News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I don't think we've built anything very good . . .
In terms of older rolling stock: the MP54s, Blueliners, M1s, M2s, M3/M3As, M4s, M6s, Pioneer IIIs, Silverliner II to IVs, Arrow I to IIIs, The Highliners (I and II), South Shore Sharyo EMUs,

In terms of modern rolling stock: the M7/M7As, M8s, M9s, Silverliner Vs,

They would all like a word with you.

I don't think we've built anything very good . . .

Id like to state that its not like we arent capable of doing so,

its the TC Canada/FRA regulations that make it very hard.

Everything mainline thats nice over here, from the Caltrain to the Ottawa Trillium line trains, have been given a waiver of exception by the TC/FRA to exist

I mean yes, the stuff in Europe is just better.
North America was the gold standard for rail vehicles before Budd Died. ALCO, Budd, GE, Hawker Siddeley Canada, heck even the St. Louis Car Company were all excellent train manufacturers.

Not everything from Europe is automatically better. Remember the Pacers?

Some Bombardier railcars in Europe have had huge issues too.
Idk, iirc the Silverliners had a lot of issues? And yeah all of these trains look dated inside and out, even though some are pretty new.
Silverliner Vs, but they still run quite well now. The Silverliner II-IIIs were excellent vehicles and the Silverliner IVs are still running with no issues that I know of.

Appearance is also subjective. Personally, I love the look of the Silverliners, but that shouldn't matter when picking a vehicle. What matters is how well they run, whether it meets the required specifications, and how reliable they are.

I mean yes, the stuff in Europe is just better.

The line "the grass is greener...." comes to mind.

North America was the gold standard for rail vehicles before Budd Died. ALCO, Budd, GE, Hawker Siddeley Canada, heck even the St. Louis Car Company were all excellent train manufacturers.

Not everything from Europe is automatically better. Remember the Pacers?

Some Bombardier railcars in Europe have had huge issues too.

Not just Bombardier. Every single manufacturer has had its various failings over the years. The true measure is how they deal with them, and how the respective fleets do over their history.

And even then, some don't deal with them. Shall I point out Ansaldobreda, for starters?

Silverliner Vs, but they still run quite well now. The Silverliner II-IIIs were excellent vehicles and the Silverliner IVs are still running with no issues that I know of.

The older Silverliners certainly had teething issues of their own, from various little things with the Silverliner IIs due to all of the "new technologies" that they contained at the time, to major transformer issues with the IVs. But all-in-all, they have been very reliable throughout their careers, and so those teething issues get forgotten.

Appearance is also subjective. Personally, I love the look of the Silverliners, but that shouldn't matter when picking a vehicle. What matters is how well they run, whether it meets the required specifications, and how reliable they are.

It should also be pointed out that a very large part of the design in a lot of cases is also forced upon by the purchaser, and not the manufacturer. That's certainly the case with the Silverliner Vs. SEPTA kept tweaking and fiddling with the design until what we see was built.

Dan

20200711_140203.jpg

This is what we should see for the new fleet, but not the 3 seat. Be nice if some side views were shown of the train

Alstom and Bombardier unveil new French RER train

more side views

What exactly is the "performance enhancement program"? Software tweeks? Any plans for more on orde

Primarily software tweaks, with an eye towards reducing emissions/fuel use. When operating in their "normal" mode, each of the two engines will turn on or off as necessary to deliver the power required.

With electrification "happening", it's unlikely that they will purchase any more diesels for the foreseeable future.

Dan

Back