News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Random side note:

I just found this old UrbanToronto news post from 2016 announcing the construction of the parking garages at Rutherford... and Maple? The Rutherford one ended up getting built, but what happened to the Maple parking garage? Was there an announcement of a cancellation or what's going on?

There has to be a back story on why the hydro line wasn't moved before construction began.

- Paul
Cost.

As long as there is life in hydro infrastructure, they will remain as is unless someone else is paying for it move or order by council so say Toronto Hydro. This was the case on St Clair when the ROW was being built that Toronto Hydro refused to put the overhead underground until council order them to do so regardless of the cost or life in the poles. This has happen on a number of Toronto and other area projects.

The energy board as far as I know set a time frame how long X can remain in place before being replace with the various suppliers following those standards to a T. Why TTC has installed poles at various locations over the year to support there system as they were afraid the existing pole would bring it down over time.

Given the fact that new hydro poles are going up on the west side of Dundas north of Bloor to replace the existing ones on the east side that are about 1920 style as well too close to Metrolinx electrification of the corridor, I expect Metrolinx is pickup some of the cost and most likely move that pole in time.

That figures.

It sure looked like it would have been in the way during construction!

Maybe when they electrify, it will be worth moving.

- Paul
It will have to be move once electrify starts as its too low for Metrolinx liking.

The pole been there since day one when the station and corridor construction started.

There is some reason a decade or so ago why the line wasn't place underground and can't recall what it was other than cost at this time. Its on the line why there will be no tunnel access to the east.

hmm i walked by the simcoe street bridge, the one under the rail corridor, and theres a banner with AECON hung on it facing south. the winners of the oncorr contract? they werent a part of the Union station upgrade project
chances the union corridor are a part of that "early construction"?

Random side note:

I just found this old UrbanToronto news post from 2016 announcing the construction of the parking garages at Rutherford... and Maple? The Rutherford one ended up getting built, but what happened to the Maple parking garage? Was there an announcement of a cancellation or what's going on?

They actually got back to me on Twitter today. Looks like Rutherford took all the parking structure money available. The completion of station works in late 2025 is also news I don't think we've seen yet.
Screenshot_20220428-004436_Twitter.jpg

Bowmanville GO Extension RFP is out:

RFP for Construction Management at Risk for the Bowmanville Expansion Project

• This Request for Proposals is issued by Metrolinx to invite Proponents to prepare and submit competitive Submissions to perform work for the Bowmanville Expansion Project using a type of construction management at-risk project delivery model.
  • Metrolinx has retained a designer to develop the design for the Bowmanville Expansion Project.
  • Metrolinx is seeking firms that are qualified and experienced with construction management and construction, including experience with various contract delivery models, including construction management at-risk. Metrolinx has decided to use the construction management at-risk delivery model

I still don't understand why maple is getting a pedestrian bridge to cross major Mackenzie, but no additional parking that has been promised for over 6 years. They are actually taking away parking with the new expanded bus loop. Is the pedestrian bridge for people to cross and park in Vaughan's city hall parking lot, Haha. The bridge is only useful to shorten the walk to City hall no other added benefits, so looks like city employees got a nice added addition that only benefit them.
Bridge.PNG

I still don't understand why maple is getting a pedestrian bridge to cross major Mackenzie, but no additional parking that has been promised for over 6 years. They are actually taking away parking with the new expanded bus loop. Is the pedestrian bridge for people to cross and park in Vaughan's city hall parking lot, Haha. The bridge is only useful to shorten the walk to City hall no other added benefits, so looks like city employees got a nice added addition that only benefit them.
That site is being redeveloped and the pedestrian bridge will connect to the multi use path that goes all the way south to Rutherford GO.
1651287513424.png

Parking demand has fallen off a cliff. Rutherford is now way overbuilt and Maple also has the overflow lots just north that have opened since the initial parking structure promise was made. I wouldn't be surprised if MX announces some TOD at Maple with some parking built in.

That site is being redeveloped and the pedestrian bridge will connect to the multi use path that goes all the way south to Rutherford GO.View attachment 396791

Parking demand has fallen off a cliff. Rutherford is now way overbuilt and Maple also has the overflow lots just north that have opened since the initial parking structure promise was made. I wouldn't be surprised if MX announces some TOD at Maple with some parking built in.
I see the parking on Rodinea Rd now.. I didn't notice that was added. I use to take the maple Go in 2016-2017 ish and the parking was horrible not being able to get a parking spot after 7:15 -7:30 am. You couldn't risk parking in the Walmart/ marshals parking as you could get a ticket.

bike paths between Go stations, i know Vaughan is slowly expanding there bike paths. I assume they will expand this network, which will make it more usable.

That looks like it was designed by someone who drives to the office every day.
What makes it even more laughable is that the canopy does not lead to the nearest station building entrance (doors seen in the picture), instead it leads to the entrance ~10m further away. One can only wonder how they decided to build such a massive canopy, but somehow forgot to add a canopy over the nearest entrance...

Super intelligent bench placement at Rutherford GO

"Let's build a shelter, and benches, but put the benches just outside the canopy, so people will have to choose between sitting and getting wet, or standing and staying dry! Great idea!"
This should be brought up to ML as a potential deficiency. Clearly a bone headed move by a designer and contractor who didn't think

Back