News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It's the control point at the west end of the new siding, where the Fergus and Preston spurs connect to the Guelph Sub - between Alma and Silver Creek Parkway.

- Paul

Thanks. I had to visualize this so here's a map excerpt.

1707509344566.png

In the 2009 EA referenced and linked above, it looked like this (the PDF has a crisper copy. I put two pages together).

1707509503817.png

The timetable for adding a second through platform and accessible pedestrian tunnel at Georgetown GO keeps getting pushed back. I think it’s now Fall 2024 - the public IO 2023-03 Market Update doesn’t include it.

Metrolinx expropriated several land parcels between Heritage Rd and the Credit bridge. There’s been no announcement on why but hopefully it’s for the grade separation.
Is the VIA platform under the same rules? Because if I'm not mistaken VIA trains travel a lot faster through this area.

Is the VIA platform under the same rules?
No, the track serving the Via platform is one of the 2 mainline tracks of the Halton Subdivision. The speed limit will be set by the speed passenger trains are allowed to traverse the “ladder” of 4 switches at Silver, the junction W of the station where they cross to join the Guelph sub.

No, the track serving the Via platform is one of the 2 mainline tracks of the Halton Subdivision. The speed limit will be set by the speed passenger trains are allowed to traverse the “ladder” of 4 switches at Silver, the junction W of the station where they cross to join the Guelph sub.

Because the VIA routing never leaves the (signalled) main line, their trains receive signal indications that allow them to reach and depart from the south platform at higher speeds.
Trains routed into the GO platform pass through an unsignalled zone, meaning that the signals they pass before entry are more restrictive and the speed they are allowed through the entire zone is much lower.

- Paul

Thanks. I had to visualize this so here's a map excerpt.

View attachment 539480

In the 2009 EA referenced and linked above, it looked like this (the PDF has a crisper copy. I put two pages together).

That track layout tells the story. I'm guessing the end design will look different west of Guelph station.
The challenge for CN is where a freight train can lift or set off while GO trains are whizzing by every 15 minutes..... and how much paperwork they need to do their work every time they enter or leave signalled territory. At a minimum CN would need to be able to sit on the main line with enough headroom west of the Fergus spur to pull ahead (west) and then shove east (north) into the yard, while leaving some number of cars (ie the tail of a westbound freight) on the main line east of that switch.. Similarly CN would need to pull east and shove back down the G+G spur on the south side. Meanwhile ML may need both tracks to allow two or more Go or VIA trains to meet. The location and number of power switches and signals required, and potentially the need for service trackage on each side of the two main lines, gets complicated. And who pays for what ? I bet it's an interesting negotiation.

- Paul

That track layout tells the story. I'm guessing the end design will look different west of Guelph station.
The challenge for CN is where a freight train can lift or set off while GO trains are whizzing by every 15 minutes..... and how much paperwork they need to do their work every time they enter or leave signalled territory. At a minimum CN would need to be able to sit on the main line with enough headroom west of the Fergus spur to pull ahead (west) and then shove east (north) into the yard, while leaving some number of cars (ie the tail of a westbound freight) on the main line east of that switch.. Similarly CN would need to pull east and shove back down the G+G spur on the south side. Meanwhile ML may need both tracks to allow two or more Go or VIA trains to meet. The location and number of power switches and signals required, and potentially the need for service trackage on each side of the two main lines, gets complicated. And who pays for what ? I bet it's an interesting negotiation.

- Paul
That's a huge bottle neck that could be easily double tracked.

There have been two, potentially important, announcements regarding construction for the Kitchener Line, west of Mount Pleasant recently:
1707670247409.png

And the "METROLINX VENDOR ENGAGEMENT For construction of the Guelph Subdivision Construction Packages 2 and 4 – Kitchener Extension Program" released on Merx.

Can anyone provide accurate info on the scope of these works?

Potential work on the CN portion of the line might include:
  1. 3rd track from E of Georgetown GO station across the Credit bridge to W of Mount Pleasant GO station
  2. 3rd track through Brampton station
  3. additional track from Bramalea GO station to the start of the Metrolinx-owned Weston subdivision
  4. Rail-rail grade separation W of Heritage Rd and E of Credit bridge
Could Kitchener Extension Package 4 be the island platform and new access tunnel at Georgetown GO station? It was schedule to go to RFI later in 2024 but the design contract was awarded a long time ago.

Attachments

• 1707670103767.png
    1707670103767.png
    229.2 KB · Views: 9
There have been two, potentially important, announcements regarding construction for the Kitchener Line, west of Mount Pleasant recently:
View attachment 539933
And the "METROLINX VENDOR ENGAGEMENT For construction of the Guelph Subdivision Construction Packages 2 and 4 – Kitchener Extension Program" released on Merx.

Can anyone provide accurate info on the scope of these works?

Potential work on the CN portion of the line might include:
  1. 3rd track from E of Georgetown GO station across the Credit bridge to W of Mount Pleasant GO station
  2. 3rd track through Brampton station
  3. additional track from Bramalea GO station to the start of the Metrolinx-owned Weston subdivision
  4. Rail-rail grade separation W of Heritage Rd and E of Credit bridge
Could Kitchener Extension Package 4 be the island platform and new access tunnel at Georgetown GO station? It was schedule to go to RFI later in 2024 but the design contract was awarded a long time ago.
Re 2: as @SaugeenJunction found and posted here months ago, the design contract for the third platform at the Brampton Station has been awarded. It was said around the time through conversations that CN was designing the track. So maybe this is part of that process, or for the additional elements you've highlighted.

Back