News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

You don't necessarily need an e-bike for the last mile leg.
You also don't necessarily NOT need it given, you know, the location of the likes of Bramalea station. And none of these solutions address the availability of charging infrastructure at downtown bike storage facilities, let alone what that kind of storage is going to cost.

We've got a lot of moving pieces here, and none of the fixes are complete.

At the end of the day, we are cruising for an outright ban on bikes on trains, or a premium fare to bring a bike.

Reactions: PL1
Allowing patently unsafe situations on the trains is clearly not a solution, and this needs to be addressed quickly. Same with behaviour on the platforms.... no one should be riding a bike on the platforms. I have seen plenty of that.

I don't agree that Toronto is somehow unique in this regard. I'm sure there are precedents in other large urban centers.

Ml backed their way into this inadvertently thanks to getting into bike trains in a different market. There's no painless way out, but it's time to regulate what is going on.

I'm not sure that ML or the city or the province need to step in to solve the bike storage problm. This is bicycle parking, not health care or education. Let the couriers form a coop or whatever and figure this out as an industry.

- Paul

transit isn’t going to serve every single need. This is like the person which will only take the subway or train or bus stop if there’s a station at their door step. It’s impossible to meet everyone’s need.

The trains were designed to move people at the end of the day. Can I take my bike on the airplane or via and claim I need it for the last mile? There is always a limit. My example sounds insane yet this isn’t that different.

You don't necessarily need an e-bike for the last mile leg.

With the fare integration, you would be right. This could fix some of the bike issues.

At the end of the day, we are cruising for an outright ban on bikes on trains, or a premium fare to bring a bike.
Banning would only cause more problems then it would fix. Higher fares for them as well as proper places to put them on the trains, and even limiting the number to the number of spots for bikes are all better than trying to ban them.

Do you know how much e-bikes cost?

If you can afford to own two, you're not hurting for cash.

I doubt international students can afford two e-bikes.

A lot of these e bikes that the food delivery guys use are rentals. You buy a bunch of e bikes and then rent them out for a daily or weekly fee to international students.

A lot of these e bikes that the food delivery guys use are rentals. You buy a bunch of e bikes and then rent them out for a daily or weekly fee to international students.
for those who dont know "zoomo" and "zygg" are the 2 most popular ebike rental places. Upwards of $300 a month.
NCM is a brand that sells cheap $1k ebikes with the cheapest parts found.

Those 3 make up like 75-90% of the ubers/doordashers

It's time GO transit bans them or better yet have more train cars for bikes only. With transit police patrolling the cars making sure no one brings a bike onboard the other train cars
Why did you edit your comment to take out the part where you were on the GO train and people missed their stop because they couldn’t get out because of bikes being in their way?

It's time GO transit bans them or better yet have more train cars for bikes only. With transit police patrolling the cars making sure no one brings a bike onboard the other train cars
This would assume everyone with a bike starts and ends at the same station (maybe they do IDK). Otherwise it would impar the dwell time if a rider has to exit their car to enter another cr to get their bike. If a bunch of rider move to the 'bike car' before their station, doesn't that create the same problem? Could all the affected platform handle an extra car?

This would assume everyone with a bike starts and ends at the same station (maybe they do IDK). Otherwise it would impar the dwell time if a rider has to exit their car to enter another cr to get their bike. If a bunch of rider move to the 'bike car' before their station, doesn't that create the same problem? Could all the affected platform handle an extra car?
Every station between Mount Pleasant and Malton has a lot of bikers getting on, they mostly get off at Union but a majority also get off at Bloor.

for those who dont know "zoomo" and "zygg" are the 2 most popular ebike rental places. Upwards of $300 a month.
NCM is a brand that sells cheap $1k ebikes with the cheapest parts found.

Those 3 make up like 75-90% of the ubers/doordashers

Well if that's the case then this becomes a lot simpler to ban the e-bikes from trains. Those businesses, or others like them would be forced to set up shop near where the deliveries are happening and deal with overnight storage themselves if they want to stay in business. The transit system can stop subsidizing their business model of moving their bikes around and compel them to provide services closer to where they are needed.

I was already wondering if this would be viable after having seen an e-bike rental somewhere around Dundas & Parliament. If the majority of bikes are rented then you're not creating a huge sunk cost for the delivery guys with a ban.

Well if that's the case then this becomes a lot simpler to ban the e-bikes from trains. Those businesses, or others like them would be forced to set up shop near where the deliveries are happening and deal with overnight storage themselves if they want to stay in business. The transit system can stop subsidizing their business model of moving their bikes around and compel them to provide services closer to where they are needed.

I was already wondering if this would be viable after having seen an e-bike rental somewhere around Dundas & Parliament. If the majority of bikes are rented then you're not creating a huge sunk cost for the delivery guys with a ban.
Apparently you are heartless and or racist for not being concerned with their last mile commute.

Back