News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Very true. My worry with the spur to STC is that there is no clear open alignment from the rail corridor to STC, and that one would need to be made. The EA process for this would bring it into the same timeframe as the completion of the SLRT. If there was a rail corridor (even an abandoned one) still there, I'd say go for it. But without even a ROW existing, it would be pretty tough to whip that together in time.

There actually is the abandonned Canadian Northern Railway corridor running through the area - The Bloor-Danforth line runs on it from Victoria Park station to Kennedy, and the SRT extension was to use it to get to Malvern. It could be used, as the only part that has truly been lost to history is the part directly under the mall. If you look northeast of Kennedy Station you'll see a row of backyards which don't exactly fit the local street pattern.

When the CNoR and the Grand Trunk were folded into Canadian National, this line was abandonned in favour of the slightly more direct GT line to Montreal.

There actually is the abandonned Canadian Northern Railway corridor running through the area - The Bloor-Danforth line runs on it from Victoria Park station to Kennedy, and the SRT extension was to use it to get to Malvern. It could be used, as the only part that has truly been lost to history is the part directly under the mall. If you look northeast of Kennedy Station you'll see a row of backyards which don't exactly fit the local street pattern.

When the CNoR and the Grand Trunk were folded into Canadian National, this line was abandonned in favour of the slightly more direct GT line to Montreal.

Ah yes, I know the line you're speaking of. If memory serves me correctly, part of that ROW has been infilled with townhouses. Also, it travels very near STC, but not close enough to actually serve it.

The closest thing to a complete ROW that exists between the Stouffville line and STC is the small stretch of land just south of the 401. They may be able to squeeze in a single track there, but even that's tight.

The closest thing to a complete ROW that exists between the Stouffville line and STC is the small stretch of land just south of the 401. They may be able to squeeze in a single track there, but even that's tight.
I believe that there there is a bit of the SRT tail track in this ROW just east of Ellesmere yard. And that the SRT extension to Malvern was going to follow much of this ROW to near Neilsen/Tapscott.

I believe that there there is a bit of the SRT tail track in this ROW just east of Ellesmere yard. And that the SRT extension to Malvern was going to follow much of this ROW to near Neilsen/Tapscott.

It is. I was referring to the stretch between Eglinton and Ellesmere. Much of it has been infilled. The corridor north of the 401 has been very well preserved, my guess is specifically for the SRT.

Bit of an "operational issue" (what does that mean anyway) on the new K-W service. Apparantly the first train was a few minutes behind schedule and the second one (which I was targetting to intercept at Brampton at 8:21) was way behind schedule. Turns out I was downtown (by car) before it even left Brampton!

I am sure they will sort these things out but kinda a bit embarressing on the first day!

Bit of an "operational issue" (what does that mean anyway) on the new K-W service. Apparantly the first train was a few minutes behind schedule and the second one (which I was targetting to intercept at Brampton at 8:21) was way behind schedule. Turns out I was downtown (by car) before it even left Brampton!

I am sure they will sort these things out but kinda a bit embarressing on the first day!
I was wondering how they thought they could do the run from KW to Georgetown so much faster than VIA! Someone at GO must have egg on their face ...

The 2nd train from KW was late due to crew not manning the train in time. They man the train in the layover at 7:08. Train pull out about 7:12 and departed the station at 7:20

The first train departed on time to the point it was a few minute early arriving at the station.

I counted 7 personal leaving the 2nd train before the crew arrived. On top of that, close to another dozen in the shack or on the south side of the track. Not sure why so many. Guess first day backup if things went wrong with the power.

Both trains are L10L with FP's on the west end and MP's on the east end. Cab car is part on the makeup.

The big problem I see GO having, is the crossing barriers not coming down sooner to the point the GO trains have to come to a full stop. VIA seems to have no problem for some reason, other a few stay down too long.

The other thing I saw, VIA was kick dirt going eastbound, while GO crawls after clearing the close road.

As a few days ago, Both Via and VIA must have a flagman at that road closure. This means all trains must come to a full stop before crossing it. Some say it has to do to cars going around the fencing on the north side. Did see a few cars go around the fence and do a backup over a u-turn.

From what I could see for the first train, good numbers and over 50 on the north side.

As for the platform not being finish, paperwork not in order, from what I was told.

The ramp went up in 48 hours from what I was hearing.

The fan run was delay on Sun due to a CN freight breakdown and blocking VIA.

After watching VIA trains, the 6:36am trip had riders only in the first car, leaving the other 3(?) empty.

All westbound cars are empty, except for the first car. That last train was really empty with very few riders in the first of 8 cars plus baggage car.

I know GO will be gaining a few car people who work in Guelph after I told them about the $.50 bus fare to ride both system with the GO fare. 2 people said this will help them not to deal with the Hwy 7 mess when there is snow or accident.

While waiting for the 2nd GO train in Guelph, I saw a freight going westbound and it was traveling faster than the GO trains for some reason.

Video's and photos should be on line Wed or Thurs.

I know GO will be gaining a few car people who work in Guelph after I told them about the $.50 bus fare to ride both system with the GO fare. 2 people said this will help them not to deal with the Hwy 7 mess when there is snow or accident.
I'm not sure how the current schedule will be of much benefit to those living in Kitchener and working in Guelph. The last train to get to Guelph, leaves Kitchener at 7:10 AM and gets to Guelph at 7:32 AM. The first train leaving Guelph to go back to Kitchener doesn't leave until 6:18 PM, getting back to Kitchener at 6:42 PM.

If one is working an 8 AM to 6 PM schedule, it might work. And it might be especially useful on snow days. But I can't imagine there will be too many regular commuters at those times. If one wants to drive leaving Kitchener at 7:10 AM, and leave Guelph at 6:18 PM, one has already missed much of the traffic!

This run, could really benefit from having an RDC shuttling back and forth between Guelph and Kitchener all day. Though that would really require better signalling, and the completion of the second track.

This run, could really benefit from having an RDC shuttling back and forth between Guelph and Kitchener all day. Though that would really require better signalling, and the completion of the second track.
Or better yet, set it up for a few inbound runs towards Kitchener in the morning, and outbound in the afternoon. And also start the Kitchener runs west of Kitchener so there's provision for something of a Kitchener-centric commuter pattern as well. Maybe by the time the Kitchener-Waterloo LRT comes on line...

Or better yet, set it up for a few inbound runs towards Kitchener in the morning, and outbound in the afternoon. And also start the Kitchener runs west of Kitchener so there's provision for something of a Kitchener-centric commuter pattern as well. Maybe by the time the Kitchener-Waterloo LRT comes on line...

The neat thing about ending a line at a major destination such as downtown Kitchener is that you get much more effective use of train capacity. Instead of the train slowly filling up as it crawls through little towns, this way it starts off carrying a substantial number of people. Especially when service is improved, there will be many people who use the train for the quick hop over to Guelph or another intermediate station. Then the train fills back up again in Guelph, and so on.

Kitchener doesn't have a terribly big downtown (yet). Its commuting pattern could be well served by LRT, regular transit improvements within Waterloo Region, and better links to Guelph (including buses), as well as outbound GO trains from the GTA.

Back