News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Well it seems the west end gets pretty shafted with no improvement to Milton and the Kitchener improvements stalled.
Just playing devil's advocate, I'd say the east has been shafted for awhile. In the past several years, the West has had the Georgetown corridor improvements, including the UPX, Extensions to Kitchener and extensions to Niagara, while the east has had only TALK of an extension to Bowmanville for 20 years!

Just playing devil's advocate, I'd say the east has been shafted for awhile. In the past several years, the West has had the Georgetown corridor improvements, including the UPX, Extensions to Kitchener and extensions to Niagara, while the east has had only TALK of an extension to Bowmanville for 20 years!

Its where the demand is, not if someone feels left out of the growth. Shouldn't we be using numbers vs politics to decide where the growth in transit happens?

Both Hamilton and Kitchener have urban intensification happening with new towers being built near the transit nodes (or along LRT lines). Hence the need for better regional inter-connectivity.

When I drive through Oshawa and Bowmanville area there is very little urban intensification happening. It's more urban sprawl.

The Niagara extension is unique. It feels more like a tourism connection than a commuting line (big change for GO). I'm not sure if it's time for this type of extension. I expect they will have to cancel it due to lack of use after a couple of years (similar to the Barrie line cancellation).

The Niagara extension is unique. It feels more like a tourism connection than a commuting line (big change for GO). I'm not sure if it's time for this type of extension. I expect they will have to cancel it due to lack of use after a couple of years (similar to the Barrie line cancellation).
I think it's a practical commuting line, if cards are played right.

I have Hamiltonian fellows itching to take GO instead of car to go to their Niagara Falls work.

Right now, I think this is the bigger problem for Hamilton's ridership in the Niagara extension: www.raisethehammer.org/article/2720

The above would put "more bums in the seats", that they want, quite easily, possibly even boosting ridership of the seasonal by 10% or more, if advertised well. Hopefully the related infra is complete by 2018. As we speak, currently West Harbour GO usage is hamstrung by 2 super-early Toronto-only commuter trains and lack of GO bus connections / lack of rapid transit connections -- and the Niagara GO train coasting by because the platform tracks aren't through-tracks yet. But even the interim activation of Hamilton on the Niagara seasonal route, would do a long way to activating fuller use of West Harbour GO.

Don't forget the proposals only call for just two trains per peak period to Niagara Falls. Most Niagara bound trains will terminate at St Catharines where there's also a big university too (Brock University).

It's a very straight-arrow route with few stops that can beat the speed of the car easily at peak, so it is an attraction to Hamilton-[StCat/Niagara] commuters.

Last edited:
Legislation.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I understand it's based on legislation. I guess I'm asking what is unique about these crossings in Markham where whistling (with gates) is still needed when as best I can tell, there are other crossings with gates where GO doesn't need to use the whistle.

I understand it's based on legislation. I guess I'm asking what is unique about these crossings in Markham where whistling (with gates) is still needed when as best I can tell, there are other crossings with gates where GO doesn't need to use the whistle.

There is a fair bit of squeaky wheel in the whistle bans, as well as bureaucratic inertia. Past incidents at that particular crossing will factor in also. I would not assume that all crossings are maintained to the same standard. With service now increased, it may be time to review things for the benefit of the local community.
- Paul

If we want expanded service, we need to start bugging our MPPs, and making a stink in the media. Only way to get something at this point. And a Hamilton service expansion would be interesting to say the least.

Further on this:
2tYtOkL

There is a fair bit of squeaky wheel in the whistle bans, as well as bureaucratic inertia. Past incidents at that particular crossing will factor in also. I would not assume that all crossings are maintained to the same standard. With service now increased, it may be time to review things for the benefit of the local community.
- Paul

And to elaborate....

The presence of gates/lights/etc. does not automatically preclude the use of the horn on the equipment at level crossings. A case must be made for each crossing, or grouping of crossings in a community, and there is a pre-set process that allows for it to happen. Transport Canada, contrary to some of their other regulatory dealings, is extremely open about this: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/railsafety/railsafety-976.html

Look at the process - the railroad is not allowed to start it unilaterally. It's got to come from the residents and the community.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back