News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

RR: The LIRR currently rosters 170 1985/86 vintage Budd-built M3 cars
and 836 Bombardier built M7 cars built between 2001-2005...
That is 1006 total to be exact...

The LIRR formerly operated a fleet of 770 Budd-built M1 cars that were built
between 1968-1972 that are now retired...

Metro-North also has a fleet of similar M7s-338 to be exact...
They have 140 M3 cars also...
The New Haven Line operates M2-M4-M6-and the now-building
Kawasaki M8s that will replace all the 70s vintage M2s minimally...

NJ Transit has a fleet of Arrow 3 MU cars and SEPTA has a fleet of
over 300 MU cars operating in their Philadelphia-area system...

LI MIKE

Montreal AMT uses Bombardier MR-90 EMU's on it's Deux-Montagnes line.

Historically this station was named Allandale - Barrie was a bit further up the line where no rails exist anymore. But, I agree that adding marketing names onto the end is a bad precedence to set.

I don't know, Agincourt Where Dreams Come True Station has a ring to it.

A heater caught fire on the 17:20 Stoufville train today. Props to CSR who put the small fire out. It was kind of a bad scene for a while with 300 (?) somewhat hysterical people trying to push their way into the other nine jam-packed cars though. I doubt this is a common occurance, but overcrowding can be a safety issue.

GO to Guelph

Update on the GO train to Guelph/Kitchener. I had a nice discussion with the VIA attendant (who doubles as a GO ticket counter for now) is what kinda numbers they are getting on the GO train. They did mention they bring in about $2000 a day. My rough estimate using the current 10 ride ticket fare, it would be an average of about 185 people.

They also mentioned that, with the Government tight on money, that the future expansion of this GO service is being carefully looked at based on the ridership numbers. Basdically a 'wait and see' approach until money becomes available.

Update on the GO train to Guelph/Kitchener. I had a nice discussion with the VIA attendant (who doubles as a GO ticket counter for now) is what kinda numbers they are getting on the GO train. They did mention they bring in about $2000 a day. My rough estimate using the current 10 ride ticket fare, it would be an average of about 185 people.

They also mentioned that, with the Government tight on money, that the future expansion of this GO service is being carefully looked at based on the ridership numbers. Basdically a 'wait and see' approach until money becomes available.

Maybe I'm confused. Are you saying 185 people a day to/from all points west of Georgetown? 45 per train? Could it possibly be that low? The EA was forecasting, what, 5000-7000/day?

The ticket counter attendant would only know how many people are buying tickets at that one station.
I presume that royalriver was talking about Guelph, given the subject of the post. That would mean 185 riders from Guelph a day, which would be about 92 per train.

The ticket counter attendant would only know how many people are buying tickets at that one station.
I presume that royalriver was talking about Guelph, given the subject of the post. That would mean 185 riders from Guelph a day, which would be about 92 per train.

Minimum. Many people buy their tickets at Union while waiting for the evening train home rather than during the sprint to the lot or early in the morning.

Also, with Presto, some will be topping up without the assistance of a ticket agent.

I'd say the service is doing fairly well given its age and price. Takes a lot of dedication to workplace and home to take on a 3+ hour daily commute.

You guys are assuming that all traffic is between Guelph and Union. But the EA projected most of it would be Kitchener-Guelph and Guelph-Georgetown. If so there could be almost as many people boarding the westbound trains at Guelph as the eastbound.

If so there could be almost as many people boarding the westbound trains at Guelph as the eastbound.
There are no westbound trains at Guelph until after 6 pm at night. I doubt there are many using this.

And for those that are commuting from Kitchener to Guelph, the latest they could leave KW is 7:10 AM arriving Guelph at 7:32, with the first departure back to KW at 6:18 PM. If your workday is 8 pm to 6 pm, it might work - but I really doubt with the current very limited schedule that there is much travel between Guelph and KW, particularly as they've made it impossible to take any of the earlier or later buses that run from Bramalea to KW.

There are no westbound trains at Guelph until after 6 pm at night. I doubt there are many using this.

And for those that are commuting from Kitchener to Guelph, the latest they could leave KW is 7:10 AM arriving Guelph at 7:32, with the first departure back to KW at 6:18 PM. If your workday is 8 pm to 6 pm, it might work - but I really doubt with the current very limited schedule that there is much travel between Guelph and KW, particularly as they've made it impossible to take any of the earlier or later buses that run from Bramalea to KW.

Get to work early, hit up a bar after work. Problem solved :)

Love the new Allandale station. Very, very cool.

The shame about the GO service to Kitchener is that it really doesn't serve the biggest demand patterns. GO is committed to the weekday commuter to Toronto market to the exclusion of all else. A sunday evening train from Toronto to Kitchener would be packed with students. That's when the buses see the most serious crowding. A reasonable schedule for commuters between KW and Guelph would also be well-used.

Looking ahead to the future, I think that Toronto should adopt roughly the German model of regional rail service. That would involve two levels of service: they call them S-Bahn and RegioBahn, let's call them regional rail and regional express, though they definitely need snappier names. The regional rail services would operate with rapid-transit style vehicles and service with all-day, every day headways of 10 or 15 minutes. They would run out as far as the inner 905 suburbs. That's probably all you would see on Richmond Hill, Stouffville, and possibly Milton. The Barrie, Kitchener and Lakeshore lines would need a second level of service with amenities for longer trips -- something like the current GO trains -- and stops only at major stations. Their frequency would be somewhat lower -- say, every hour or half hour depending on the line and time of day. The distances in the GTA are just too great for frequent stop regional rail service out to the fringes. The outer edges of the Munich S-Bahn network are about 45 kilometres from the city centre -- less than half the distance from Toronto to Kitchener.

Last edited:
Yes the numbers are from Guelph GO only....

You are correct, it is only the ridership $ amount from Guelph (and my estimate) that this station attendant was quoting me from Guelph Station.

Although, from the sound of their voice and tone of our convo., it seems that the numbers are both low from Kitchener & Guelph, and they do not think the service will survive, but that's their opinion and not officially GO's. I can't confirm numbers from Kitchener unless someone butters up the ticket booth at Kitchener for some info lol

I know everyone says they want two way service between Kitchener and Toronto, may I point your attention to the following information posted on gokw.org (http://gokw.org/?p=525 & http://gokw.org/?p=500) and what track work is needed before anything can happen with reverse trains.

Back