News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

High-level platforms on curves are problematic since they produce a gap between the platform and the train door, hence "Mind the Gap." On the low-level GO train platforms, the gap will likely be insignificant. Well done GO for wedging those in there.

I thought platforms weren't supposed to be curved?

The main issue on the GO network is to make sure the conductor is able to see that all the doors are clear and have closed when it's time to leave. For this reason it's likely that 26 will not be used for loading passengers since the far coaches will curve out of view.

The main issue on the GO network is to make sure the conductor is able to see that all the doors are clear and have closed when it's time to leave. For this reason it's likely that 26 will not be used for loading passengers since the far coaches will curve out of view.

Couldn't they use technology? TV cameras and screens...or, even, that new technology I read about....I think it is called "mirrors"....?

Couldn't they use technology? TV cameras and screens...or, even, that new technology I read about....I think it is called "mirrors"....?

Streetsville station on the Milton line recently installed a large monitor on the platform, near the accessible car. Instead of showing arrival/departure info or even just advertising, the monitor shows a live view of the train and tracks.

Is that what this is for?

So did anyone get this "Union Station Rail Corridor: 2009 Work Schedule" in the mail as of yet? I got one today and its got a very nice presentation and some solid content as well. But my question is, to those who have seen it/know its contents, are all of the track improvements listed part of the switch modernization project they signed with Siemens, or is that something else?

So did anyone get this "Union Station Rail Corridor: 2009 Work Schedule" in the mail as of yet? I got one today and its got a very nice presentation and some solid content as well. But my question is, to those who have seen it/know its contents, are all of the track improvements listed part of the switch modernization project they signed with Siemens, or is that something else?

Is there a website where a copy of this document is available? If not, could you scan and post the timeline document?

Hmm, are they finally going to deal with the trains crawling all the way from Union Station to Eastern? Seems they could enter from the East much faster - doesn't seem to be so slow from the west.

Part of it is switch modernization which partly the Siemens deal (Siemens is doing the controls), part of it is creating a better track layout to reduce switches, improve winter operations, add a third track to the fly-under between Bathurst and Spadina, and allow 12 car trains to park at Bathurst. The new switches and layout will allow trains to operate in the corridor at more than double the speed they are currently restricted to. All the details (not the work schedule yet) can be found at www.gotransit.com/unionstationrenewal.

The highlights are:
1. New track in fly-under starting construction June 2009.
2. Union Station gets the new roof under contruction starting July 2009.
3. The current construction in Bathurst yard completes May 2009.

Since I have been following Lakeshore W expansion, I can say the 3rd track in most place will not see operation until spring 2010, not fall 2009 as claim.

This will be 18 months behind schedule.

The last remains of the Oakville VIA station will be gone either Friday or Monday.

The Stair enclosure at the east end of the platform is in the process of been torn down. Starting in May, work is supposed to start on the north platform as well building the new 3rd track that will become the new track #1.

A new track will have to be cut into Kerr St to connect to the exist 3 tracks to the west. There is an EA out to do a grade separation for Kerr now and too bad it wasn't done when the EA for the 3rd track came out.

Cannot put in the 3rd track from Royal Windsor Dr to Clarkson until the Clarkson Station is rebuilt late 2009, early 2010. The based grade is in place for most of this area allowing track work to be done in the next few months.

Going east from Clarkson, the work is at a snail pace for putting in the retaining wall to support the new 3rd track. From Clarkson Rd to Mississauga Rd some base grade is done on the flat section, but a number of deep valley's that will have to had retaining walls still have to be done. Cannot put any track down at this time. At the same time, 2 grade crossing have to be rebuilt.

No grading west of Mississauga Rd. Snap track was place on the new bridge for Mississauga Rd. There is a need to get this new 3rd track in at this point so a tunnel extension is built under the existing tracks to the south.

Piles for the retaining wall east of the Port Credit River is taking place that will hold the new embankment for the new 3rd track. At some point, the gas line will have to be relocated to get that new track in as will line up with the PC station platform. The crossing will have to be rebuilt for all 3 tracks. This work can be finish by fall allowing rail operation over all 3 track just to the west of Mississauga Rd that will help operation.

I have a feeling that the building of the new 3/4 mainline at the south end of Oakville yard is going to take place in 2010, not 2008 as plan even with the bump to 2009.

This may have been discussed already, but why didn't GO and VIA work together to build a single station building in Oakville? It would have looked a lot tidier than having two different stations on the same platform.

They had completely retrofitted the Oakville station something like 10 years prior to this when VIA decided its station branding should look like a cross between La Quinta Inn and St-Hubert's Chicken. Why they can't combine the stations is beyond me.

Last edited:
Is there a website where a copy of this document is available? If not, could you scan and post the timeline document?

It doesnt look like there is a copy online and unfortunately, I don't have a scanner.

I will take some pics and post them a little later on... :)

Im not sure if its strictly going to residents in the downtown core, but it seems like they are trying to tell residents in the affected areas (from Bathurst to Cherry) that there will be some inconvenience and noise, on some weeknights and weekends.

Part of it is switch modernization which partly the Siemens deal (Siemens is doing the controls), part of it is creating a better track layout to reduce switches, improve winter operations, add a third track to the fly-under between Bathurst and Spadina, and allow 12 car trains to park at Bathurst. The new switches and layout will allow trains to operate in the corridor at more than double the speed they are currently restricted to. All the details (not the work schedule yet) can be found at www.gotransit.com/unionstationrenewal.

The highlights are:
1. New track in fly-under starting construction June 2009.
2. Union Station gets the new roof under contruction starting July 2009.
3. The current construction in Bathurst yard completes May 2009.

Thanks for the info. That the improvements should allow trains to move through at twice the speed is quite impressive if it comes through as projected. I remember from my time taking the train that as soon as you hit Bathurst the train will start to slow down, and then coast the rest of the way into the station. It seems as though GO is really taking some solid steps to improve service... which is great news.

Now I am just looking for the announcement for electrification of the Lakeshore corridor. This was one of the priorities in MoveOntario 2020 if I recall correctly, and one of the projects I am very interested in.

Back