News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I would hope that ML has a plan to get all the way to 4 tracks from Halwest to Silver, with flyover. But I suspect it will be only 3 tracks for a decade or more, in which case sharing with CN will remain a matter for negotiation. But we really need a sense of urgency about the Halwest-Silver improvements.

- Paul

Latest I've heard on this is that the Silver gryade Separation (not located actually at Silver Junction) still on the table and hasn't been cut.

There might be an update available in the new year and an agreement with CN is still in discussions along with procurement and design.

Wait, why are all of these services departing earlier, when they're also faster? Leave earlier, arrive even earlier?
Yes. They're not so much "leaving earlier" as "following a completely different schedule". In many cases the original schedule has been maintained for local service but it's now cut back to Mt Pleasant or Bramalea since there's a new express train from Kitchener which connects to it at Bramalea

Was suggesting that a few express trips should run from Kitchener to Mt. Pleasant, then express to Union, instead of running express from Bramalea to Union.
This makes no sense, Brampton and Bramalea are important connections for people arriving from the west, due to their regional bus services. If you want to skip something, skip Mount Pleasant. And besides, I don't see how you can claim that this schedule results in crowding west of Bramalea when it has more capacity than the current schedule and hasn't even come into effect yet.
It's more - Closer to 35 minutes. The run used to be 2 hrs and 10 mins, and there are still slow zones that can be taken care of.
For most of its early years the travel time from Kitchener to Toronto was 2h03, so the new schedule is 28 minutes faster.
Capture.PNG

Screenshot_20221202-025936.png

Also, 103 km in 95 min is a 65 km/h average, which is the fastest end-to-end average speed since I started summarising GO schedules in 2014.

There is still a significant slow zone in Georgetown which could save another couple minutes if resolved.

Last edited:
I’d argue that Mount Pleasant should eventually become an important connection point. There should be an express bus down Mississauga Road leading down to the Meadowvale employment area. This will also improve connections from NW Mississauga towards Waterloo Region.

It’s already a busier station than Downtown Brampton, largely because it has more parking.

Bramalea is the right place for the express/local split. If the trains are full west of there, then GO will need to add more trains. Otherwise you can get off at Bramalea and get your choice of seat.

This makes no sense, Brampton and Bramalea are important connections for people arriving from the west, due to their regional bus services. If you want to skip something, skip Mount Pleasant. And besides, I don't see how you can claim that this schedule results in crowding west of Bramalea when it has more capacity than the current schedule and hasn't even come into effect yet.

For most of its early years the travel time from Kitchener to Toronto was 2h03, so the new schedule is 28 minutes faster.
View attachment 442415

View attachment 442414

Also, 103 km in 95 min is a 65 km/h average, which is the fastest end-to-end average speed since I started summarising GO schedules in 2014.

There is still a significant slow zone in Georgetown which could save another couple minutes if resolved.
Georgetown GO is rule105 territory so either a mainline platform or signalizing the track would resolve it

Georgetown GO is rule105 territory so either a mainline platform or signalizing the track would resolve it
Yes this is what I'm referring to. Verster said they would build a mainline platform. A practical meeting point is also needed for two way service since Georgetown is a half hour east of the passing track under construction in Guelph

Last edited:
There are plans to develop the area between Mount Pleasant and Georgetown pretty intensively, with a new GO stop added. I would count on stopping service being needed all the way to Georgetown before long.
Mount Pleasant has always been the bargain-basement terminus, as it’s as far as trains can get while keeping them on the south side so they don’t interfere with CN freight routings.
I can’t see how ML can add express service - or VIA, for that matter - on top of vanilla Regional RER without a lot more trackage.

- Paul

There are plans to develop the area between Mount Pleasant and Georgetown pretty intensively, with a new GO stop added. I would count on stopping service being needed all the way to Georgetown before long.
Mount Pleasant has always been the bargain-basement terminus, as it’s as far as trains can get while keeping them on the south side so they don’t interfere with CN freight routings.
I can’t see how ML can add express service - or VIA, for that matter - on top of vanilla Regional RER without a lot more trackage.

- Paul
What station is planned there?

^ It would be at Heritage Road.

It's part of the planning work the City is doing for the Secondary Plan and they'll be advocating for it to the Province, who I assume will want developers to contribute to it. It's referenced in the secondary plan FAQs below.

There's no rails in downtown Barrie...maybe they can put the rails back if they haven't built stuff all over?

Will there be an Innisfil station?
A little late with the response, but yes, there will be a station in Innisfil, hope this helps! Can’t wait for the extension to Barrie South.

That's so weird to see Lakeshore West trips run express from Hamilton to Clarkson and then make all stops to Union...
Ah. Because that's not what is happening. They must have forgotten their own lingo. They aren't running "express to Clarkson and onto Union". They are running "express from Clarkson to Union".

- Paul

What station is planned there?

^ It would be at Heritage Road.

It's part of the planning work the City is doing for the Secondary Plan and they'll be advocating for it to the Province, who I assume will want developers to contribute to it. It's referenced in the secondary plan FAQs below.

I would be for this as long as transit gets to this area too.

That's so weird to see Lakeshore West trips run express from Hamilton to Clarkson and then make all stops to Union...
Ah. Because that's not what is happening. They must have forgotten their own lingo. They aren't running "express to Clarkson and onto Union". They are running "express from Clarkson to Union".

Yeah, their copy writing is a bit weak.

The interesting thing is that this service profile works so long as the local headways are set at no closer than 15 minutes. By Clarkson, the express has caught up to the local train that is clearing at Oakville.

The problem will come when the service demands more frequent local service. The express trains will need to add stops and revert to being locals.

LSW will need to have four tracks before long, to sustain express service, and support VIA also.

- Paul

The fact that the station and yard are in the same place doesn't help. But there is a signal west of the station where things tend to get backed up.

Back