News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Given the facts that there is a lots of screws ups and cost over runs on the Georgetown Line, real work will not start until 2016. Some simple work like adding the 2 tracks is spots that will not interfere with the current line could happen before then, as well bridge widening.

At present time, the west diamond is on part hold, as they have to design the floating slab, as the waterline in not where it was supposed to be. $$ change order plus the cost of redesigning.

The sub pier support for the Queen St bridges are too short and will have to be raise about 75mm and have more grout place under it. $$ change order.

The Bloor bridge is in the wrong location and has to be shifted. On top of that, the soil investigation was flaw to the point that the current foundation needs to be beef up. $$$

The Dupont bridge had a number of problems and cases $$ change orders. Even Brock and Lansdowne bridges were not spare.

Because of timeline to meet various funding timelines, a number of things were rush out the door that caused all kinds of issues as well $$. In some cases, its going to cost more to add to some of these project because no real time was used to look at the big picture than that one item.

Contractors and trades follow the plans prepared by the consultations under GO/Metrolinx control and supervision.

The opening of the Brampton station was delay more, as the camera were forgot to be order and was noticed when the station was to open.

Gee!!! did a fair number of TTC employees switch company's, as this is the one hand not talking to the other hand problem that TTC has today.

Brutal!! Were these errors by the contracted design firms, by Metrolinx, or by the construction contractors? If it's #1 or #3, there may be grounds for a potential lawsuit there.

Direct rail service to MCC would be a great idea, but it should be a branch of Georgetown line, not a branch or diversion of Milton...
Georgetown! That would be about a 14 km line through Mississauga, if you could do it as the crows flies ... it's only 3 km to the Milton line. It would be a lot shorter off the Lakeshore line, if you could find the alignment.

I don't think there's any question where you'd build it. Metrolinx was talking a branch, rather than a diversion.

I'm wrong that they don't release them? Do you have a different definition of wrong?

Oh hang on ... you mean that they don't release them?

Forcing it out of them with a FOIA is hardly a release!

Sorry, I misread the original sequence of posts.

GO does record the stats, and does not release them publicly. I have older copies that have been given to me by contacts, so I have never had to ask GO directly for them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I also think that rather than GO moving north to serve MCC, MCC should stretch south to meet GO. With the LRT along Hurontario as a central spine, and the Cooksville GO station at the south end, those are both pretty strong forces to pull high density development further south along Hurontario.

Remember that Cooksville is one of the four precincts in the newly-approved "Downtown Mississauga" (the other three being the City Centre, Fairview, and the Hospital). That means, the unlimited building heights will stretch from the 403 all the way down to the QEW (from the previous boundary at Burnhamthorpe). And add to that the Uptown area (Hurontario-Eglinton), then that stretch will be the busiest area in the 905 for sure.

And I agree too that the LRT can serve both nodes by itself.

I completely disagree that the Georgetown/Kitchener line should serve Square One. I just don't see it as feasible at all. If you think a Milton diversion to serve Square One is extensive and expensive, a Georgetown/Kitchener diversion to Square One would be even more problematic.

A Milton branch would be approximately 7 km long and be partly underground, and mean reduced service for the two busiest stations on the Milton. It would also require huge increase in capacity in the Milton corridor itself, where capacity is already extremely limited, unless the branch service or the main service are infrequent.

A branch of the Georgetown line would be approximately 12 km long and be entirely above ground, and it would not compromise service for either Georgetown or Milton lines.

A Milton branch is just not feasible. And a Milton diversion eliminating the Erindale and Cooksville stations is simply a bad idea.

A Milton branch would be approximately 7 km long and be partly underground, and mean reduced service for the two busiest stations on the Milton. It would also require huge increase in capacity in the Milton corridor itself, where capacity is already extremely limited, unless the branch service or the main service are infrequent.

A branch of the Georgetown line would be approximately 12 km long and be entirely above ground, and it would not compromise service for either Georgetown or Milton lines.

A Milton branch is just not feasible. And a Milton diversion eliminating the Erindale and Cooksville stations is simply a bad idea.

Where do you get 7km from? It's under 2km from Cooksville up to Square One.

And the branch to Square One wouldn't necessarily have to be a branch of the Milton Line, so it wouldn't have to reduce the frequencies further up the line. It's quite possible that it would be the Midtown line. Run the Midtown line interlined with the Milton line from the Junction, through Kipling, to just east of Cooksville. Then have the Midtown line veer north in a tunnel, and the Milton line continue westward on its current alignment.

I don't think anyone has proposed a diversion. Metrolinx proposed a branch. I can't imagine why you'd think building a branch that is about 5 times as long, and runs 3 sides of a square, off the Georgetown line would make sense. How could this possibly be above ground ... unless you ... good grief, are you really proposing that it split off the Georgetown line at Etobicoke North GO, and then down the hydro corridor and Mississauga Transitway ROW, all the way back south to Square One? That would make the trip about 45 minutes long, instead of the 30 minutes that you'd get with a short connection off the Milton line.

I really think you need to look closely at the map!

Free GO Train rides on Sunday to celebrate new service
Join MPP John Milloy, Kitchener Centre, and MPP Liz Sandals, Guelph, and Metrolinx officials to mark the start of GO Train service to Kitchener and Guelph.

On Sunday, December 18, there will be free rides on a special GO Train that will operate between our new Kitchener and Guelph Central GO Stations. GO Bear, our mascot, will also be there to shake hands and charm the kids.

Train times for December 18 are as follows:
Trip direction
Departs
Arrives
Eastbound
Kitchener GO Station at 1:00 p.m.
Arrives at Guelph GO Station at 1:22 p.m.
Westbound
Guelph GO Station at 1:35 p.m.
Kitchener GO Station at 1:57 p.m.
Eastbound
Kitchener GO Station at 2:15 p.m.
Guelph GO Station at 2:37 p.m.
Westbound
Guelph GO Station at 2:50 p.m.
Kitchener GO Station at 3:12 p.m.
On December 19, GO Train service is coming to Guelph and Kitchener!
During morning rush hour:
· The existing weekday eastbound 6:47 a.m. train from Georgetown GO Station will now start at the Kitchener GO Station at 5:52, serve the Guelph Central GO Station at 6:14, then stop at Georgetown and all other stations along the route. Times between Georgetown and Union Station remain the same with arrival at Union at 7:53.
· A new weekday eastbound train trip for the entire line will depart Kitchener GO Station at 7:10 a.m., serve Guelph Central GO Station at 7:32, Georgetown at 8:05, Mount Pleasant at 8:14, Brampton at 8:21, Bramalea at 8:29, Malton at 8:35, Etobicoke North at 8:41, Weston at 8:46, Bloor at 8:53 and arrive at Union Station at 9:08.
During afternoon rush hour:
· The existing weekday westbound 4:45 p.m. train from Union will now serve Georgetown at 5:46 p.m., Guelph Central at 6:18 p.m. and Kitchener at 6:42
· The existing weekday westbound 5:45 p.m. train from Union will now serve Georgetown at 6:46, Guelph Central at 7:18 and Kitchener at 7:42.
Check the complete Kitchener schedule.
The new Guelph Central GO Station is located at Wyndham & Carden, and one-way adult GO Train fare to Union Station is $11.70. The new Kitchener GO Station is located at Weber & Victoria, and one-way adult fare to Union is $14.60. Use our Fare Calculator to find the fare for a different destination.
Georgetown line will be called Kitchener GO Train line
With the extension of the Georgetown GO Train line to Kitchener on December 19, the line will be renamed the Kitchener GO Train line.

Here's a map of the Milton line (orange), Georgetown line (red), and MCC (yellow). There's no question that if a new spur is built it would be off the Milton line.

294jel2.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how a "spur" to MCC would work, exactly?

I'm not sure what you mean, but I would assume it would operate as a separate line from the Milton one, kind of how the ARL is supposed to branch from the Georgetown line.

I think it would be even better to do a similar thing with Scarborough Centre and the Stouffville line. If it can be built before the RT goes out of service it could replace the need for running buses for 4 years. Actually it could even replace the need to rebuild the RT.

2h81ctw.jpg

And it would be easier than a Mississauga one since the ROW is already there.

Last edited:

Back