News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Granted, but seeing as how UPX trains already pass through some of these areas, shouldn't an hourly train schedule be able to pass without too much trouble? And with CN as well? In the case of Guelph, there would possibly be only a couple of trains passing to/from Kitchener. I was thinking more Mount Pleasant-Union, again with a couple of twins extended to/from Kitch.
There are a LOT of weekends before the end of the calendar year where the line will be completely closed through Guelph - more than will be weekends where the line is open, in fact.

Considering that, there's really no point in announcing a weekend service to Kitchener right now. It's expected that it will be announced to start in February or March, once all of the work is done on the bridge through Guelph (and for which construction is already projected to be finished late).

They could relaunch weekend service to Mount Joy or (more likely) Bramalea now, but it sounds like they want to get a bit more of the construction done along the other sections of line first before doing so.

Dan

Edit: Of course, I've just written all this completely forgetting that they are projected to make some BIG service changes as early as October, so.........I guess we'll see?

There are a LOT of weekends before the end of the calendar year where the line will be completely closed through Guelph - more than will be weekends where the line is open, in fact.

Considering that, there's really no point in announcing a weekend service to Kitchener right now. It's expected that it will be announced to start in February or March, once all of the work is done on the bridge through Guelph (and for which construction is already projected to be finished late).

They could relaunch weekend service to Mount Joy or (more likely) Bramalea now, but it sounds like they want to get a bit more of the construction done along the other sections of line first before doing so.

Dan

Edit: Of course, I've just written all this completely forgetting that they are projected to make some BIG service changes as early as October, so.........I guess we'll see?

You would know better than I; but given an election next June, I think the government will want to rollout at least 2 major sets of improvements.

They would want the last set in place at least 90 days before the election so that its 'real' and people feel the improvement.

Dan

RIP VIA service.

Weekend service to Bramlea would be great. I was there in 2018 just as they closed sections off for construction. Some weekends service on the Kitchener line is all I ask for now.

You would know better than I; but given an election next June, I think the government will want to rollout at least 2 major sets of improvements.

They would want the last set in place at least 90 days before the election so that its 'real' and people feel the improvement.

I'm not sure they need to show end to end completion on anything. There is actually a lot of stuff they can use for their publicity, things that are close enough to "take to the bank" and that demonstrate that they have been getting work done:

- Crosstown will be closer to testing, and Eglinton will have much of its disruption removed
- Finch LRT will be well into construction
- Hurontario LRT will be well into construction
- Hamilton GO is running, and there can be groundbreaking(s) for the Hamilton LRT
- Woodbine Station will be under way
- Procurement will have concluded for the West-of-Silver Kitchener upgrades
- Possibly procurement announced for Brampton-Silver upgrades
- Bramalea Station will be completed
- Weston Station will be completed
- Mount Dennis Station will be completed
- Cedarvale GO station will be under way
- Agincourt and Milliken GO stations will be close to complete
- Davenport overpass will be well along
- Bowmanville groundbreaking?

I don't expect GO on the London route to amount to much before the election....it will take 2022 at best to improve the track, and GO isn't said to be planning much more than getting service up to where it was pre-COVID. Just showing the flag with a GO train or two per day will be enough to allege "progress".

- Paul

I'm not sure they need to show end to end completion on anything. There is actually a lot of stuff they can use for their publicity, things that are close enough to demonstrate that they have been getting work done:

- Crosstown will be closer to testing, and Eglinton will have much of its disruption removed
- Finch LRT will be well into construction
- Hurontario LRT will be well into construction
- Hamilton GO is running, and there can be groundbreaking(s) for the Hamilton LRT
- Woodbine Station will be under way
- Procurement will have concluded for the West-of-Silver Kitchener upgrades
- Possibly procurement announced for Brampton-Silver upgrades
- Bramalea Station will be completed
- Weston Station will be completed
- Mount Dennis Station will be completed
- Cedarvale GO station will be under way
- Agincourt and Milliken GO stations will be close to complete
- Davenport overpass will be well along
- Bowmanville groundbreaking?

I don't expect GO on the London route to amount to much before the election....it will take 2022 at best to improve the track, and GO isn't said to be planning much more than getting service up to where it was pre-COVID. Just showing the flag with a GO train or two per day will be enough to allege "progress".

- Paul

Outside of forums like UT and railways forums, I don't think most people give credit for construction. That's just noise, dust, too expensive and taking too long.
People give credit for results they can feel.

Your parents were on a waitlist for homecare, they got into the newly opened home. They were in care, but in a 4-bed ward room, they got into a new home that's much nicer and 2 to a room.

Likewise with transit, if people can't take it, its not tangible. I therefore think, 2-way-all day on Stouffville, weekend service to K-W (hourly), and additional periods of 15-minute service on Lakeshore will be priorities as those can be felt.

Its not that your wrong to give credit for construction, but parents are more excited when there kid is IN the daycare spot, than watching the daycare get built.

Outside of forums like UT and railways forums, I don't think most people give credit for construction. That's just noise, dust, too expensive and taking too long.
People give credit for results they can feel.
Seriously, go look at literally any comments section on any article about a project.

The top will be someone bitching it will never be finished, even if the article is that it's ahead of schedule. Hordes will be agreeing.

There will be a pile of shitty jokes about delays and cost, derailing any serious discussion.

Someone claiming to be a business or property owner nearby will cry that the construction has ruined their life, and folks will pile on anyone pointing out how much better a position they will be in when it is finished.

Near the bottom, the closest thing to a meaningful discussion will be a bunch of ****ing small government types screaming about how it should all be privatized. Or if it is a private project that it was somehow subsidized.

Granted, but seeing as how UPX trains already pass through some of these areas, shouldn't an hourly train schedule be able to pass without too much trouble? And with CN as well? In the case of Guelph, there would possibly be only a couple of trains passing to/from Kitchener. I was thinking more Mount Pleasant-Union, again with a couple of twins extended to/from Kitch.
Yes. It has been physically possible to run weekend service to Bramalea ever since the Georgetown South project was nominally completed in 2015, with local GO service sharing the UP tracks. The UPX timetable has always been designed such that the eastbound and westound service meet at Wice (Pearson Junction), which leaves a ~10 minute gap for a different eastbound service to pass through the junction onto the eastbound UP track without conflicting with UP trains in either direction.
Capture.JPG

The main caveats are that Etobicoke North station doesn't have any platforms on the UP tracks, so an off-peak GO service sharing the UP tracks would need to skip that station. And although it is possible to run 15-minute local service through the single-track segment just east of Bramalea, doing so would use pretty much all of its capacity, leaving no room for VIA, CN or other thru services. In practice the local service would need to be limited to every 30 minutes to leave room for other services:
Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
It didn’t hurt that there was a TFC match and an Arkells concert at Ontario Place this evening
It wouldn't have. Though from the angle of the sun in that video, that was the train that departed Exhibition at 6:22 pm. Those from the TFC game would have left at 10:22 or 11:22 pm.

Wow, and there's now a 12:22 AM train from Exhibition to West Harbour. That's pretty impressive weekend service! My only quibble would be that that on weekends, for the first 3 hours of service, trains only come from Aldershot.

Ironically, the weekend service (other than early morning) is now better than the weekday service on Lakeshore West, which is still only hourly in the evening. I'm not sure why, given that Lakeshore West ridership is typically slightly higher than Lakeshore East, and Lakeshore East is back to half-hourly ... though presumably that will fix itself soon.

Hopefully they add a weekday 11:13 pm train from West Harbour - that would make getting to evening games at Timmies stadium easier.

Hopefully GO can start running better service from Union-Bramalea at least 30 min on weekdays and hourly on weekends so it could combine with UPX and its 15 or 30 min service as soon as the fourth track is finished or if they strategized their service patterns for now. It would optimize the airport corridor drastically. Brampton will have more options for if they want to connect with GO at Malton or UPX at Pearson via the Brampton 505 Zum extension (which i’m so excited for i would honestly break if it isn’t introduced in September), as well as people that want to travel between those stations can easily as well.

The second weekend of West Harbour GO service seems to be attracting some solid ridership! Who would have guessed that if you improve service, people will use it 😜

I took the train to West Harbour today (early afternoon). Wouldn't say it was overly crowded, particularly after Burlington when a majority of the passengers disembarked, but there were a decent number of people waiting to board the return eastbound train at West Harbour, and even more when I boarded my own return train a couple hours later. It was nice to be able to jump off the train and be within a few minutes' walk of the patios on James St.

One thing that stood out was how slow the train is west of Aldershot, it basically crawls from that point until reaching West Harbour. Is this primarily for safety reasons (i.e. the giant curve around the harbour), freight train priority, or a combination?

One thing that stood out was how slow the train is west of Aldershot, it basically crawls from that point until reaching West Harbour. Is this primarily for safety reasons (i.e. the giant curve around the harbour), freight train priority, or a combination?

That stretch has never been an expressway, but some of the key turnouts that GO trains use are only good for 25 mph, and the new signalling system is designed to match. The choice of 25 mph turnouts is due to lack of space, there are things in the way that prevent stretching the crossovers further.

- Paul

Last time you made the claim that VIA was outcompeted by private bus companies in the London-Toronto corridor, I disproved it here.

Prior to the pandemic, VIA's market share was double that of Greyhound's. (Greyhound was the only bus company running London to downtown Toronto at the time). VIA ran fewer trips per day, but had 4.5 times more capacity per trip. And a typical VIA trip was 16 minutes faster than a typical Greyhound trip (2:09 vs 2:25). Or to look from another perspective, VIA ran 4 trips per day which took 2:10 or less, while Greyhound ran 3.

Both VIA and Greyhound had similarly poor reliability.

capture-jpg.322362
knipsel-jpg.322364

capture3-jpg.322363

There is certainly lots of latent demand, and certainly lots of room for improvement for VIA, but you can't claim that the private bus offerings are significantly better than what VIA was offering.

I don't know what you expect for "good via service" from London to Toronto but it certainly beats driving.

And it is pretty busy most days. A lot of people go to Aldershot or Oakville and not all the way to union. This is something to the bus service doesn't do.

NJ transit had a train to Atlantic city. This could be like the GO version.

Last edited:

Back