4.7K     0 

Presumably this work, noted above:
View attachment 221797

From feb 22
A7AE03F5-DE6D-4207-B055-D490DB0F61AA.jpeg

F573BEA9-6F22-41B0-A6FE-4D308CD9A82A.jpeg

C2A8CC57-45C3-4F00-B9C3-A8773E726B11.jpeg
B421567F-A71D-4B16-9CA4-EBDC80C8B635.jpeg

No light bulbs around. I’m not sure what they are doing.
4C625A9B-FE7C-4C87-BC26-B062EDB901B2.jpeg

The covers/shades on the light fixtures on Platform 3 have all been removed. Anyone know why?

It's just exposed light bulbs hanging from the ceiling now.

The covers/shades on the light fixtures on Platform 3 have all been removed. Anyone know why?

It's just exposed light bulbs hanging from the ceiling now.
Presumably because they are going to do work on them or in that area and do not want to damage them? This work could be virtually anything from a total lighting replacement to installing new bulbs or washing the shades. Platform 3 is clearly going to change a bit once the Bay Concourse opens and they (finally) finish work on the 'bridge' over Yonge and I suppose it may even be fully renovated. Patience, my friend. Enjoy the suspense!

March 24
The platforms have been extended east under CIBC Square Park structure for track under the the old shed. This will allow to have 2 trains on the same track at the same time going in opposite directions. Core drilling taking place between the tracks about 40' of CIBC structure and no idea what for since no steel is require for this area. The steel cage for the hole is about 40-60' long to anchor X down.

Look like a few trains been store there as there were none in the Bathurst North Yard and very dead with no VIA trains there as well when it normal to see more of everything.
49704002703_ed07009e63_b.jpg

49704002963_65fc82e4ee_b.jpg

49704531806_402055464d_b.jpg

49704003593_784494fe5e_b.jpg

49704003858_61b63e5d25_b.jpg

49704532781_6508ea7de2_b.jpg

49704004623_6fd1a36ec3_b.jpg

49704851767_f13ce7e783_b.jpg

49704851947_1242c82508_b.jpg

As this is deemed an essential service I really do hope they can at least take the advantage of low ridership and speed up construction as much as possible. But seeing at the inept construction management it must likely won't hapen

As this is deemed an essential service I really do hope they can at least take the advantage of low ridership and speed up construction as much as possible. But seeing at the inept construction management it must likely won't hapen
How would you suggest they speed things up? They must be having more absent workers, more suppliers closed or 'working from home' etc etc. You cannot simply put more people (laid off retail assistants?) onto a construction site and the work is carefully staged and x must be done before y. I would certainly like to see things moving faster but I suggest we should be happy enough it's moving at all! (The City did manage to do some work on a watermain replacement near me during the day rather than at night (due to much lower traffic volumes) I guess it may be a bit faster to have people work during daylight hours (and more people may turn up for daytime shifts) but I am not sure how much work at Union is now happening at night anyway.

Interesting but I note no mention of a tentative opening date!

Whatever opening date they will announce, double the duration and add 1 year you will arrive at when it actually might open.

For example, they announced in 2010 that all construction at Union will be finished by 2015. So 5 years X 2 + 1 = 11. In other words, 2021. :)

Walked along Platform 3 today from the GO Bus Station to Union Station and was pleased to see that the temporary (for several years) solid wall at the east end of Platform 3 (over Yonge Street) has (mostly) been removed and replaced with a metal Fast Fence. They appear to have (almost) finished the repairs to the `bridge`over Yonge - from the outside you can see they have been working on the section over the road but still have the westerly part to do. Progress, slow but ....

It'll never not amaze me seeing how low the platforms are, I'm rarely in Union or on GO but every time I see a picture I'm shocked. Hoping RER brings higher platforms, for no reason other than it looks odd seeing them so low.

It'll never not amaze me seeing how low the platforms are, I'm rarely in Union or on GO but every time I see a picture I'm shocked. Hoping RER brings higher platforms, for no reason other than it looks odd seeing them so low.
And enables faster boarding etc.
If we do that though we’d probably need rolling stock with doors at different heights or the ones with rectracting stairs, and we would also probably need to start rebuilding every station on the network to have high platforms. Possible, but probably not worth it.

Also on the aesthetics side of things at Union it would also make the ceiling lower and the space feel more cramped. We should have just replaced the entire train shed roof and put the ugly old “heritage” roof somewhere else (perhaps cut up and installed at other GO stations since most don’t have canopies?)

Last edited:
We should have just replaced the entire train shed roof and put the ugly old “heritage” roof somewhere else (perhaps cut up and installed at other GO stations since most don’t have canopies?)

That's certainly an interesting idea. Could it still be a designated heritage property if it was divied up and repurposed in other locations? We all know it would best serve as rubble out on the Spit. But your idea seems to actually follow through with the heritage mandate while also allowing us to be rid of it.

And enables faster boarding etc.
If we do that though we’d probably need rolling stock with doors at different heights or the ones with rectracting stairs, and we would also probably need to start rebuilding every station on the network to have high platforms. Possible, but probably not worth it.

I've heard people suggest the cars CalTrain use for this reason, buying a batch of those and slowly upgrading the platforms throughout their 30-40+ year lifespan would be the best way to spread out the cost, but you're right, doubt it's really worth it. I imagine there'd be some stations that'd end up looking horrific because the job was botched.

Also on the aesthetics side of things at Union it would also make the ceiling lower and the space feel more cramped. We should have just replaced the entire train shed roof and put the ugly old “heritage” roof somewhere else (perhaps cut up and installed at other GO stations since most don’t have canopies?)

I like this idea.

Back