News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I thought about taking GO transit on Thursday, but after reading all these cancellations and friends of mine saying buses are showing up really late. I'm taking the car instead, just to be safe.

Unvaccinated staff from Alstom I guess. Can't really blame them for those.
The cancelation of the london train was because the F59 decided it didn't want to go anymore.

I was on the train. There will be a shuttle bus at kitchener for the other stations

Also an all stops bus is a good 30 minutes faster than the train
Screenshot_20211101-183028_Maps.jpg

The cancelation of the london train was because the F59 decided it didn't want to go anymore.

I was on the train. There will be a shuttle bus at kitchener for the other stations

Could you grab a photo of the shuttle bus? I'm curious to see which company is operating it.

View attachment 359887
Makes you wonder if they should just extend the route 15 that already heads in this direction from Brantford. Or create a Kitchener-London express bus the exact same way the route 30 is set up. Both options would probably work out for the better especially the 15 as its McMaster stop could help the university-university travel and the Aldershot connection obviously being a better one compared to starting at Kitchener.

Makes you wonder if they should just extend the route 15 that already heads in this direction from Brantford. Or create a Kitchener-London express bus the exact same way the route 30 is set up. Both options would probably work out for the better especially the 15 as its McMaster stop could help the university-university travel and the Aldershot connection obviously being a better one compared to starting at Kitchener.
Go Transit already has a bus maintenance yard in Kitchener so setting up daily busses between London and Kitchener shouldn't be to hard. It might be better in the short term while they fix the tracks.

I thought that's why they were putting two F59s on the Union-London trips? In case one had a failure. Wasn't that discussed here as well? cc @smallspy
While that is supposed to be the case....

It was the lead unit here that was the problem. It would not load, and it would not cede control. In the end, they had to couple another train up to this trainset and drag it back to Willowbrook for repairs.

Dan

While that is supposed to be the case....

It was the lead unit here that was the problem. It would not load, and it would not cede control. In the end, they had to couple another train up to this trainset and drag it back to Willowbrook for repairs.

Dan
Could they have uncoupled the lead unit and have the train depart with one locomotive? Then haul the broken locomotive back to Willowbrook?

Could they have uncoupled the lead unit and have the train depart with one locomotive? Then haul the broken locomotive back to Willowbrook?

From what other users have said, the reason the train has 2 locomotives is in case one fails on the stretch between Kitchener and London. Because that stretch of track is so far away for GO's network, getting buses out there would take way too long.

If they departed with one loco, there is technically the risk of that loco failing...and now you have a stranded train. The odds of two loco's failing on the same train on the same day are obviously very unlikely...but it's a PR (and possible Via/CN/CP scheduling) disaster.

From what other users have said, the reason the train has 2 locomotives is in case one fails on the stretch between Kitchener and London. Because that stretch of track is so far away for GO's network, getting buses out there would take way too long.

If they departed with one loco, there is technically the risk of that loco failing...and now you have a stranded train. The odds of two loco's failing on the same train on the same day are obviously very unlikely...but it's a PR (and possible Via/CN/CP scheduling) disaster.

Do they use both locos as motive power? It would probably be moot but at the very least less time would be wasted accelerating on what is already a slow track.

Back