News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I live in North Oakville and we are in dire need of a rail corridor. The "last mile" to get down to the Lakeshore West line is just too much. Likewise, there should be connections to the Pearson Airport employment area

North Oakville would probably be better serviced by extending the Mississauga Transitway and the 407 Transitway. (The yellow future EA part). Not shown is the Mississauga Transitway which will also carry GO buses and would go to the Pearson employment area.

Screen-Shot-2016-12-08-at-9.57.25-PM.png

There are ad spaces on GO trains.

Yes they are limited.....but the fact that most of them are filled with GO/ML ads/messages just tells me there is no great demand for the space in the market.
That is not the most effective ad space. Offer bus wraps. Or train car wraps.

That is not the most effective ad space. Offer bus wraps. Or train car wraps.
They have train wraps......again, like interior ads, few are bought.

GO does not refuse or discourage ad revenue......the market just does not buy much of it.

I wonder how multimodal transportation planning will change the Greater Golden Horseshoe region and how it will look like in 2071? I'll keep following this thread because it seems like we will have great discussions here.

New content is now up on the Greater Golden Horseshoe planning website.

Infographic PDF:

http://www.gghtransport2051.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2017/07/How-We-Develop-It_EN_OCT2017.pdf

Transportation Profile (Released November 29, 2017):

https://www.gghtransport2051.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2016/10/11.29.2017.TransportationProfile_AODA-1.pdf

Infographic:
upload_2017-12-5_19-20-16.png

Transportation Profile (almost 70 pages):
upload_2017-12-5_19-19-41.png

More PDFs (environmental, socioeconomic, etc) linked from https://www.gghtransport2051.ca/about-the-project/
(view this in a desktop browser.... Mobile version coming soon, according to them)

upload_2017-12-5_19-29-50.png

There is also a visioning exercise all the way to year 2071.

Most of us adults in these forums won't be alive to see 2071, but it is also an opportunity to brainstorm possible directions, such as

These are my ideas thrown in for 2051-2071 vision:
-- high speed train between Toronto-Hamilton-Niagara (To NYC on electrified Empire corridor)
-- Toronto-Kingston higher-speed commuter service
-- fully expanded CP bypass
-- railyard relocations (Hamilton's waterfront railyard relocated to say, Steel lands)

That said, rather than 2071 visioning, most of the survey questions focuses on a 2051 policy/priority, being www.gghtransport2051.ca -- I imagine certain visioning elements will filter down as a follow on to Metrolinx 2041 (in ten years, elements will probably filter down to a Metrolinx 2051 vision).

Survey is still open for a couple more weeks:
https://www.gghtransport2051.ca/goals-objectives-survey/

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-5_19-19-41.png
    upload_2017-12-5_19-19-41.png
    1 MB · Views: 525
  • upload_2017-12-5_19-20-16.png
    upload_2017-12-5_19-20-16.png
    267.6 KB · Views: 723
  • upload_2017-12-5_19-29-50.png
    upload_2017-12-5_19-29-50.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
This was my favourite chart for some reason. I knew Toronto's port wasn't exactly major, but was not aware it was so small compared with elsewhere in the Golden Horseshoe. We gotta step it up.

GGH-ports-cargo-shipments.png

Attachments

• GGH-ports-cargo-shipments.png
    GGH-ports-cargo-shipments.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 496
This was my favourite chart for some reason. I knew Toronto's port wasn't exactly major, but was not aware it was so small compared with elsewhere in the Golden Horseshoe. We gotta step it up.

The question is shipment of what. There is no sense comparing amount when the bulk of it could be nothing but industrial raw materials.

AoD

The question is shipment of what. There is no sense comparing amount when the bulk of it could be nothing but industrial raw materials.

AoD

Only thing that comes to mind would be fill, outbound. Huge business trucking the stuff around S.Ontario, then burying it someplace discreet. And absolutely massive volumes too. Can only assume a lot of rackets and organized crime going along with. Rather than clogging up our highways with convoys of dumptrucks, trickling debris every which way, just load it up on a ship and dump it in some far off land. Say, Cleveland or Detroit.

As I mentioned in another thread, in my opinion the bulk of the inbound shipping to Toronto is related to its local construction activity (cement and aggregate) plus salt and sugar, not to any industrial or manufacturing activity. It will never grow, and possibly shrink if Redpath pulls up stakes, because, in its heart of hearts, the city doesn't want any industrialization of the port. A single rickety line touching water, surrounded by condos and parks, won't have much of a future. I would not be surprised that, when all of the lobbying and negotiations are done, the 'portlands' will have no industrial zoning. The actual Port of Toronto is 50 acres - whoopee.

As I mentioned in another thread, in my opinion the bulk of the inbound shipping to Toronto is related to its local construction activity (cement and aggregate) plus salt and sugar, not to any industrial or manufacturing activity. It will never grow, and possibly shrink if Redpath pulls up stakes, because, in its heart of hearts, the city doesn't want any industrialization of the port. A single rickety line touching water, surrounded by condos and parks, won't have much of a future. I would not be surprised that, when all of the lobbying and negotiations are done, the 'portlands' will have no industrial zoning. The actual Port of Toronto is 50 acres - whoopee.

I saw a commercial last night with Kiefer Sutherland talking about the importance of the port for film production. Guess it's mostly studio space he was talking about. But it's a bit of a funny concept that the Port Lands seems more profitable standing in as a port, than being an actual port.

Not sure how much size equates to importance. Although the actual "Port of Toronto" might be 50a, the Port Lands is obviously larger. And as far as I can tell most cargo doesn't actually go through the Port proper, but the industries you mention. Cement at Leslie, salt on Unwin, sugar on QQE.

This is just a purely amateur guess, but I do believe we could use our central area development to the Port's advantage. Think of how much spoil something like the RL will involve. As the GGH report acknowledges the entire Seaway system is severely underutilized with ample capacity. Highways not so much. I always see dumpers racing on Lake Shore to get on at Jarvis. Where to I'm not sure. But feel maybe they could instead be heading to a transfer station in the Port Lands for eventual outbound cargo. Reason why from PortsTO's site:

PortsTO-truck-vs-freighter.png

Attachments

• PortsTO-truck-vs-freighter.png
    PortsTO-truck-vs-freighter.png
    381.5 KB · Views: 478
Hamilton's stats are obviously tied to steelmaking, but more recently they have attracted a new grain terminal which has boosted traffic at that port, including a large number of saltwater vessels. Clarkson has the refinery and cement traffic.

I don't know where fill ends up, but if it is not close to the lake, the cost of transshipping onto boats and then back into trucks for the last leg may well be greater than just running those dump trucks up the DVP. Although personally I would like to see that fill dumped right into the harbour, to add another 50-75 feet of width to the Harbourfront open space.. We could use more walkway width down there.

- Paul

If you ask me I would prefer all of Toronto's shipping be moved to Hamilton or elsewhere. Redpath has no place right on the waterfront of the downtown.

Redpath has absolutely no plans to move, but they really should. The value of the land they sit on is huge, they should sell and set up shop in Hamilton instead.

Back