News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Will this put enough strain on the fleet to finally require usage of the refurbished cab cars?
Moving this from the service thread.

I genuinely do feel as though the April service changes might be finally the time we see these, now infamous at this point, cab cars in service.

They all right now are in on of the Willowbrook canopy tracks, lined up 9 in a row, seemingly ready to be placed on consists.

Moving this from the service thread.

I genuinely do feel as though the April service changes might be finally the time we see these, now infamous at this point, cab cars in service.

They all right now are in on of the Willowbrook canopy tracks, lined up 9 in a row, seemingly ready to be placed on consists.
We've been hearing recently about a new strategy of splitting 10/12 car weekday trains into 6 car weekend trains by embedding an old-style cab car in the consist. And now we've just heard that Lakeshore is about to get a big increase in weekend service. So I think that this could indeed be the moment that those new cab cars start finding themselves 6 cars back from the locomotive in a 10 or 12-car consist.

We've been hearing recently about a new strategy of splitting 10/12 car weekday trains into 6 car weekend trains by embedding an old-style cab car in the consist. And now we've just heard that Lakeshore is about to get a big increase in weekend service. So I think that this could indeed be the moment that those new cab cars start finding themselves 6 cars back from the locomotive in a 10 or 12-car consist.
That's what I believe would happen.

Though 1 minor gripe I have (that is more just a foamer thing than an actual issue lol), is that the widening white part of the cabs would make the paint schemes look a bit wonky.

Though 1 minor gripe I have (that is more just a foamer thing than an actual issue lol), is that the widening white part of the cabs would make the paint schemes look a bit wonky.
Just when you thought the days of mis-matched consists spattered with old MTO green coaches were getting fewer, they still find a way to screw things up. :p

Forgot to mention, saw this interesting arrangement at the Whitby Maintenance Facility yesterday. Two seemingly deactivated older cab cars (judging by the lack of mirrors, wipers, and a bell), in front of 3 newer cab cars each.
View attachment 545090
Seems as though more and more of the deactivated cab cars are being pulled from their consists and are being stored at yards. Noted 237 and 225, which were originally midset on consists, now also at Whitby.

Maybe they can bury two old cab cars in the middle and match trumpet to trumpet. :)

I’m 99% sure it deadheads back to Lewis Yard In Hamilton, someone correct me if I’m wrong. Metrolinx intends to build a layover space for a single train in Niagara Falls, procurement should happen this year. I’m sure that would include shore power.

Little late getting to this:

1710597598736.png

Having caught up on this thread, and posted this makes me want to ask @smallspy what the ultimate plans are for Lewis Yard (ie will it be further expanded or is this it?)

Last edited:
Little late getting to this:

View attachment 548662

Having caught up on this thread, and posted this makes me want to ask @smallspy what the ultimate plans are for Lewis Yard (ie will it be further expanded or this it?)
This will only be for the morning train(s) that start in Niagara Falls.

Lewis Road has an ultimate capacity of 8 trains, and it is planned that much of the service starting the day from West Harbour will be based from here.

Dan

This will only be for the morning train(s) that start in Niagara Falls.

Lewis Road has an ultimate capacity of 8 trains, and it is planned that much of the service starting the day from West Harbour will be based from here.

Dan

Thanks, Dan.

Quick follow up, given the future size of Lewis does it make any sense (ultimately) to have more storage capacity NF or is that space spoken for by future station enlargement? (second platform etc.)

Thanks, Dan.

Quick follow up, given the future size of Lewis does it make any sense (ultimately) to have more storage capacity NF or is that space spoken for by future station enlargement? (second platform etc.)

The simple math is - imagine Lewis pumping trains out in the morning - how many trains does it need to launch before the first train from Toronto arrives (wherever the end of line may be) to turn back the other way?
Alternatively, consider when the last train of the evening is likely to depart NF for Toronto? How many runs ex Toronto will arrive after that last turnback?
I can certainly imagine St Catherines launchin a couple runs to Toronto every morning, but until someone solves the Seaway issue, I can't imagine NF originating more than a couple runs inbound.
This is the first that I realised that signalling is also contemplated.... getting rid of the short stretch of dark territory into the Falls is a very timely investment.

- Paul

While passing by Willowbrook, noticed several refurbished cab cars moved to the west end of Willowbrook. One of them, 211 had its numberboards illuminated, along with its interior lights.
IMG_8478.jpeg

Thanks, Dan.

I can recall years ago that there was talk for multiple layover locations at Niagara Falls - for both GO and VIA. I have no idea of those plans are still in force.

I'll have to ask around to see if anyone has any updates on what the plans are for service down there. A lot of the older planning projections are no longer valid as much of what is being done there now is under the guise of "from above", rather than planned organically.

Dan

I can recall years ago that there was talk for multiple layover locations at Niagara Falls - for both GO and VIA. I have no idea of those plans are still in force.

I'll have to ask around to see if anyone has any updates on what the plans are for service down there. A lot of the older planning projections are no longer valid as much of what is being done there now is under the guise of "from above", rather than planned organically.

Dan
I seem to recall there being a Niagara EA that roughed out a yard concept.

Back