News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

As noted earlier, Union Station bus routes are being detoured to various suburban terminals to avoid downtown congestion.

Lakeshore West Corridor
Route 16 Hamilton-Toronto Express is cut back to Aldershot (so now it just duplicates Route 18 Hamilton-Aldershot). If GO actually wanted to minimize delays to their customers, they would have cut route 16 back to somewhere like Clarkson, Port Credit or Long Branch, allowing the buses to travel non-stop from Hamilton down the HOV lanes of the QEW rather than making passengers sit through every single stop on the local train.

Richmond Hill Corridor
Route 61 Richmond Hill (Bloomington-Union) is detouring to Hwy 407 Station. The previous stop is Richmond Hill Centre, so this is probably the best option if the bus can't serve Union. Going to Finch or Don Mills would take about the same time in total, but be less reliable than going across the 407.

Barrie Corridor
Route 65 Newmarket (East Gwillimbury-Toronto) is detouring to Hwy 407 Station. So currently to get from Barrie Bus Terminal to Union Station departing at 09:57, you'd need:
- Shuttle bus from Barrie Term to Allandale (10 minutes incl transfer)
- Route 68 to Aurora (1h35)
- Route 65C to Hwy 407 Stn (10 min transfer + 23 min drive)
- Line 1 to Union (6 min transfer + 42 min ride)
Total: 186 minutes (3h06) Barrie - Union.

In the previous schedule (which had off-peak trains and bus service to Barrie term), this trip would have been:
- Route 68 from Barrie Term to Aurora (1h40)
- Barrie Train to Union (15 min transfer + 51 min train)
Total: 166 minutes (2h46) Barrie - Union

They could easily mitigate this difference by splicing together routes 68 (Barrie - Newmarket) and 66 (Newmarket - Hwy 407 Stn):
- Route 68B from Barrie Term to East Gwillimbury (69 min)
- Route 66 (actually the same bus) to Hwy 407 (50 min)
Total: 167 minutes (2h46) Barrie - Union
To serve the East Gwillimbury-Aurora segment the current 65C Aurora-407 buses would be converted to 65 East Gwillimbury-407 buses which also provides the benefit of eliminating the transfer in Aurora for Newmarket passengers.

Stouffville Corridor
In the last schedule (when there were still off-peak trains), a trip from Mount Joy to Union was:
- Stouffville train to Union (53 minutes)
Total: 53 minutes Mount Joy - Union

Now that there are no longer off-peak trains, and the replacement buses are also being detoured to Hwy 407 (duplicating route 54 Mount Joy - Hwy 407), that trip is:
- Route 71E Mount Joy - Hwy407 (40 min)
Total: 88 minutes (1h28) Mount Joy - Union

Interestingly, GO seems to have arranged temporary Presto fare integration for passengers transfering from GO to the TTC at Hwy 407 stn:
Capture.JPG

No mention of fare integration for passengers transfering from the TTC to GO though.

Conclusion:

Even if we accept that GO buses can't go downtown, these detours are far more disruptive than they would have been if GO had actually designed bus schedules around the simultaneous closures of the Union Station bus terminal, the Barrie line off-peak trains and the Stouffville line off-peak trains.

The website's rationale for these diversions is that the traffic was bad last year, which means that they have had an entire year to come up with such a schedule.

Now we are stuck with these buses running at unpredictable times, since the travel times included in their schedule have nothing to do with the actual travel times along a completely different route.

Last edited:
As noted earlier, Union Station bus routes are being detoured to various suburban terminals to avoid downtown congestion.

Lakeshore West Corridor
Route 16 Hamilton-Toronto Express is cut back to Aldershot (so now it just duplicates Route 18 Hamilton-Aldershot). If GO actually wanted to minimize delays to their customers, they would have cut route 16 back to somewhere like Clarkson, Port Credit or Long Branch, allowing the buses to travel non-stop from Hamilton down the HOV lanes of the QEW rather than making passengers sit through every single stop on the local train.

Richmond Hill Corridor
Route 61 Richmond Hill (Bloomington-Union) is detouring to Hwy 407 Station. The previous stop is Richmond Hill Centre, so this is probably the best option if the bus can't serve Union. Going to Finch or Don Mills would take about the same time in total, but be less reliable than going across the 407.

Barrie Corridor
Route 65 Newmarket (East Gwillimbury-Toronto) is detouring to Hwy 407 Station. So currently to get from Barrie Bus Terminal to Union Station departing at 09:57, you'd need:
- Shuttle bus from Barrie Term to Allandale (10 minutes incl transfer)
- Route 68 to Aurora (1h35)
- Route 65C to Hwy 407 Stn (10 min transfer + 23 min drive)
Total: 186 minutes (3h06) Barrie - Union.

In the previous schedule (which had off-peak trains and bus service to Barrie term), this trip would have been:
- Route 68 from Barrie Term to Aurora (1h40)
- Barrie Train to Union (15 min transfer + 51 min train)
Total: 166 minutes (2h46) Barrie - Union

They could easily mitigate this difference by splicing together routes 68 (Barrie - Newmarket) and 66 (Newmarket - Hwy 407 Stn):
- Route 68B from Barrie Term to East Gwillimbury (69 min)
- Route 66 (actually the same bus) to Hwy 407 (50 min)
Total: 167 minutes (2h46) Barrie - Union
To serve the East Gwillimbury-Aurora segment the current 65C Aurora-407 buses would be converted to 65 East Gwillimbury-407 buses which also provides the benefit of eliminating the transfer in Aurora for Newmarket passengers.

Stouffville Corridor
In the last schedule (when there were still off-peak trains), a trip from Mount Joy to Union was:
- Stouffville train to Union (53 minutes)
Total: 53 minutes Mount Joy - Union

Now that there are no longer off-peak trains, and the replacement buses are also being detoured to Hwy 407 (duplicating route 54 Mount Joy - Hwy 407), that trip is:
- Route 71E Mount Joy - Hwy407 (40 min)
Total: 88 minutes (1h28

Interestingly, GO seems to have arranged (temporary) fare integration with the TTC via Presto:
View attachment 470734
No mention of fare integration for passengers transfering FROM the TTC though.

Conclusion:

Even if we accept that GO buses can't go downtown, these detours are far more disruptive than they would have been if GO had actually designed bus schedules around the simultaneous closures of the Union Station bus terminal, the Barrie line off-peak trains and the Stouffville line off-peak trains.

The website's rationale for these diversions is that the traffic was bad last year, which means that they have had an entire year to come up with such a schedule.

Now we are stuck with these buses running at unpredictable times, since the travel times included in their schedule have nothing to do with the actual travel times along a completely different route.
That Richmond Hill trip is going to faster taking Viva blue to Finch.

They could have run trains to meet buses at Leslie, but I guess they don't have crews for that.

That's with taking the subway to Sheppard and then downtown. I'm talking about running GO trains to Leslie.
Going to Oriole would take about the same time in total, but would make the trip far more risky by transferring to a train that runs every hour instead of every 6 minutes.

Current Detour Route RHC-Union:
- RHC to 407 (10 min)
- Line 1 to Union (6 min transfer + 42 min train)
Total: 58 minutes

Detour Route RHC-Union via Oriole GO:
-
RHC to Oriole (21 min)
- Richmond Hill train to Union (15 min transfer + 29 min train)
Total: 65 minutes

Going to Oriole would take about the same time in total, but would make the trip far more risky by transferring to a train that runs every hour instead of every 6 minutes.

Current Detour Route RHC-Union:
- RHC to 407 (10 min)
- Line 1 to Union (6 min transfer + 42 min train)
Total: 58 minutes

Detour Route RHC-Union via Oriole GO:
-
RHC to Oriole (21 min)
- Richmond Hill train to Union (15 min transfer + 29 min train)
Total: 65 minutes
Interesting. It's only 42min from 407 station to Union?

Do you need me to show you how to look up transit schedules?
A bit rude, considering at least in my circles nobody has ever been that far up.

Go seems to be the worst when things go wrong. The every 2 or 3 months the move the schedule around doesn't help. I saw at exhibition if you need the elevator you need to call two days before for a shuttle!

Interesting. It's only 42min from 407 station to Union?
Considering ATC is fully implemented on this side of Line 1 its believable that it could take only that amount of time.

On another note, I wonder why they don't ever use Kipling as a detour location. Its not only their own terminal that they could be using but they literally have one of their own routes going there. If the 16 could use the 407 for most of its trip to Kipling from Hamilton it would take about 45-60 mins, then as for the subway itself it varies depending on where the riders' final destination is. At least with this option they can get there in a more precise way, if there were to not be any delays/closures as well.

On another note, I wonder why they don't ever use Kipling as a detour location. Its not only their own terminal that they could be using but they literally have one of their own routes going there. If the 16 could use the 407 for most of its trip to Kipling from Hamilton it would take about 45-60 mins, then as for the subway itself it varies depending on where the riders' final destination is. At least with this option they can get there in a more precise way, if there were to not be any delays/closures as well.

45-60 minutes to Kipling, plus how long to Union on the subway? That's got to be way longer than LSW-Union for riders headed anywhere within a few minutes' walk of Union and probably for any south-of-Bloor Line 1 stations too.

Also, with the recent security incidents on the TTC, vs. GO not having as much of a problem, I expect there are many GO riders who are still willing to take GO if they work within walking or biking distance of Union but would not consider getting on the TTC (I personally have several family members who have this mindset; I've been driving since the pandemic since I have a high-risk condition but I would be making the same choice myself). So keeping the detour within the GO network also keeps that in check. I don't expect that's a huge percentage of passengers but I doubt that it's negligible.

45-60 minutes to Kipling, plus how long to Union on the subway? That's got to be way longer than LSW-Union for riders headed anywhere within a few minutes' walk of Union and probably for any south-of-Bloor Line 1 stations too.

Also, with the recent security incidents on the TTC, vs. GO not having as much of a problem, I expect there are many GO riders who are still willing to take GO if they work within walking or biking distance of Union but would not consider getting on the TTC (I personally have several family members who have this mindset; I've been driving since the pandemic since I have a high-risk condition but I would be making the same choice myself). So keeping the detour within the GO network also keeps that in check. I don't expect that's a huge percentage of passengers but I doubt that it's negligible.
Honestly even the go has been bad at times for me.

Lady was threatening to shoot people

In the last few months I haven't taken a 20+ min ride on line 1 without some sort of suspension or delay

ATC doesn't seem to have made much of a difference on line 1 to be frank. There are so many other disruptions that improved headways and other ATC benefits pale in comparison.

ATC doesn't seem to have made much of a difference on line 1 to be frank. There are so many other disruptions that improved headways and other ATC benefits pale in comparison.

ATC has created greater potential throughput (currently going unutilized)

It should have reduced instances of signal failure {on Line 1); not sure if that is the case or not.

It cannot impact suicides, trespassers at track level or smoke from debris making contact with the power rail unless Platform-Edge-Doors are also installed.

ATC has created greater potential throughput (currently going unutilized)

It should have reduced instances of signal failure {on Line 1); not sure if that is the case or not.

It cannot impact suicides, trespassers at track level or smoke from debris making contact with the power rail unless Platform-Edge-Doors are also installed.
My experience with ATC on line 1 has been disappointing. The slowdowns in many parts are still happening.

Back