News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I am steadily amazed at posters who think that just because something is “better”, we ought to give up our careful investments and buy the “better” thing just because it’s “better”.
Here’s a thought. Why don’t these bright minds write up a proposal that shows how (at today’s interest rates) it makes financial sense to sell our used bilevels (at whatever used market value you anticipate) and finance an order of the “better” ones.
Now show that the cost of financing, building, and operate these new “better” railcars will improve on the cost of retaining our existing GO fleet and running it to life end.
If such a pitch were available, some investors and lenders would already have gladly funded the new fleet and reaped the profit.
Full disclosure - I drive my autos until the bitter end, maintaining them in proper condition the full time. The limiting factor in how old my cars get before I replace them is the availability of parts. My last car was 14 when I traded it in, and I still wonder if that was too soon. Were there “better” cars on the market all that time? Certainly. But the economics of earlier replacement were not compelling.
ML’s mandate is not to have the “best” equipment available.

- Paul
I guess the question becomes, if we're buying new electric locomotives, would we ever not want to buy new bilevels to replace the old ones to continue to utilize those assets.

I guess the question becomes, if we're buying new electric locomotives, would we ever not want to buy new bilevels to replace the old ones to continue to utilize those assets.
There will likely come a point when certain things come up for refurbishment or retirement and service changes, when it will make sense to retire equipment. I think it'll be dependent on a critical mass, but it really boils down to cost effectiveness.

to put it into perspective... mind you an electric loco would have a faster acceleration vs diesel but MU is always going to beat out a push pull config
EMUs are faster accelerating but it was finally admitted by the person making this clip on reddit that the diesel train had a yellow light. Our GO train bi levels accelerate way faster than this

EMUs are faster accelerating but it was finally admitted by the person making this clip on reddit that the diesel train had a yellow light. Our GO train bi levels accelerate way faster than this
Fair enough though if ML is to have frequent service in the long term their trains need to be able to be reliably fast. Hopefully in the nearish future we can see EMUs being ordered

Back