News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for Metrolinx to begin planning a standalone London GO network with downtown London as the hub? Four lines going in the cardinal directions, with terminus stations at Strathroy, Port Stanley, Woodstock, and Stratford(/Kitchener).

The thing is, its secretly a London-Kitchener line, but the whole Union Station focus is tradition for GO and that’s why we don’t have lines like the Toronto Midtown or multiple lines going in other directions starting in like Hamilton or Oshawa or London. If ML takes their mind off of Toronto and focus on building a proper rail system to the province, we wouldn’t have this issue of 4 hour train rides of only 200km, even if you could think that London-Kitchener and Kitchener-Toronto are 2 separate lines, just interlined with each other.

This London to Toronto talk hurts my head,

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for Metrolinx to begin planning a standalone London GO network with downtown London as the hub? Four lines going in the cardinal directions, with terminus stations at Strathroy, Port Stanley, Woodstock, and Stratford(/Kitchener).

London should be built up as a regional employment centre rather than yet another bedroom community for Toronto.

QFT London-Hamilton and the noted London-Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph should have some massive transit connections.

QFT London-Hamilton and the noted London-Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph should have some massive transit connections.

We are almost there.

As far as existing lines, we just instated the London-Kitchener train, and pending more frequency and better trackage it will offer service to London-Kitch-Guelph.

Kitchener to Cambridge will be served by the LRT. Cambridge to Guelph will be served by the Cambridge GO extension planned along the Fergus sub.

Hamilton is the difficult one. Theres a line from Guelph to Hamilton but half of it is a CP mainline. London to Hamilton is a CN mainline.

London should be built up as a regional employment centre rather than yet another bedroom community for Toronto.
I completely agree.

London needs BRT and bus service to Toronto.

There's a VIA train that goes from London to Toronto in 2h15. It departs London at 6:30am and costs $42. You arrive in Toronto at 8:45 - 30 minutes before the GO train. In other words if you want to go from London to Toronto for a commute, that's the train for you.

While I do agree that reverse direction commutes to London are a good idea, you seem to be missing the point of this extension. This is a pilot to gauge the demand of people wanting to commute to Waterloo from London. If this even gets a modicum of success, it can prompt the government of Ontario to invest money into upgrading the tracks which can see travel times drop to almost an hour to Kitchener. It is a baby steps first approach. On top of this, I'd argue that even the current proposition is fairly appealing to some. Many jobs in Kitchener start at 8am, and a 2 hour travel time is actually fairly competitive to driving during rush hours, and especially once Kitchener GO gets rebuilt, GO train users will be able to take the train directly to Kitchener where they can transfer onto the iON and get to work from there. Don't forget that Waterloo especially is a growing tech hub with companies like Google and Amazon opening major offices and branches there, and as housing prices increase throughout the GTA, the appeal of such a train especially once the tracks are upgraded would be quite high. But for now we just have baby steps.

Pearson? Idk about that. If someone's destination is Pearson, they're almost certainly more likely to use London Airport (which should probably be the first infill stop added to this extension later on alongside maybe New Hamburg) to fly to Pearson and connect directly to whatever flight they want, rather than sit on a train for 2+ hours first. What most likely the service pattern will be ultimately is all stops to Bramalea, and then express all the way to union with occasional intermediate stops, maybe Woodbine and Bloor.
My issue is the 4 hour trip. That's a long time, and I'm not sure either the conductors/staff and riders are ready for it.

My issue is the 4 hour trip. That's a long time, and I'm not sure either the conductors/staff and riders are ready for it.

There are washrooms nearby with plenty of opportunity to steal 5 minutes here and there; and they can bring both water and snacks with them; a 5-hour run shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The split-shift (9am through 4pm break) to return back to London would make it a bit of a nightmare. If it can be treated as a single 20-hour shift followed by a 2 to 3 day break then I'd go for that.

Last edited:
I can't imagine that anyone who can't adapt to 4-5 hour shifts would chose a career as a crew member for a passenger rail service...
The CSA on GO trains between stations with long gaps just reads a book. Based on my experience being in the same car pre covid. So unless there’s in incident they’ll have plenty of time to read between Kitchener and London. Sweet gig.

Exactly right which is why this will basically fail.

Metrolinx and GO are transit organization designed and built for Torontonians and assumes that that's where everybody wants to go. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't even a single Londoner at the Board meeting.

The London commuter shed of about a 60km radius is now over 800,000 and growing at one of the fastest rates in the country. The City itself is already at 435,000. Despite this, this "service" does absolutely nothing for any of them. London is an ideal. centre for a commuter rail system because it a rail centre with spokes going out in all directions. Added to this is that London has no urban freeways and a generally lousy road network with horrific traffic for it's size. When compare to any other city in the country of a less than a million people, London has the worst traffic by a long shot. This means that commuter trains going downtown really are time competitive with taking the car and in many potential routes would be significantly faster. This is a draw that few mid-sized cities benefit from.

Exactly right which is why this will basically fail.

Metrolinx and GO are transit organization designed and built for Torontonians and assumes that that's where everybody wants to go. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't even a single Londoner at the Board meeting.

The London commuter shed of about a 60km radius is now over 800,000 and growing at one of the fastest rates in the country. The City itself is already at 435,000. Despite this, this "service" does absolutely nothing for any of them. London is an ideal. centre for a commuter rail system because it a rail centre with spokes going out in all directions. Added to this is that London has no urban freeways and a generally lousy road network with horrific traffic for it's size. When compare to any other city in the country of a less than a million people, London has the worst traffic by a long shot. This means that commuter trains going downtown really are time competitive with taking the car and in many potential routes would be significantly faster. This is a draw that few mid-sized cities benefit from.
To put things into perspective: by your own number, there are only 365,000 people (i.e. somewhere between the respective CMA populations of Windsor and Victoria) living outside the city of London, but within its commuter orbit. In the meanwhile, the GTHA population which lives outside the city of Toronto (3.4 out of 6.3 million people) still outnumbers the entire CMA population of Vancouver.

To put things into perspective: by your own number, there are only 365,000 people (i.e. somewhere between the respective CMA populations of Windsor and Victoria) living outside the city of London, but within its commuter orbit. In the meanwhile, the GTHA population which lives outside the city of Toronto (3.4 out of 6.3 million people) still outnumbers the entire CMA population of Vancouver.
Hm. The thing is, London's not big enough to be a hub (except with trains to Sarnia, Windsor, Kitchener, and Hamilton), but it's large enough to have traffic woes.

What is to be done?

Personally, I am not convinced of the need for London-centric commuter service, except where it can be interlined with intercity trains towards the 4 cities mentioned above.

Hm. The thing is, London's not big enough to be a hub (except with trains to Sarnia, Windsor, Kitchener, and Hamilton), but it's large enough to have traffic woes.

What is to be done?

Personally, I am not convinced of the need for London-centric commuter service, except where it can be interlined with intercity trains towards the 4 cities mentioned above.

Can there be a meeting in the middle here?

London, aside from employment, draws from beyond its urban boundary for shopping, healthcare (London Health Science is the primary hospital for all of S-W Ontario ); but also for education with Western and Fanshawe.

It has moderate sized communities nearby from which it draws, including St Thomas and Woodstock.

I'm not about to suggest that those connections require hourly GO Service with L12s......LOL
But there is certainly the case for GO Bus service, and perhaps for rush-hour/every other hour rail service with much shorter, smaller trains.

Carefully interwoven with mainline through services from Windsor/Sarnia to the west, K-W and Toronto to the east, and Hamilton/Brantford to the south-east, there could be a pretty respectable service level there.
Clearly the City itself needs to invest considerably more in transit as part of evolving a culture of use around such things. But there is something there to build off, I think.

Can there be a meeting in the middle here?

London, aside from employment, draws from beyond its urban boundary for shopping, healthcare (London Health Science is the primary hospital for all of S-W Ontario ); but also for education with Western and Fanshawe.

It has moderate sized communities nearby from which it draws, including St Thomas and Woodstock.

I'm not about to suggest that those connections require hourly GO Service with L12s......LOL
But there is certainly the case for GO Bus service, and perhaps for rush-hour/every other hour rail service with much shorter, smaller trains.

Carefully interwoven with mainline through services from Windsor/Sarnia to the west, K-W and Toronto to the east, and Hamilton/Brantford to the south-east, there could be a pretty respectable service level there.
Clearly the City itself needs to invest considerably more in transit as part of evolving a culture of use around such things. But there is something there to build off, I think.
GO Bus is a good idea.

I think the city needs BRT more than commuter buses. And 10-15 minute frequency on major arterials, at least 16 hours a day, seven days a week.

^I don't detect the same single-destination, dense downtown employment district in London. There's no direct "If we don't build GO, we will run out of freeway capacity" business case as there was when GO started in Toronto. There are many trips but many end points, a great many not downtown. Bedroom communities outside London exist, but commuting is more dispersed. I doubt that any of the communities that one could connect to downtown London by rail would fill more than a DMU or two.

London desperately needs investment in transit, but a Regional network is not sustainable yet. I would definitely argue for better stops and connectivity in those outlying towns, however, for VIA and (where it happens) GO intercity/regional. That would probably suffice.

- Paul

Back