News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Pssst. Wylie. 22 Wellesley is 23 floors tall.

Nice addition mind you...

finicky 42

Still too busy (or should I say lazy) to work on any Google Earth models. However I do have some announcements to make...

1. Google's 3D Warehouse has started something called "3D Collections", which allows Warehouse users to create collections of models related to a particular subject. I, of course, created a collection called "Toronto".

Link to collection

I never planned on making this collection, until I got an email from somebody at Google who wanted me to become the "virtual mayor" of Toronto by setting it up. He also promised to send me a Sketchup T-Shirt if I sent him my address... don't know if I should take up on his offer though.

2. Google has released Sketchup release 6, and I've just downloaded it. All the features from the earlier version are in this new release.

An interesting new feature to this release is called "Photo Match". Supposedly this feature allows you to render a Sketchup model into a digital photograph- which is really great if you want to create a rendering of a proposed building that shows the surrounding context.

I'd love to try to use this feature. Problem is that I don't really have any photos that I can use to match with the models that I have created. If anybody wants to donate a photo and then tell me which of my models you want to render in it, I'd be happy to give it a try.

Here's my first rendering using Sketchup 6. It shows another new feature of Sketchup... rendering with fog! Also look at how smooth this rendering is compared to the earlier ones I've posted...

fcp_fog.jpg

Wow, the quality of this render is a lot better. Can you convert your others to this new smooth version or would you have to redo them?

No, I can't "convert" the renderings because they are only jpeg files.

I can open up every single one of my models in Sketchup 6 and make some new renderings of them, but since I have a lot of models, this could take a long time. If you want to make some nice renderings, you should download the Sketchup software, and then download the building model off of the 3D Warehouse, and set your own scene for your rendering.

Great work Wylie. Your work is improving...is this a possible future career for you?

SD:

I'm already working full time, and I can't really foresee anybody willing to pay me for my work. For now I will treat this as a hobby because I like doing this, but I don't really expect to be paid.

Getting complimented on my models is really all the motivation I need to keep me going with this.

Getting complimented on my models is really all the motivation I need to keep me going with this.

OK. Those are awesome! Keep up the awesome work! I can't wait to see more! They'll be awesome!

I'm already working full time, and I can't really foresee anybody willing to pay me for my work. For now I will treat this as a hobby because I like doing this, but I don't really expect to be paid.

Cool. What type of work do you do now?

I work here.

I get to look at floorplans of Toronto's major office towers all day long, but surprisingly enough I've never used the floorplans to create any of my building models (though I occasionally check out a floorplan to see how far off my models are from the real thing).

^That's good. If you enjoy rendering you should consider it...your stuff is improving, it pays well, and it looks like you already have some connections.

First model created with Sketchup 6

Tip Top Lofts

ttl.jpg

The Tip Top sign on top of the building was created using the new text tool in Sketchup 6. If you're following my modelling project with Google Earth 4, be sure to check out this model... it is rendered much more cleanly than the models created in the older version of Sketchup.

Back