News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A passing track in being constructed south of the Unionville GO Station and north of Denison Road, according to GO spokesperson Vanessa Thomas.

Seems like we were correct afterall, yyzhyd.

I took the Niagara GO on Canada Day. The tracks past Aldershot need some serious repair work. Too bad VIA Rail and/or the federal government does so little to improve track or compel CN to do so. At the half price return fare it was a good deal. They were a little late on the 3rd run from Toronto to Niagara due to traffic on the line but they were able to get the Niagara to Toronto run back on schedule.

They should keep this service, perhaps at reduced frequencies, year round and add a Friday evening run to allow weekend trips to get started Friday after school/work. St.Catharines is running a special GO Train connection bus which gets people from Brock to the station. St.Catharine's station would probably be better located at Glenridge Ave. GO Buses could run 406, Glenridge, Brock U, Thorold Stone, Bridge St.

I took the Niagara GO on Canada Day. The tracks past Aldershot need some serious repair work. Too bad VIA Rail and/or the federal government does so little to improve track or compel CN to do so. At the half price return fare it was a good deal. They were a little late on the 3rd run from Toronto to Niagara due to traffic on the line but they were able to get the Niagara to Toronto run back on schedule.

They should keep this service, perhaps at reduced frequencies, year round and add a Friday evening run to allow weekend trips to get started Friday after school/work. St.Catharines is running a special GO Train connection bus which gets people from Brock to the station. St.Catharine's station would probably be better located at Glenridge Ave. GO Buses could run 406, Glenridge, Brock U, Thorold Stone, Bridge St.

couple of questions (as you are the first person I have communicated that has actually used the service).

are they full sized train sets that they are running to Niagara or have they dropped some cars?

beyond the normal lakeshore service point........any estimate of how many people were on the train to Niagara?

Keep in mind that regular GO bus service from St. Catharines and Niagara will begin this fall, connecting to the the Lakeshore W line at (I believe) Aldershot.

Last edited:
are they full sized train sets that they are running to Niagara or have they dropped some cars?

They are running 10-car train sets but using 8 cars. They are keeping them in 10's for operational reasons. The platform at St.Catharines can only handle 8 and Niagara can only handle 4 due to construction at the station. Due to this they unload 4 at Niagara then pull ahead.

beyond the normal lakeshore service point........any estimate of how many people were on the train to Niagara

On Canada Day there was a lot of people, about 70% of the seats seemed full. According to a report I read, 3,800 people used the Niagara service in the first three days (one weekend plus Canada Day). From what I saw the second train to Niagara on Canada Day must have been the heaviest load. The third return wasn't as busy but still very well used.

Thanks, Waterloo

Thanks Waterloo! :)

Interesting Reading. While for the most part there aren't big surprises there, as many of these plans have been discussed here before; there were a few that caught my eye.

- I didn't realize the Richmond Hill Extension EA had been done....was info on this posted before?

- I see in the Milton EA that they've suggest not 1, but 2 new tracks

- They openly acknowledge that weekday service to Niagara is in the offing, including the long suspected new station at Stoney Creek, but also at Grimsby.

A few other goodies in their too.

VERY ambitious agenda! If they come close to meeting their targets, I will be impressed! :D

Very intersting. That's the first render I've seen of the new Erindale parking structure. Also very interesting that it says they plan to add 2 tracks. Most of Milton has 3 tracks, with some 2. So they mean 5 tracks? 4? I'm confused. Unless they just mean 2 tracks for GO's exclusive use.

The biggest surprise to me was that it looks like GO is planning on running the planned rail service to Peterborough. I knew buses were in the pipeline, but I thought GO was hesitant if not downright hostile to taking over the federally planned rail service. I really hope that the buses, if not the trains, make their way downtown as opposed to some desolate and inaccessible parking lot on the Parkway.

I also didn't realize there were plans to extend the Milton line to Cambridge. I knew there were some proposals, but I didn't know it was in the official plans yet.

It doesn't look like there's anything about the Midtown line though, which is disappointing.

Midtown line

Lesouris, the mid-town line is there.

Looks for the reference to service to Seaton.

That would the be mid-town corridor.

go transit needs to really look at making its system less union station-focused. perhaps when REX is implemented on georgetown line, the milton line and seaton line can become one thru midtown toronto and passengers would have to transfer at bloor for the georgetown line to go down to union. go should also look at north-south lines to connect some of their prongs from union., i.e. going from oakville thru mississauga to brampton.

- I didn't realize the Richmond Hill Extension EA had been done....was info on this posted before?

I was wondering the same thing. I also notice, on the third slide, a 'Brantford expansion.' That one is news to me as well. Is Hamilton, or Burlington, being set up as the next GO hub, after Union?

TOS

Last edited:
Interesting note about Stouffville that they are double tracking all the way from "Union" to Unionville as part of Phase 1 starting next year.

Basically that means from Scarborough Station to Unionville Station... that's fantastic news!
Can't come soon enough!

At Unionville station they're also reconfiguring the entrance/exit lanes and have realigned the Kiss-n-Ride because too many people were taking "short cuts and not following the proper lanes. A great move IMO.

Back