News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

So now the question becomes, if GO were to get all 53 locomotives, where would they get all the cab cars necessary to run with them?
There's 90 locomotives in the fleet and 137 cab cars. If they brought every cab car back as a cab and not as a mid train coach, they would only be "short" 6 cab cars, and that's under the assumption that every single loco and every single cab car would be in use at the same time, which would not be the case.

There's 90 locomotives in the fleet and 137 cab cars. If they brought every cab car back as a cab and not as a mid train coach, they would only be "short" 6 cab cars, and that's under the assumption that every single loco and every single cab car would be in use at the same time, which would not be the case.
Makes sense.

Just to note though GO has 91 locomotives, 83 MPI units + the 8 F59s.

Reactions: T3G
GO is presently short on cab cars for the future, even if all the old cabs were rebuilt there will still be a significant shortage. A order must be placed and I suspect one will next year after the GO Expansion r&d phase is completed.

GO is presently short on cab cars for the future, even if all the old cabs were rebuilt there will still be a significant shortage. A order must be placed and I suspect one will next year after the GO Expansion r&d phase is completed.
Why is that? I don't doubt you're correct but the math doesn't seem to add up.

Why is that? I don't doubt you're correct but the math doesn't seem to add up.
GO Expansion is a lot more ambitious then what was proposed in the 2018 FBC, and as such more consists (and cabs) are needed than previously expected.

However, now that I think of it, maybe this locomotive order is in place of ordering more cabs, and they’re considering running double ended diesel trains with no cab cars, they can get up to 26 additional double ended diesel consists if they order 53 engines, which is 26 less cab cars.

GO Expansion is a lot more ambitious then what was proposed in the 2018 FBC, and as such more consists (and cabs) are needed than previously expected.

However, now that I think of it, maybe this locomotive order is in place of ordering more cabs, and they’re considering running double ended diesel trains with no cab cars, they can get up to 26 additional double ended diesel consists if they order 53 engines, which is 26 less cab cars.
There is a huge cost difference going from cab car to locomotives and is it worth doing???

If you have dual end motor power, you don't have to worry which direction it is facing which is standard in Europe.

In various European countries, it was common to see power at both ends for 8-10 car single level trains, well others ran power-cab setup.

There is a huge cost difference going from cab car to locomotives and is it worth doing???

If you have dual end motor power, you don't have to worry which direction it is facing which is standard in Europe.

In various European countries, it was common to see power at both ends for 8-10 car single level trains, well others ran power-cab setup.
I agree with you, it’s a huge cost difference but I genuinely can’t think of any other reason why GO would suddenly want 53 new engines and also show interest in keeping all the engines they currently have.

I agree with you, it’s a huge cost difference but I genuinely can’t think of any other reason why GO would suddenly want 53 new engines and also show interest in keeping all the engines they currently have.

Something to do with electrification perhaps? They could run an electric locomotive on one end and a diesel in place of a cab car on the other on the lines that can't be electrified end-to-end (Kitchener, Hamilton/Niagara, etc.) Purely a guess here, I know nothing...

Edit, immediate misgivings and a retraction: It's probably unsafe to push a heavy locomotive with a stack of (comparatively) light weight passenger cars...

Something to do with electrification perhaps? They could run an electric locomotive on one end and a diesel in place of a cab car on the other on the lines that can't be electrified end-to-end (Kitchener, Hamilton/Niagara, etc.) Purely a guess here, I know nothing...

Edit, immediate misgivings and a retraction: It's probably unsafe to push a heavy locomotive with a stack of (comparatively) light weight passenger cars...
As far as I know this isn’t being considered, but anything’s possible

I think the issue with that is simply that it defeats the purpose of having electric power in the first place. The main advantage of electric power is to get faster acceleration, but surely the amount of time you'd save using the extra power of the electric locomotive would be offset by the time you lose by dragging it around unnecessarily under diesel power.

If they wanted to gain the performance benefits of electric traction on services which continue outside of electrified territory, they need actual dual-mode locomotives. I don't see them ordering new ones, but they might buy all 20 of Exo's ALP-45DP locomotives if they can get a good deal on them. Exo doesn't have any electrified lines anymore so they'd probably be quite happy to be rid of them.

202 at Willowbrook. They haven't gotten around to installing the inter-car vestibule on it yet. It looks better this way.
1704934668427.png

Back