News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

While not visibly obvious from the photo except for the unit number (201), this would be one of the old school control cab cars. When it is refurbished, will it maintain its control cab cabability , or will it be reconfigured into an all passenger car? If it were to become an all passenger car, would it keep its original unit number, or be renumbered into the passenger car numbering series?

Almost all of the old cab cars have had some components removed from them which prevents them from being used as cab cars. They've also had some seats re-installed as well, which were removed when the cabs were enlarged 10-plus years ago.

I'm not sure of the exact scale of the work being done at ONR to "decab" them, as there are some structural elements inside the cars which will be difficult to remove, but as I understand it they will be outshopped in a new number series to signify their use as regular coaches once completed.

Dan

is it just me or is it that every time this thread gets updated, there is this excitment that finally a new train has been ordered or delivered, only to be disappointed...

I could have told them no one else has used hydrogen at the scale needed in about an hour and a half worth of Google searches. These studies should be studied for efficiency 🤣

I could have told them no one else has used hydrogen at the scale needed in about an hour and a half worth of Google searches. These studies should be studied for efficiency 🤣
Back in 2004/5 when were were working on the master transit plan for the Waterfront, we looked at all type of technology that could be used to service it and it it included hydrogen equipment. Hydrogen equipment was rule out as there wasn't the infrastructure around to handle the requirement to run the system including producing it nor the rolling stock at the time. Even subway and monorail were rule out to the point streetcar would work and be part of the current network.

A number of systems in Europe have place orders for small numbers of trains that it maybe just over 100 trains today. We are taking single level cars in 3-5 car sets.

As noted, a quick Google search will show hydrogen equipment to meet GO needs doesn't exist nor a system to produce the amount to service Go even if it a line or 2. The cost is a fraction what was done to rule hydrogen equipment out of the picture in a fraction of the time to produce the the current results. I will take 10% of that $7 million for my results.

The amount of money wasted on these reports for the trash bin would sure buy a lot of equipment or construction projects.

The joys of public transit planning. How much did these studies cost again?

There is a bit of a risk in this type of logic, that 'the government spent $x and nothing came of it'. I know virtually nothing of the background of hydrogen-transportation, and perhaps it was not justified in this instance, but to expect only positive outcomes of every public dollar is part of the reason we have the risk-adverse, ossified public bureaucracy that we have.

There is a bit of a risk in this type of logic, that 'the government spent $x and nothing came of it'. I know virtually nothing of the background of hydrogen-transportation, and perhaps it was not justified in this instance, but to expect only positive outcomes of every public dollar is part of the reason we have the risk-adverse, ossified public bureaucracy that we have.
Like others said, nothing about the price tag of the study was justified.

Like others said, nothing about the price tag of the study was justified.
You know that CP just signed a deal with Ballard to procure hydrogen locomotives right? Maybe their vision to have hydrogen powered trains was ahead of it's time b

Back