News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

So I've been wondering this for a while now

It is to my knowledge that with GO Expansion the Stouffville and Kitchener lines will be fully interlined like the Lakeshore line, correct?

If that's the case, how would the Barrie Line work, as right now it is also semi aligned with the Stouffville line on weekdays and nearly fully aligned on the weekends. Would it operate as a stand alone line?
At this present time, its a stand alone line.

If and when the Milton line can become all day, it could be part of the Barrie Line, but not holding my breath on it.

So I've been wondering this for a while now

It is to my knowledge that with GO Expansion the Stouffville and Kitchener lines will be fully interlined like the Lakeshore line, correct?

If that's the case, how would the Barrie Line work, as right now it is also semi aligned with the Stouffville line on weekdays and nearly fully aligned on the weekends. Would it operate as a stand alone line?
At rush hours, that is incorrect. The only lines that will interline and run-through at Union will be the Lakeshore Lines, and even then it won't be all of the services on those lines. All of the others will turn back at Union.

They may run-through the services at off-peak times but that's dependent on a whole bunch of factors that, to the best of my knowledge, haven't been decided upon yet.

Dan

At rush hours, that is incorrect. The only lines that will interline and run-through at Union will be the Lakeshore Lines, and even then it won't be all of the services on those lines. All of the others will turn back at Union.

They may run-through the services at off-peak times but that's dependent on a whole bunch of factors that, to the best of my knowledge, haven't been decided upon yet.

Dan
Doesn't that tie up valuable platform resources at Union with crews needing to walk the length of the train to drive the train back where it came from?

Doesn't that tie up valuable platform resources at Union with crews needing to walk the length of the train to drive the train back where it came from?
It has to happen at the end of the line regardless if its Union or Mount Pleasant or X. The amount of time that the train sits there is subject to its own line schedule; other interline schedule; as well how long it takes to off load/load. Then there is the in/out bound traffic that cross that track at Union as well other lines using the same track going the same direction of the train.

Yes, but it takes almost as long for a train to travel the length of the long platforms.

A single track has a throughput of 6 trains per hour if they all run through.

With "double berthing" - having two trains stop on the same track and reverse back out - they can get 8 trains per hour per track, 4 in each direction.

Dan

Yes, but it takes almost as long for a train to travel the length of the long platforms.

A single track has a throughput of 6 trains per hour if they all run through.

With "double berthing" - having two trains stop on the same track and reverse back out - they can get 8 trains per hour per track, 4 in each direction.

Dan

Do we not need even more throughput than you note above, for the GO RER service plans? (I'm hearing peak-headway of 5M as a goal)

I'm curious about the very short track 4th down from the top on the west end? Could they be moving UP from a dedicated station? I can't think of any other west end train in regular service that would be that short....
They have publicly stated that the plan for UP is to discontinue it and replace it with a regular service, including moving the station to Union proper.

They have publicly stated that the plan for UP is to discontinue it and replace it with a regular service, including moving the station to Union proper.
Current UPX Union Station location is closer to SkyDome Rogers Centre. Longer walk if moved to Union proper.

Current UPX Union Station location is closer to SkyDome Rogers Centre. Longer walk if moved to Union proper.

Others have pointed out, Union is the more likely origin/destination of most UPX passengers.

As apart from that, replacing UPX with regular GO service, should it properly serve the airport, with mainline track, the potential exists for far greater convenience for passengers coming from the north-west, and for more frequent service, with greater capacity. No reason for sadness with this development.

Do we not need even more throughput than you note above, for the GO RER service plans? (I'm hearing peak-headway of 5M as a goal)
They do. Which is why it's going to be necessary to stock popcorn to see how they plan to implement what they have planned.

(In all seriousness, by my eye it looks like they should be able to attain about 75 moves/hour with that new projected layout.)

Dan

It has to happen at the end of the line regardless if its Union or Mount Pleasant or X. The amount of time that the train sits there is subject to its own line schedule; other interline schedule; as well how long it takes to off load/load. Then there is the in/out bound traffic that cross that track at Union as well other lines using the same track going the same direction of the train.
Yeah but it's a lot cheaper to add platform capacity at the outer ends of lines than it is knock down the skyscrapers next to Union. Hence the need for through running.

Back