News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

They'd be stupid not to have the train in place by Victoria Day long weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until June with how nonsensical their service has been lately.

people expect a whole new rail extension to happen on a whim.

I know for a fact many people who moved to bowmanville SPECIFICALLY for the rail extension. Realisticly probably not going to happen till closer to 2030
London was only possible in the short amount of time because
The stations are already there, (no idea why all doors don't open at stratford and london), asked the engineer but doesnt know either... my theory is they measured the L12 cab from the crossing at Stratford.
the track is already there (in bad shape) , but some speed restrictions have been lifted to 60mph causing them to be about 5 minutes early to Stratford consistently there is also space for storage tracks on the north side that could be used for go storage?

In terms of freight traffic, I think only CN L568 runs, the very occasional CN L540 and also the GEXR local from Goodrich.

For the Bowmanville extension...
there are currently no tracks to connect from Oshawa go to the bridge they are planning to use.
its on the CP Belleville sub so that's one of their mainlines to Montreal but to be fair... i havent' seen much CP trains lately, in fact on the CP Galt sub (milton line) i only saw 1 eastbound train the whole midday. it wasn't until late evening that substantially more trains came by
the stations aren't even constructed.

Most rail extensions do not happen overnight...

I mean can we mention Confederation GO too? Was supposed to be completed in 2019, the "tender" was issued spring 2020.. and literally not a peep in 2 years. Like, a construction tender should close and see construction a few months later. What's going on? Why hasn't Metrolinx said anything?

It's ridiculous how quickly some projects go from "conceptual" to holes in the ground (the Eglinton West LRT tunnel) while others linger on forever, like the Highway 6 bypass around Morriston, the new Highway 7 between Kitchener and Guelph, and some of the GO Transit projects, like Confederation and Casablanca.

The province is full steam ahead for the Bradford Bypass, while 7 New has been on the books since the 1980s.

It's ridiculous how quickly some projects go from "conceptual" to holes in the ground (the Eglinton West LRT tunnel) while others linger on forever, like the Highway 6 bypass around Morriston, the new Highway 7 between Kitchener and Guelph, and some of the GO Transit projects, like Confederation and Casablanca.

The province is full steam ahead for the Bradford Bypass, while 7 New has been on the books since the 1980s.
Morriston Bypass does finally have an early contract issues like the Bradford Bypass, but yea, still not the main package.

7 New has clearly been a political tool for decades and no government seems to want to foot the bill to actually build it.

The word on the street is that we can expect GO train service reinstated to Niagara Falls by the long weekend. However, no one at Metrolinx is allowed to say anything right now. Guess it’s in the hand of the big political leaders of this province.

Maybe we’ll see an announcement next week. This week seems to be unlikely. I’m open to take bets!

The word on the street is that we can expect GO train service reinstated to Niagara Falls by the long weekend. However, no one at Metrolinx is allowed to say anything right now. Guess it’s in the hand of the big political leaders of this province.

Maybe we’ll see an announcement next week. This week seems to be unlikely. I’m open to take bets!

The announcement - should it be loaded with PC MPPs - would have to come before the writ is drawn. So soon. Otherwise, it'd be Metrolinx making the announcement on its own, without any pomp, as all government ministries and agencies have to go into "caretaker mode" until the next government is elected, names its cabinet, and opens the legislature with a Speech from the Throne.

Such "caretaker mode" periods allow for government functions as usual, but no major news or changes to operations should come during this time. Resuming some suspended GO operations really shouldn't be subject to this, but with the hyper-politicizing of minor transit improvements under Murray, Del Duca, and now Mulroney/Ford, I'm not so sure.

Now that London is about to get 3,000 ex-Torontonian downtown government workers, maybe GO will actually provide USEABLE a service to London.

200 people choosing to take a service scheduled for 2h40h including a transfer to a slow bus, may well correspond to 800 people on a direct train scheduled for 2h10. Remember that ridership is also heavily influenced by the quality of service offered, and casual riders have a strong preference for direct trips and for trains rather than buses. The option to conveniently carry a bike aboard also attracts many riders who wouldn't take the indirect bus.
Slight off topic but since I can't message you

Using the wayback machine I was able to get more go train schedules up to about 2005 and maybe further back. Would you like these for your schedule archive?

Slight off topic but since I can't message you

Using the wayback machine I was able to get more go train schedules up to about 2005 and maybe further back. Would you like these for your schedule archive?

I'd be interested in reminiscing on the Kitchener (then Georgetown) Line if you have the wayback link.

At $10 weekend funday pass is it really a cash cow for GO Transit?
The $10 weekend pass is classic price discrimination, and can be more profitable in some cases. People who care about price and wouldn't have taken the service otherwise will buy the pass and use the service. People who don't care about price and would've used the service regardless will tap their Presto card. I see tons of people tapping their Presto cards on weekends even when the weekend pass is more economical. Some will switch from Presto to the weekend pass even though they would have used the service regardless, but depending on how many people do this, it can be more profitable. I'm pretty sure this is why they don't offer the weekend pass on Presto.

The $10 weekend pass is classic price discrimination, and can be more profitable in some cases. People who care about price and wouldn't have taken the service otherwise will buy the pass and use the service. People who don't care about price and would've used the service regardless will tap their Presto card. I see tons of people tapping their Presto cards on weekends even when the weekend pass is more economical. Some will switch from Presto to the weekend pass even though they would have used the service regardless, but depending on how many people do this, it can be more profitable. I'm pretty sure this is why they don't offer the weekend pass on Presto.
Because that would make too much sense. I wish they would do it especially as there isn’t any co fare with GO and local transit agencies anymore. I don’t know if you could show your weekend pass locally but if you can then its pretty much the entire GTHA is in your hands to travel for only $10 or $15 for the whole weekend. That fact alone would drive up ridership massively if it was introduced on presto so maybe they’ll probably wait until there is more weekend service to introduce it.

Back