News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

So wait, let me get this straight; Baltimore is 40 miles from Washington, and Washington is 40 miles from Baltimore? Who knew?! Amazing how that works! Yes, virtually the same distance apart, but only virtually. Your real world miles may vary. Haha. :D

OH: I was comparing Hamilton and Toronto to Baltimore and Washington,DC...The two city pairs are 40 miles or so apart and in both cases
there are commuters that would rather live in a city neighborhood compared to the sprawling suburbs surrounding both metropolitan areas
and commute between each...

THAT should clarify this subject...LI MIKE

The whole damn thing is nearly bolded and with at least three different type sizes and two type colours. I can't read this mess.

Wait.. you can't read in different font sizes? You must have a tough time reading anything (books, newspapers, magazines, websites, etc).

I can direct you to some ESL courses! They're FREE! :)

[…] So if you want to live an urban life in the Hammer, you will probably be commuting (and likely via car) to your job in outer parts of the city (or beyond).

This is also incorrect. Downtown Hamilton has been where the jobs are going; This is evident with two recent Commercial Structures being built along JamesNorth.
Hamilton's Office Vacancy just dipped to it's lowest level in 5 years (!). A vast chunk (1/3) of the space available is in the outdated Stelco Tower (100 KingWest). That's up to Yale Properties to reno it if they want to attract new tenants who appreciate Grade A modern office space.

AND.. "The city also tracked vacancies in storefront commercial and office units and found 16 per cent were empty, a small decline from 17 per cent in 2013." (not sure if the vacant retail spaces include those under renovation, as there are several that are being reno'd to service better tenants).

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4878089-hamilton-office-vacancy-hits-lowest-rate-in-5-years/

ALSO..
"The survey shows 391,000 people employed in the local economy in August, up 5.4 per cent from 371,000 in the same month last year."

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4834766-statscan-reports-jobs-surge-in-hamilton/

Last edited:
Free tip:

If you want to compare Hamilton to somewhere try Windsor, Sarnia, Buffalo, Detroit, Flint perhaps. Not a desirable area of Toronto. By that measure I'm sure it's greatly over priced.

Hamilton to the Junction is like comparing apples to rotten apples.

Here's a free tip for you; Stop ignoring the facts and accept them! You're acting very Ford'esq.

I've provided you with plenty of facts (w/ sources), and all you can say is "Hamilton is a rotten apple".

I understand you have some deep-seeded hatred for Hamilton for some reason, however there is zero need to spread lies and misinformation.

Maybe if Torontonians weren't so self-conscious about their City, they could appreciate others as well (?).

Last edited:
If you're self-employed or can work from home and you'd don't mind a suburban lifestyle, or you feel really secure in a job that's in Hamilton, take the leap to Hamilton and you'll never ever ever regret it. I miss it all the time, we go back at least once a month.
Moved from Toronto to Hamilton and my commute improved. (and I don't work in Hamilton)

It's all a matter of careful selection of location. To follow up to this, I have a 1h15min commute between my Hamilton front door and my cubicle downtown Toronto. This is a faster commute than many people who live elsewhere (e.g. Brampton or Oshawa, or even Mississauga and Markham). I live in a location west of Gage park, just one block away from the Main/King arterial roads that allows me to get to Aldershot in a 13-15 minute drive following the synchronized traffic lights of on the one-way arterial road (Main-King) before rush hour traffic (exactly 6 mins drive from house to 403), and catch one of the peak-period express GoTrains that takes under an hour (55-58min) to Union. Throw in the 3-5 minute walk to the downtown Toronto job. The commute isn't bad really; it is all a matter of selecting where to live in Hamilton, and you can actually get work done on the GoTrain too, something you can't behind the driving wheel. And I can leave work early or late, since the GoTrains just started (as of last year) running GOTrains now started running every 30-minute all day long, 7 days of week, bi-directionally to Union to past midnight on the Lakeshore line. As long as you choose the peak express gotrains that skips stations, they get to Union in under an hour.

And with the new Hamilton GOTrain station, eventual all-day 30-minute GoTrain frequency direct to Hamilton (it's just one stop beyond Aldershot), plus future planned electricification of GOTrain (commute falls to 40min Hamilton-Toronto, frequency improves to every 15min, like an European express commuter train), it is only going to get better. Union revitalization is tripling the square footage of GO concourse, in anticipation of the assured GO expansion.

I also have a 2nd income with a home office, so that may grow and eliminate my commute someday, but for now, if you carefully select where to live in Hamilton, it is now actually comfortably feasible to keep a Toronto downtown job, while owning a Hamilton home.

I used to live in Ottawa and commute to a Montreal contract for a few months, while I also used to live in Toronto and commute to Waterloo for a contract for a few months, too (Often went Monday morning and returned Friday evenings, renting a room there). Living in Hamilton has a far better and faster commute than those combinations. Detached 4-bedroom forever house with basement home theater, and a backyard oasis with heated swimming pool, all for less than the price of a downtown Toronto 2-bedroom condo. A mortgage cheaper than the cost of Toronto 2-bedroom downtown rent, but with three to four times the square footage, and I get to finally build equity/nestegg when I almost gave up on the house dream.

The biggest Hamilton surprise (for me, unexpectedly) is less air pollution than Toronto (at least during year 2014, as a daily commuter between the cities) -- ever since Hamilton shut down the majority of its coke ovens. I haven't smelled any tar in this neighborhood. It used to be far more grimy, but Hamilton is getting much cleaner. Doing more research, I see charts where many air quality metrics are better than Toronto on average recently (e.g. lower ozone, lower nitrogen oxides), particulates falling to less than Toronto recently, though Sulpher dioxide higher but dramatically fell when the coke ovens shut down. See air quality improving article, and old 2009 measurements (I gander that the numbers are even better now in 2014 due to the coke oven shutdowns, and based on my daily comparative experience as a daily commuter). The silly misconception that Hamilton air is worse than Toronto air -- used to be still true last decade with the smells still reaching downtown -- but I consider it a mythbust now, and my daily comparative exposure to Hamilton odors versus Toronto odors, etc.

Last edited:
Moved from Toronto to Hamilton and my commute improved. (and I don't work in Hamilton)

It's all a matter of careful selection of location. To follow up to this, I have a 1h15min commute between my Hamilton front door and my cubicle downtown Toronto. This is a faster commute than many people who live elsewhere (e.g. Brampton or Oshawa, or even Mississauga and Markham). I live in a location west of Gage park, just one block away from the Main/King arterial roads that allows me to get to Aldershot in a 13-15 minute drive following the synchronized traffic lights of on the one-way arterial road (Main-King) before rush hour traffic (exactly 6 mins drive from house to 403), and catch one of the peak-period express GoTrains that takes under an hour (55-58min) to Union. Throw in the 3-5 minute walk to the downtown Toronto job. The commute isn't bad really; it is all a matter of selecting where to live in Hamilton, and you can actually get work done on the GoTrain too, something you can't behind the driving wheel. And I can leave work early or late, since the GoTrains just started (as of last year) running GOTrains now started running every 30-minute all day long, 7 days of week, bi-directionally to Union to past midnight on the Lakeshore line. As long as you choose the peak express gotrains that skips stations, they get to Union in under an hour.

And with the new Hamilton GOTrain station, eventual all-day 30-minute GoTrain frequency direct to Hamilton (it's just one stop beyond Aldershot), plus future planned electricification of GOTrain (commute falls to 40min Hamilton-Toronto, frequency improves to every 15min, like an European express commuter train), it is only going to get better. Union revitalization is tripling the square footage of GO concourse, in anticipation of the assured GO expansion.

I also have a 2nd income with a home office, so that may grow and eliminate my commute someday, but for now, if you carefully select where to live in Hamilton, it is now actually comfortably feasible to keep a Toronto downtown job, while owning a Hamilton home.

I used to live in Ottawa and commute to a Montreal contract for a few months, while I also used to live in Toronto and commute to Waterloo for a contract for a few months, too (Often went Monday morning and returned Friday evenings, renting a room there). Living in Hamilton has a far better and faster commute than those combinations. Detached 4-bedroom forever house with basement home theater, and a backyard oasis with heated swimming pool, all for less than the price of a downtown Toronto 2-bedroom condo. A mortgage cheaper than the cost of Toronto 2-bedroom downtown rent, but with three to four times the square footage, and I get to finally build equity/nestegg when I almost gave up on the house dream.

The biggest Hamilton surprise (for me, unexpectedly) is less air pollution than Toronto (at least during year 2014, as a daily commuter between the cities) -- ever since Hamilton shut down the majority of its coke ovens. I haven't smelled any tar in this neighborhood. It used to be far more grimy, but Hamilton is getting much cleaner. Doing more research, I see charts where many air quality metrics are better than Toronto on average recently (e.g. lower ozone, lower nitrogen oxides), particulates falling to less than Toronto recently, though Sulpher dioxide higher but dramatically fell when the coke ovens shut down. See air quality improving article, and old 2009 measurements (I gander that the numbers are even better now in 2014 due to the coke oven shutdowns, and based on my daily comparative experience as a daily commuter). The silly misconception that Hamilton air is worse than Toronto air -- used to be still true last decade with the smells still reaching downtown -- but I consider it a mythbust now, and my daily comparative exposure to Hamilton odors versus Toronto odors, etc.

Sad commentary on just how terrible the commute is in the core.

Sad commentary on just how terrible the commute is in GTA.
Fixed it for ya.

...but now that I think of it, you are right too. Public transit in the core is really slow. Took me that long to get downtown on streetcars too. It also takes longer to get to Pearson by TTC than for me to commute to work from Hamilton.

...now if the whole GOTrain network gets electricified 5min peak 15min offpeak service (Google "Metrolinx 2031" but they now want to accelerate electricification to within ten years). They are now aiming for within the timeline of one human generation, hopefully with many more convenient interchange stations with the TTC subway, plus add a DRL too, easier TTC-metrolinx transfers either free/discounted, a few extra in-core stations for non-express trains. Put this on all TTC subway maps so it feels like one bigger combined network, single shared fare card/pass system (Presto, once it is nicely working after a painfully slow and inconsistent TTC deployment). All part of the Big Move plan already in progress, unbeknownst to many Torontoians who even has never considered speeding up their commute with a GOTrain before. Then it all now becomes a bona-fide extra (surface) 'subway', useful to more core residents.

The we might finally catch up with a 20th-century-sized big city 'subway' network. Then we still have to work on entering the 21st century.

Last edited:
I see a lot of personal decision-making rationalization driving comments on this thread. Here is the thing, Toronto and Ontario are better served by having a strong, vibrant, growing Hamilton than a depressed one. Similarly, Hamilton will not thrive in the absence of a strong, vibrant, growing central Toronto city. If people are making the decision to live in and invest in Hamilton that is fantastic, they are not wrong to do so. If Hamilton is so great a place to live in it will one day be crowded and expensive like Toronto thereby nullifying the current competitive advantage of living there some people currently feel. We need more prosperity and opportunity in Southern Ontario not less. To have a large city in our area written off as some kind of basket case in many minds is detrimental to the whole region. Let's hope this is more than just hype and hipsters. Hopefully Canada's next big idea, company, artist, discovery, leader, etc. can come from Hamilton and continue any positive momentum being experienced there.

Hi, I got to read about real estate market in both Toronto and Hamilton. What about Markham? I’m planning to get into real estate business in Markham. All my friends are supportive. I attended a seminar on real estate business last month conducted by Richard Robbins and it was really very beneficial. It let me know the basics and almost all theories and scope of real estate. Before I start up with it, I would like to know yours opinion too.

The PR Team @ Stanton recognizes the boom that is Hamilton in this Dollars & (Common)Sense vid

[video=youtube_share;rdFsexe5ymU]http://youtu.be/rdFsexe5ymU[/video]

Last edited:
I see a lot of personal decision-making rationalization driving comments on this thread. Here is the thing, Toronto and Ontario are better served by having a strong, vibrant, growing Hamilton than a depressed one. Similarly, Hamilton will not thrive in the absence of a strong, vibrant, growing central Toronto city. If people are making the decision to live in and invest in Hamilton that is fantastic, they are not wrong to do so. If Hamilton is so great a place to live in it will one day be crowded and expensive like Toronto thereby nullifying the current competitive advantage of living there some people currently feel. We need more prosperity and opportunity in Southern Ontario not less. To have a large city in our area written off as some kind of basket case in many minds is detrimental to the whole region. Let's hope this is more than just hype and hipsters. Hopefully Canada's next big idea, company, artist, discovery, leader, etc. can come from Hamilton and continue any positive momentum being experienced there.

Great Point(s)!!

I would go as far as saying a Healthy Greater Golden Horseshoe (incl. Buffalo) is what's best for our region, Province and Country!

Toronto needs to stop hating on, well, everyone.
And Hamilton needs to stop hating on Niagara & Durham.

There is way too much infighting. Let's just all work together and get along!

Now that Hamilton and Toronto have (fiscal-twin) functional Mayors, they should meet every couple of months (each Quarter?) to discuss our common goals and woes, then Lobby Wynne's Joke Of A Gov't to fund our needs!

How Hamilton is revitalizing its downtown to bring new life

"Is Hamilton getting too cute? The idea seems a trifle unlikely. The city at the west end of Lake Ontario still has a reputation as a gritty working-class steel town.

But a wave of gentrification has rolled through in the past few years. Young couples priced out of the Toronto real estate market have been coming down the QEW to shop for houses. Galleries and cafés are popping up on once-derelict downtown streets. Throngs of people turn out for gallery-hopping art crawls. This city of drivers even has a bike-share program and a new central-city bike lane."

"Employment in what planners call the urban growth centre has reached 24,700. The office vacancy rate has fallen to 11.8 per cent from 19 per cent seven years ago."

Continue Reading via The Globe & Mail

Last edited:

Back