News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Running late and with the rain, skip looking at the new tunnels under 401/409

Most of the new Weston east platform framing done and preparing to work on installing the platform edge starting at the north end. Once done, they can start working grading the platform to install the snow melting system. Work has started on the roof since all the structural framing is completed as well enclose the various area. Be spring if then we will see signs of elevators being install..

A slow moving target to get this platform open as well getting track 1 place in the station that will connect to the existing tack at each end.

Was planning on do the east end today but with running late and rain, scape that trip.

Went for a private flight today to see the fall colours and made a point to check out the construction in Waterloo and Guelph.

Future Breaslau Station
IMG_2347.jpg

I hope this gets built soon. I understand that Metrolinx wants the developer to the north to fund part of this station. With service increasing the region needs a true park and ride station much sooner than later.

Guelph Central Station:
IMG_2358.jpg

You can see that the 2nd track has been laid up until the end of the platform at the north of the photo (west end). More spans need to be replaced for the 2nd track to be extended west up to the Hanlon.

Speed River Bridge:
IMG_2361.jpg

2nd last span is being replaced. Soon the traffic nightmare will be over. To the left of the end of the eastern end of the platform (below the red brick building) is the staging area for the span replacement and soon to be used for the 2nd platform. They should announce construction soon (fingers crossed).

The 10 mph (16 km/h) speed limit through Guelph is finally gone!!! As of today, the speed limit as been lifted to 20 mph (32 km/h). The speed limit will continue increasing incrementally until it reaches 45 mph (72 km/h) on 6 December.

Capture8.JPG

Although it is only a small fraction of the eventual speed, the majority of the eventual travel time savings are actually realised in this phase.

The travel time savings through the 1-mile slow zone (relative to pre-construction) are:
20 mph - 3.0 minutes as of today
30 mph - 4.0 minutes as of 15 November
45 mph - 4.7 minutes as of 6 December
The above assumes constant speed as I described here.

Watching trains on GOTracker, it is really satisfying to see delays evaporate as trains travel through the former 10 mph zone.

The 6:32 train was approaching Guelph with a 9-minute delay...
Capture1.JPG

...which dropped to a 6-minute delay after the former 10 mph zone.
Capture2.JPG

The London train was approaching Guelph with a 5-minute delay...
Capture3.JPG

...which dropped to a 2-minute delay after the former 10 mph zone
Capture4.JPG

The delay for VIA 84 (pictured at the top) dropped from 74 minutes to 71 minutes. Unfortunately that wasn't enough time savings to avoid short-turning GO's westbound Kitchener trip at Georgetown.
Capture6.JPG

As far as I can tell, the blockage was actually caused by VIA 84, though the abnormally large delay to 84 was indeed caused by freight train traffic.

Last edited:
The 10 mph (16 km/h) speed limit through Guelph is finally gone!!! As of today, the speed limit as been lifted to 20 mph (32 km/h). The speed limit will continue increasing incrementally until it reaches 45 mph (72 km/h) on 6 December.

View attachment 358066

Although it is only a small fraction of the eventual speed, the majority of the eventual travel time savings are actually realised in this phase.

The travel time savings through the 1-mile slow zone (relative to pre-construction) are:

Watching trains on GOTracker, it is really satisfying to see delays evaporate as trains travel through the former 10 mph zone.

View attachment 358084
View attachment 358083

View attachment 358082
View attachment 358081

The delay for VIA 84 (pictured at the top) dropped from 74 minutes to 71 minutes. Unfortunately that wasn't enough time savings to avoid short-turning GO's westbound Kitchener trip at Georgetown.
View attachment 358090
As far as I can tell, the blockage was actually caused by VIA 84, though the abnormally large delay to 84 was indeed caused by freight train traffic.
I would love to see video of the train going faster through the area

View attachment 358066

View attachment 358084
View attachment 358083

View attachment 358082
View attachment 358081

View attachment 358090
Exciting!

In relation to the proposed Don Valley layover for GO.

Ok.......w/e one thinks of the various opposing group's positions............I give full points for creativity for this:

250627692_2953887691517684_4935911813723613121_n.jpg

Its by: Half Mile Bridge group

But I found it here: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2953887688184351&set=pcb.2759045197726182

It's little counter intuitive as a sign because it's using a resemblance of the City of Toronto's development application sign which gives the impression City Council may get a vote on the application/a City planner is the contact/the community consultation meeting will be held by the City/there's a City file number and the material is on the Application Information Centre. Since it's a Metrolinx project that's not the case with this project.

I think the local councillor even had Council pass a motion asking Metrolinx to relocate the storage facility.

Last edited:

Back