News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yes. They are putting in new stairs and removing any remaining escalators attached to GO platforms. In addition they need these new platforms so they can close platforms under the train shed as needed while they install the new roof and restore the parts of old one that will remain.

City eyes Stoney Creek GO hub

Kevin Werner
Hamilton Community News
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/563932

Hamilton is proposing to purchase a parcel of land in Stoney Creek that could eventually result in the construction of an inter-regional transportation terminal.

Members of the public works committee this week approved a recommendation for the city to negotiate with the Ontario Realty Corporation to buy 3.25 hectares of land at Winona Road and South Service Road in Stoney Creek. The ORC is a provincial crown corporation. No price for the property was discussed.

A city report last year identified the southwest quadrant of Fifty Road and the South Service Road as an “ideal location†of a multi-modal, inter-regional transportation terminal.

The idea would be for GO Transit to extend service to the location, which would serve as a gateway to the Niagara Region. The area could also serve as the eastern terminal for the city’s proposed B-Line rapid transit service.

A transportation terminal would also add to an $85-million commercial retail complex proposed for the area by Penady Developments.

A public meeting on the development company’s proposal was held at Stoney Creek Municipal Service Centre May 6.

The developer is waiting for a number of studies, including a transportation master plan and a drainage plan, to be completed before seeking approval for a rezoning application.

City eyes Stoney Creek GO hub

Kevin Werner
Hamilton Community News
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/563932

Hamilton is proposing to purchase a parcel of land in Stoney Creek that could eventually result in the construction of an inter-regional transportation terminal.

Members of the public works committee this week approved a recommendation for the city to negotiate with the Ontario Realty Corporation to buy 3.25 hectares of land at Winona Road and South Service Road in Stoney Creek. The ORC is a provincial crown corporation. No price for the property was discussed.

A city report last year identified the southwest quadrant of Fifty Road and the South Service Road as an “ideal location†of a multi-modal, inter-regional transportation terminal.

The idea would be for GO Transit to extend service to the location, which would serve as a gateway to the Niagara Region. The area could also serve as the eastern terminal for the city’s proposed B-Line rapid transit service.

A transportation terminal would also add to an $85-million commercial retail complex proposed for the area by Penady Developments.

A public meeting on the development company’s proposal was held at Stoney Creek Municipal Service Centre May 6.

The developer is waiting for a number of studies, including a transportation master plan and a drainage plan, to be completed before seeking approval for a rezoning application.
Inter-regional transportation terminal? Is that just for Busses and LRT or are there going to be other Go train lines running out of Hamilton?

Fifty and South Service is right along the CN Grimsby Subdvision - the line to St. Catharines and Niagara. It's in the hamlet of Winona, and there are long term plans to bring the King/Main rapid transit here and medium term plans to expand GO trains to Niagara.

This just in:

"GO Trains coming to Niagara Falls

Visitors to Niagara Falls will soon have a new way to get there – by GO Train. Minister of Transportation Jim Bradley announced on May 14 that GO Transit will run a seasonal weekend and holiday train service to Niagara Falls, starting this summer.

This service will offer four trips daily on weekends and holidays in each direction between Toronto and Niagara Falls, stopping at Port Credit GO Station, Oakville GO Station, Burlington GO Station, St. Catharines rail station, and Niagara Falls rail station.

Visitors from the Niagara region will also be able to take the train to Toronto, making it a great summer travel option for people from across the region.

More details, including operating dates, schedule, and fare information will be available soon.

Other new routes were recently announced, including:

Weekday GO Bus service to Niagara Falls – starting September 2009
Weekday GO Bus service to Peterborough – starting September 2009
Weekday GO Bus service to Kitchener-Waterloo – starting October 2009

Full schedule and fare information for these new services will be available soon. "

Link to item on GO Transit website.

@ RR191- Thanks, it sounds like this hub will be useful. I've been looking for other places in the GTA that could feasibly be centers for Go, and this sounds like it's going to be a pretty strong one. Another one that will be interesting is Kipling. Being the Terminus of Bloor, on the Milton Line, and (probably) soon to be the terminus of Midtown Go and a future more northern Crosstown Go Line that might run up to Pearson and along the Finch Hydro corridor (yes I'm talking about that one)

Actually, a Finch Hydro Corridor Line that would run up from Kipling would be pretty cool and useful. It could run down and connect with the Toronto Zoo at the other end, possibly to be extended even further in the future. Of course, the track will have to be built entirely from scratch, which will cost A LOT of money, but it might be a worthy investment. Anyways, paving it would cost a fair bit of money too.

@Swamp Thing and the announcement, the bus service is good, and The Niagara Falls Holiday/Weekend service sounds like a good start for Go to become more than just a commuter rail service.

I never know how to think of these things....on one hand, expanded rail service of any kind is a good direction to go in (IMO).....it just irks me that they have a bunch of lines existing that they can't even provide weekend service on to get to ball games, fesitvals (carribana, etc), car races and trade shows, etc......but they can provide weekend service to a much farther away place like NF.

I guess what I am saying is that I agree with the sentiment of weekend service just not the prioritzation of it.

I guess what I am saying is that I agree with the sentiment of weekend service just not the prioritzation of it.
I have to agree there. You'd think that they'd start weekend service first on routes that currently have no weekend service, and which they have already announced the long-term intent of starting weekend service, rather than starting weekend service on a route that wasn't even in their plans recently, and that they haven't got daily service on yet.

I'm of the opinion that if an opportunity to complete a project arises we should take it, regardless of the priority.

I would rather they compete three or four little projects then do nothing while we wait for funding/negotiations/EAs for the big projects.

I'm of the opinion that if an opportunity to complete a project arises we should take it, regardless of the priority.

I would rather they compete three or four little projects then do nothing while we wait for funding/negotiations/EAs for the big projects.

But they don't need EAs to introduce limited weekend service on any of the routes that they currently only have m - f peak service on.

I will use the Georgetown line as an example (as it is the one I have most knowledge of but I believe this applies to all of the non-Lakeshore routes)....if they ran the same service on the weekend that theycurrently run on weekdays that would introduce weekend service, attract new riders (those that don't work downtown but might go there for events on the weekend, etc. etc.) and I don't think an EA would be necessary.

Technically an increase in train service does require an EA by the text of the regulations. The Niagara increases should have required an EA because the platforms had to be expanded. But, that didn't seem to have stopped them

A while back someone posted a comment on Adam Giambrone's Facebook saying that while he understands they need to do maintenance at night, why can't they run a subway train or two every hour. This got me thinking - would the average customer want a subway train every 30 minutes or a bus every 5 minutes?

I live in Caledon and I have been taking Georgetown lines trains for over five years now. In my opinion, I would rather have hourly or half-hourly bus service all day than the limited train service we have now because I find myself having to choose between arriving 90 minutes early or 30 minutes late due to the huge gaps in service. I'm not opposed to adding more trains at all, but I've come to the opinion that unless it's going to be full all-day service then you're better off with hourly or better buses.

Of course, if they still maintain a regular bus schedule to fill in the service gaps then I'm all for it.

Back