News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

This is a useful synopsis of what''s happening and good that the work will include the Yonge bridge which has several quite large leaking areas (mainly from expansion joints) that make walking or cycling under it not too good on wet days.

^ In reading the article where it notes that they will extend the life of the bridges by 20 years, does that mean around 2040 they will have to replace the actual steel beams that cross over the streets? And the support columns?

^ In reading the article where it notes that they will extend the life of the bridges by 20 years, does that mean around 2040 they will have to replace the actual steel beams that cross over the streets? And the support columns?
Maybe, it means that by 2040 the bridges will need another refresh.

Presumably this work, noted above:
View attachment 221797
From today,
Top left - black container is new in the last month? Pads in the middle were poured months ago. North and south side of the tracks.
South side conduit in progress over the last few months.
View attachment 222223
New conduit on the retaining wall
Below two pads west of Jarvis, north and south of the tracks. North poured months ago, south wall built up and poured recently.

Steve Munro has reviewed the latest IO report.

Union Station Platform Expansion
The RFP for this project was issued in February 2020, and financial close is expected in Fall 2021, an improvement from the originally projected Winter 2021.

IIRC people made a ton of noise about grade crossings on Stouffville after increased service and suddenly every crossing is being grade separated?

IIRC people made a ton of noise about grade crossings on Stouffville after increased service and suddenly every crossing is being grade separated?

The crossings are being grade-separated to support AD2W, and especially future every-15-minute, service. It is not practical for various reasons to have that much service running at grade. This was, as far as I know, always the plan for implementing RER and not borne from any particular public complaints.

The crossings are being grade-separated to support AD2W, and especially future every-15-minute, service. It is not practical for various reasons to have that much service running at grade. This was, as far as I know, always the plan for implementing RER and not borne from any particular public complaints.
The original RER program only had finch and Steeles included I believe.

I think what happened is as design evolved they increased service levels on the Stouffville line to well above 15 minute frequencies and that triggered the need for the separations.

i fully agree with the need for them, Stouffville has more at grade crossings than any other line. Before 2010 basically the entire line was at grade.

The original RER program only had finch and Steeles included I believe.

I think what happened is as design evolved they increased service levels on the Stouffville line to well above 15 minute frequencies and that triggered the need for the separations.

i fully agree with the need for them, Stouffville has more at grade crossings than any other line. Before 2010 basically the entire line was at grade.
It's only the Finch crossing that'll remain at-grade. Otherwise, you have good grade-separated service south of Unionville.

Back