News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Thank you for the very informative post about what has been delayed for the immediate future, and I think that you have provided a great deal of insight into some of the reason why GO is only marginally more of a viable urban connector this decade than 2 or 6 decades previous. However, I am going to be that forumer and point out again that I am observing that GO has not had reasonably steady progress, with regards to: dedicated trackage, track duplication, level boarding, station amenities, TOD, electrification, above all - regular 2WAD services, everything, really. Rather, the progress that it is happening of late doesn't make up for Toronto's 120 year long rail history.

All these years later in 2018, GO is still attempting to impress upon stations built in dirt fields, surrounded by nothing but giant parking lots, single track extensions with peak period-only service hauled by diesel locomotives into the distant future for some reason despite Ontario's cheap and clean hydroelectricity (it is, by global standards, still very cheap), and I am saying that I don't think it has to be this way. What I have noticed is that there tend to be two types of forumers, the idealist ones like myself (i.e. "Why do most wealthy overseas cities have train systems that make ours look like crap? Let's build ours better now - here's how!") and the well-informed ones who reverse-engineer the current situation to try to make sense of it (i.e. "Toronto is built on a unique combination of silty sand and bedrock that *no* other city has ever had to deal with! No government could ever have conceived of legislating a better deal with CN and CP or providing adequate transit funding because there are so many systems in place etc etc!").

To take the long view on this - GO was traditionally a very innovative organization and its original "old guard" built a basic system from scratch that had leapfrogged over many systems. If you compare GO in 1984 to the state of commuter operations in Chicago or on the Northeast corridor of that era, GO was the renowned leader. When California decided to enter the field, they copied GO to the letter. (eg - when Metrolink bought its first locomotives, they told EMD they wanted the *exact* product that GO had in its F59's, which were designed in-house by GO. So exact, that the California units were delivered with anti-icing trace lines just as GO locomotives have.)

This stalled around 1990 because a) those old heads, many of whom had successful railroad careers before coming to GO, died off or retired, and b) the politicians halted all advances, and c) a group of newer staff without the original mindset took over. It has further stalled because d) the even newer staff recruited to ML have little or no prior experience in rail commuter operations - lots of straight out of school types and people from academic or consulting ivory towers.

If you compare GO as it was on the day that Bob Rae became Premier, to where it stands today, it has certainly progressed, but those 25ish years have a lot of slow plodding in them, especially while Rae and Harris were in place.

The Liberal regime has brought funding but not otherwise been helpful to GO because of its lack of transparency and accountability, and because the Libs fundamentally are prone to unfounded self promotion. Lack of results focus and the ability to explain away failure (or just hide it) abounds.

However, if you chart the capital spending over the last 15 years, it's not such a bad story. Acquiring the ex CN lines took a lot of cash. Building Willowbrook and Whitby and Don yard, and the outlying layover yards, did also. There has been a lot of grade separation done. Lakeshore had a triple track added Aldershot-Port Credit and Don - Scarborough Jct. Barrie was reopened and it and Stouffville got CTC. GTS, while it didn't achieve its end goal, is a huge upgrade. And Union Station while ongoing has seen lots of upgrading. The fleet keeps growing. To have expected more would have assumed that money grows on trees. (Side Note to Premier Wynne: it doesn't.)

One thing that has never wavered is state of good repair. Try riding a GO bilevel in LA some time.... they are threadbare. Except after concerts when the kids are all drunk, you can eat off the floor on a GO train.

So, yeah, I wish we had remained world leader from start to finish, but overall there are positives. Let's not feel we have to beat ourselves up, let's just keep the catchup process going.

- Paul

Last edited:
One thing that has never wavered is state of good repair. Try riding a GO bilevel in LA some time.... they are threadbare. Except after concerts when the kids are all drunk, you can eat off the floor on a GO train.

So, yeah, I wish we had remained world leader from start to finish, but overall there are positives. Let's not feel we have to beat ourselves up, let's just keep the catchup process going.

- Paul
If I remember correctly, some of the bilevels are over 40 years old and still in near mint condition. Yes, they have a lingering scent of diesel particulate, but it's still impressive considering how old they are.

^ Great points and insights Dan. What month this year will GO's RTC start operating?

CN is telling their staff that the closure of the Toronto RTC is tentatively scheduled for September, so.......December? I'm not optimistic about it just yet.

What about weekend service on the Kitchener line up to Mount Pleasant? metrolinx owns the line till then and the route doesn’t cross paths with CN?

A bit of a black hole, unfortunately. No one seems to know anything. Perhaps this is one area where Verster can push things along further.

How frequent will it be? I assume that it will be hourly two way? Will it go to Stouffville or just Unionville? Thanks!

The service will likely be very, very similar to the weekend service of the Barrie Line - a couple of trains southbound from Lincolnville in the morning, hourly service to Unionville, and the last two trains of the night ending up in Lincolnville.

Wow, I didn't expect that so soon.

Though it's going to be necessary I'd think with a $3 fare from Rouge Hill to Long Branch, unlike the current $8.31. That's going to create some modal shift.

When do these new $3 fares take effect? I've been out of town, not paying enough attention.

I get the impression that staff was blindsided by this $3 fare plan. At least, the staff that I know and deal with.

Thank you for the very informative post about what has been delayed for the immediate future, and I think that you have provided a great deal of insight into some of the reason why GO is only marginally more of a viable urban connector this decade than 2 or 6 decades previous. However, I am going to be that forumer and point out again that I am observing that GO has not had reasonably steady progress, with regards to: dedicated trackage, track duplication, level boarding, station amenities, TOD, electrification, above all - regular 2WAD services, everything, really. Rather, the progress that it is happening of late doesn't make up for Toronto's 120 year long rail history.

I disagree that the system is "marginally" better than it was 20 or 60 years ago. The explosion of service and ridership on the 407 corridor, for instance, is proof of that.

Could it be better? Sure. Is it still primarily centered on downtown Toronto? Of course. Has progress been done in a steady manner? Of course not. But look at the history, and at the various governments in power at various points of its history. No matter what, it is and remains a ward of the government and thus beholden to their whims.

But to claim that things are only slightly better than they were 60 years ago is not just misleading, but does a disservice to the amount of work that has been done in that time.

All these years later in 2018, GO is still attempting to impress upon stations built in dirt fields, surrounded by nothing but giant parking lots, single track extensions with peak period-only service hauled by diesel locomotives into the distant future for some reason despite Ontario's cheap and clean hydroelectricity (it is, by global standards, still very cheap), and I am saying that I don't think it has to be this way. What I have noticed is that there tend to be two types of forumers, the idealist ones like myself (i.e. "Why do most wealthy overseas cities have train systems that make ours look like crap? Let's build ours better now - here's how!") and the well-informed ones who reverse-engineer the current situation to try to make sense of it (i.e. "Toronto is built on a unique combination of silty sand and bedrock that *no* other city has ever had to deal with! No government could ever have conceived of legislating a better deal with CN and CP or providing adequate transit funding because there are so many systems in place etc etc!").

Do things need to change? No doubt. And the electrification is but one step of that.

But you know what, one thing was said during one of the earlier electrification studies in the 1980s, and it very much holds true today.

"You can't have the gravy without the steak."

What does it mean? Electrification of the system is a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have. A lot more service can be run with diesels, and more quickly, than holding out and waiting for the electrification to come. Can you imagine if they had stopped improving service after that electrification study in 1986? You say that the system is only marginally better today - well it would have become an outright failure if that had been the case.

And once again, and unfortunately as always, it comes down to funding. That's on us as the electorate.

As for the aforementioned plans to run GO trains to Cherry St or Exhibition, that's really not at all the same as say, making the Stouffville-Milton Line, or the Barrie-Lakeshore East Line. How this would be achieved is up for debate, but essentially running regular services from end-to-end and interlining based on a logical pattern is reasonable. What would also be reasonable would be to have all stations in trunk sections being served regularly by multiple services, or to have a nearby transfer station that is actually useful to a passenger and doesn't require them to backtrack. It boggles my mind why not all Stouffville trains stop at at least one of Scarborough or Danforth stations, because someone from Oshawa should be able to work in Markham or shop at the Pacific Mall, considering there are train stations in all three locations. I think a good example of the above from a less-populated, less-dense city than Toronto is the Melbourne system, so I'm attaching a map of it (purple lines are regional services) to this post for reference.

And what is there to gain from running the lines through as you're suggesting? Once the USRC resignalling project is done (hopefully by the end of next year), it will be come more efficient from a train-movement standpoint to turn trains back.

Which I guess ties in with your point from your previous paragraph about legislating the railways. There are some improvements to be made in that regard - but a lot of what is talked about on this forum, and many others, is nothing but sheer dreaming. When it comes to lobbying for regulation change, anything that will adversely affect the freight railways - and even just slightly - is going to result in them opposing it, and thus not going to be approved. You can call it the tail wagging the dog if you like, but the fact of the matter is that moving freight is and will continue to be the primary raison d'être of the railways in Canada.

But......there are improvements that can be made within the legislative framework, and some of that is happening already. The removal of the requirement to do a brake check while changing ends within the USRC is but one example of that, and there's still more small improvements to be found.

So I don't think I'm kidding myself when I say that past intentions for GO have amounted to very little, and that disproportionately significant, concrete changes are happening now because the old guard that held us back for so long is just beginning to die out, figuratively speaking. I certainly never said I think Verster is a messiah, I only commented that he amounts to fresh blood at the top of a historically conservative organization.

Has GO been a historically conservative organization? Absolutely. And for the first 20 years of its existence, it saw itself as a railway first, and a commuter organization.

Over the past 20 years, however, the pendulum swung too hard in the other direction. They have become too political, too far removed from their roots. You are right in that he is fresh blood at the top, and maybe he is the guy to bring the pendulum back into the middle. Only time will tell.

But that goes both ways. Over the past 20 years or so, GO (and Metrolinx) has been guilty of wanton and unnecessary spending. I guess this ties in with Paul's comments about the lack of transparency and the hiring of fresh-out-of-school types, but there needs to be a bit of an infusion of the "old school" mentality back into the organization - and I don't know if Verster has the power (yet) within the organization to make that happen.

If I remember correctly, some of the bilevels are over 40 years old and still in near mint condition. Yes, they have a lingering scent of diesel particulate, but it's still impressive considering how old they are.

Almost $1million per car will make them seem mint. Realistically, the oldest cars have just 10 years of life left in them, and maybe less.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Almost $1million per car will make them seem mint. Realistically, the oldest cars have just 10 years of life left in them, and maybe less.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

But to be fair, we won't need those cars once EMUs are running in the system. Considering they'd have 50 years on them, the amount of usage they have endured, and the climate ware they've taken on them, 52+ years is extremely impressive.

Random thought, if platform heights are increased to 48'' (and Verseter has stated that standardized platform heights aren't out of the question), then all BiLevels will have to be sold or scrapped assuming the entire network adopts that standard. This means that some bilevels would only have 2-5 years on them. However, that's a conversation for another forum.

Electrification of the system is a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have. A lot more service can be run with diesels, and more quickly, than holding out and waiting for the electrification to come. Can you imagine if they had stopped improving service after that electrification study in 1986? You say that the system is only marginally better today - well it would have become an outright failure if that had been the case.

I think, for a lot of people on here, electrification is more than just the ability to run electric trains, it's also the inherent service promise that comes with it. Metrolinx isn't going to spend billions of dollars on double-tracking and stringing catenary, and then continue to run only hourly service. For those who live near the Kitchener, Barrie, and Stouffville lines in particular, the infrastructure is so important because it will ensure that service promises will actually be kept. On the other hand, if they said that they just want to run half-hour diesel service on those corridors and cancel electrification, I don't know that anyone would have faith in that service to materialize.

I think, for a lot of people on here, electrification is more than just the ability to run electric trains, it's also the inherent service promise that comes with it. Metrolinx isn't going to spend billions of dollars on double-tracking and stringing catenary, and then continue to run only hourly service. For those who live near the Kitchener, Barrie, and Stouffville lines in particular, the infrastructure is so important because it will ensure that service promises will actually be kept. On the other hand, if they said that they just want to run half-hour diesel service on those corridors and cancel electrification, I don't know that anyone would have faith in that service to materialize.
Spending = commitment to service? That’s interesting.

You realize that, as an example, “billions” have already been spent on the Kitchener corridor......and here we are.

It's definitely not, officially. But I think if you implement all that infrastructure, it would be hard to not increase service to match as soon as it's ready to go. I certainly think it would make for a lot more difficult questions.

Also, worth noting that those billions resulted in fifteen minute service at several stations.

It's definitely not, officially. But I think if you implement all that infrastructure, it would be hard to not increase service to match as soon as it's ready to go. I certainly think it would make for a lot more difficult questions.

Also, worth noting that those billions resulted in fifteen minute service at several stations.
If you add the ~ 1/2 billion spent on UP (that was not included in my off the top of my head estimate) then, yes, you have created 15 minute service at 2 stations (not “several”).....but even that was an accident and only really happened when the politicians forced a reduction to GO fares on UP.....ML had no intention of doing that.

Plus Pearson, which though not directly on the corridor, is accessed by it. And in a few years you can add Mount Dennis there too. And yes, it was not intended as a commuter service, but I didn't say that it was.

There is no question that the GTS infrastructure has been woefully under-utilized. I walk past it every day and think that. But I think that's exactly why people cling to electrification so dearly. Billions of dollars to add track and grade separations wasn't enough to ensure a huge service jump, so maybe electrification will.

I’m jumping in here, but I have to say. Given the way things have progressed this far with this corridor, from the fact that most of the infrastructure was built for 4 tracks, to the fact that 4 tracks were not laid from the outset (where possible), to the fact that, while short of the desired goal, two-way hourly trains could be running at least as far as Malton on evenings and weekends even as we speak, but aren’t, even to the fact that at least 5-6 tracks could and should already be in place running from USRC up to the junction where the Barrie Line breaks off to accommodate the current level of Barrie and Kitchener two-way train traffic, yet instead, that bottleneck continues to persist... and these things are all necessary steps to get to a level of service that warrants electrification... These things make me (and others, I’m sure) skeptical about the electrification & 15 minutes all day service promise.

Added: And these are but a few examples of infrastructure and service improvements that could/should have happened already but yet haven’t, for no other obvious reasons than a) reluctance to actually spend the little extra money necessary or b) somehow can’t be bothered? after all the oft-time mentioned billions poured into the Kitchener corridor this far?

What about the Stouffville Line and the fact that midday trains sit at Unionville for almost an hour, every hour, instead of running up to Mount Joy and back (plenty of time in the schedule for this easy win schedule improvement) but mysteriously left undone in spite of the loud and numerous complaints from riders of that line. Or the crazy, consistent shortcomings on the Barrie Line with the steady service disruptions due to freight conflicts.

Honestly, Go & ML need to move faster on resolving these issues if they want to maintain or retain confidence that a project like electrification can be successfully (and fully) completed.

Last edited:
I think, for a lot of people on here, electrification is more than just the ability to run electric trains, it's also the inherent service promise that comes with it. Metrolinx isn't going to spend billions of dollars on double-tracking and stringing catenary, and then continue to run only hourly service.

And yet, that was going to be the service plan as part of some of those early electrification EAs.

To look at it the other way, they were || close to running 15 minute service mid-day with diesels. And they already are at rush hours on the Lakeshore, Milton and Barrie lines. Why should the improved service be predicated on infrastructure that isn't necessarily required?

(Yes, some level of improved infrastructure is required in order to run reliable two-way service all day - including at rush hours - but in this argument, I'm talking about the electrification.)

For those who live near the Kitchener, Barrie, and Stouffville lines in particular, the infrastructure is so important because it will ensure that service promises will actually be kept. On the other hand, if they said that they just want to run half-hour diesel service on those corridors and cancel electrification, I don't know that anyone would have faith in that service to materialize.

And yet as already pointed out, there remains to be seen a great ramp-up of service on Kitchener. Barrie and Stouffville already have hourly mid-day and evening service, with hourly weekend service on one of the two lines with the other to follow this year. And all with a minimum of infrastructure.

Look, I'm never going to argue against electrification - there are so many positives about it that outweigh the negatives. But if the service can be improved now, it should be improved now. I'm not impressed with Metrolinx's caving in to the groups in West Toronto and limiting service on Barrie until the electrification is completed - because if there ends up being some hold up with the wiring after the tracks are built, they're going to sit and get forlorn.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

For sure! I think, for example, if Metrolinx announced tomorrow that they were delaying electrification on the Kitchener line by 5 years, but they were launching 7 days/week, hourly service to Mount Pleasant and 30 minute service to Bramalea in May most people here would see that as a net positive. For most people, I think electrification is definitely secondary to service, we (or perhaps more accurately Metrolinx) have just tied the two so tightly together that it's hard to untangle them.

For sure! I think, for example, if Metrolinx announced tomorrow that they were delaying electrification on the Kitchener line by 5 years, but they were launching 7 days/week, hourly service to Mount Pleasant and 30 minute service to Bramalea in May most people here would see that as a net positive. For most people, I think electrification is definitely secondary to service, we (or perhaps more accurately Metrolinx) have just tied the two so tightly together that it's hard to untangle them.
In that hypothetical scenario, what about the UPX?
They need to, at the very least, electrify the UPX. If they don't do that, there would be an outrage from riders and the Weston Neighbourhood. You're probably right about GO service, especially considering the CN dispute.

True, but there's also the issue of meeting climate targets, which is also an international issue. Same goes for VIA rail.

In that hypothetical scenario, what about the UPX?
They need to, at the very least, electrify the UPX. If they don't do that, there would be an outrage from riders and the Weston Neighbourhood. You're probably right about GO service, especially considering the CN dispute.

I'm referring specifically to people on this forum. There are plenty of people not on here for whom electrification is far more important than actual service, for a variety of reasons.

Last edited:

Back