News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

time for the monthly follow up question... what happened to the loco bid. who won?
I honestly think it's very likely MX may have cancelled that tender. There still hasn't been any awardee listed, so no contract has been executed yet. That means whoever would win would need to build 8 locomotives within less than a year (if the September 2024 timeline still is to be followed).

I honestly think it's very likely MX may have cancelled that tender. There still hasn't been any awardee listed, so no contract has been executed yet. That means whoever would win would need to build 8 locomotives within less than a year (if the September 2024 timeline still is to be followed).
😞

Then again, I highly doubt GO reactivated the controls in the rebuilt cab cars for no reason. It seems pretty obvious that the 13 locomotive order was meant to go alongside the extra 15 cab cars GO would receive when all of the 200 - 214 batch returned from North Bay (so far 7 have returned, 204, 206, 207, 208, 211, 212, and 214).

As of now, GO has 91 locomotives and 88 cab cars. When all of the 200-214 batch returns, that'll be 103 cab cars. Currently 200 - 214 have no purpose since the number of locos has been the same since they were deactivated, thus they would not be able to add more trainsets. If the 13 loco order does arrive, by 2025 GO should have 104 locomotives and 103 cab cars, which WOULD provide more trainsets.

The Metrolinx post regarding when someone asked about 13 locos said that they would NOT be retired even once they all arrive. So it seems they will be lasting until 2025 at a minimum.
At least they share common parts with a lot of locomotives still in service.

The Metrolinx post regarding when someone asked about 13 locos said that they would NOT be retired even once they all arrive. So it seems they will be lasting until 2025 at a minimum.
The new loco tender seems to be stuck in procurement purgatory. Maybe it got cancelled?

That's what I think. Though since MX seems to be adamant there will be more major service increases between 2024-2025, they would probably need more locomotives.
I guess there is nothing available on the used market either since we sold off the surplus F59PH's.

If Metrolinx were to purchase more locomotive today, would they be MP54AC's or something else? EXO in Montreal is purchasing Siemens Chargers.

If Metrolinx were to purchase more locomotive today, would they be MP54AC's or something else? EXO in Montreal is purchasing Siemens Chargers.
The Government of Ontario is also purchasing 3 Chargers for the Northlander. One would think adding 13 more for GO would help with parts, maintenance etc.

The MP54AC has been discontinued ever since the closure of the MPI plant. The only options I see are the Siemens Charger or EMD F125.

As we move to All Day Service 2 way, not every train needs to be 12 cars to the point they being 4-8 cars for most of the day with 8-12 cars at peak based on the route and ridership needs.

By having shorter trains, there is less need for MP40, MP54 or a Charger to move those shorter trains.

Its possible DB has said to ML to hold off on the purchase until we know what we will need to run the system or has said we need X from Alstom with an 2025/2026 that has to come from Europe.

Just because MPI plant has been close doesn't mean they can be built in another plant like Erie PA since that is where MPI was move to.

@Reecemartin Nice writeup on the case for EMUs on the front page. I definitely agree that planning for EMUs in the future opens a lot of possibilities up like cheaper guideways/tunnels and continuing to use our cheap Pearson guideway.

One different opinion I have is that the BiLevels shouldn't be retrofitted to improve their suitability for frequent services. On the contrary they should be retrofitted to improve comfort for longer trips, namely adding more comfortable row seating on the upper level. In a future with EMUs, the BiLevels would increasingly be concentrated on the longer distance services such as to Kitchener, Niagara Falls, Barrie and potentially new destinations like London, Brantford or Kingston. These services will (hopefully) make limited stops where they overlap with local services.

Back