80 km/h using a test train that will travel at that speed under controlled conditions with additional temporary safety measures. That gives a margin of safety even if the eventual speed limit is lower.

The track received new rail, ties, and surfacing a couple years back. The remaining crossings have been rebuilt. Fencing has been installed.

So yes, the track is capable of higher speeds than the traditional 16 km/h. But what ML and the regulator will decide remains to be seen.

- Paul

Nobody said they would run 80 in this stretch. They said the crossing signals will be calibrated to operate safely at 80 km/h using a test train that will travel at that speed under controlled conditions with additional temporary safety measures. That gives a margin of safety even if the eventual speed limit is lower.

The track received new rail, ties, and surfacing a couple years back. The remaining crossings have been rebuilt. Fencing has been installed.

So yes, the track is capable of higher speeds than the traditional 16 km/h. But what ML and the regulator will decide remains to be seen.

- Paul
Should've clarified - the 80km/h was specifically for the test train, not regular GO/VIA operation. Still shows how far this segment has come that ~80km/h movements can be accommodated, even if it is with a test train and additional temporary safety measures.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of the City of Guelph's "Metrolinx's Level Rail Crossings" study currently underway and how that could build on the improvements already made to the rail ROW. I would imagine that this study would recommend the provision of additional safety measures and enhancements, hopefully leading to higher travel speeds in the future.

Oakville
The work taking place at Kerr St looks to be an upgrading or rebuilding the transmission line as well some prep work for the grade separation. The east side has a hole about 10' deep with new transmission line junction.

There is work to the west area for crew parking and going west of Dorval as well for the transmission line.

Going out on the limb, we may see work on Kerr in 2022 at the earliest, if then. No other work for other grade separation west of Oakville.

Port Credit
The west bridge over Port Credit Mary Fix Creek still in place, but no walkway from the tunnel to it with rebuilding the whole creek and possible being cover over for more GO Station parking. The new retaining walls are being form with the placement of an 36"{?} drain pipe. You can use the east walkway, but look out for bombing cycles using it. Nearly got ran drown today 2 fools that are supposed to be walking their bikes in this area. Not the first time I have seen this.

A number of Presto readers not working.

Back