News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

In the 1970's and 80's there were one or two convenient 24 hr. fruit and vegetable markets around Pape and Danforth.

Harvey's at Dufferin and Lawrence was rebuilt recently. Looks nice and clean now, food tastes fresh too.

I think they need to apply the same treatment to all their locations. I don't think people are turned off by the food but the dinginess of some of their older shops

Not a big fan of harvey's myself. Outside of downtown there are now so many burger joints that are cheaper for better food.

Old and dingy never hurt Johnny's on Vic Park and Shepperd! Long live (or is that short live?) burgers that are more filling than a McDonald's combo for a lot less cash!

Mmm. Johnny's is good.

Johnny's was going to be demolished for the bus terminal for Victoria Park North Station in the EA for Sheppard - the only thing that saved it was government going with the paired down Don Mills terminus.

Mmm. Johnny's is good.

Johnny's was going to be demolished for the bus terminal for Victoria Park North Station in the EA for Sheppard - the only thing that saved it was government going with the paired down Don Mills terminus.

I know I'm going really off topic but anyone know what's going on with the old esso station besides Johnny's?

I'm really peeved off that Johnny's is now impossible to get to on Vic Park or Shepperd and I have to double around the back streets to reach it.

I'm more alarmed by the Second Cup closings then Harveys... I really treasure their coffee, it's sooooo much better than Starbucks burnt flavours. The Front/Chuch Second Cup destroys the Starbucks a few stores east because of its superior location and the Timothy's at Jarvis/Front does a good business too... I don't mind supporting the Canadian guy but both Second Cup needs to get more aggressive, they have a better product and a great brand, they're the only ones who can even think about going toe to toe with Starbucks and they're letting it decline? How about investing in the damn thing... same goes for Timothy's, much better product... shrinking visibility.

We really should start up a food section.

That's what the Out and About section is for. Wander over and start up some grub-related discussion!

I don't mind supporting the Canadian guy but both Second Cup needs to get more aggressive, they have a better product and a great brand, they're the only ones who can even think about going toe to toe with Starbucks and they're letting it decline?

I prefer Second Cup as well. The only problem is that they're a franchise when Starbucks is a chain. It's all up to people wanted to buy a franchise, and with the tough competition with Starbucks it's not surprising that not as many people are. Also, there's a few Second Cup locations where it's clear that the franchisee doesn't give a damn and lets the place fall apart and clearly has issues retaining employees.

I agree with the above. Starbucks isn't quite as nice, but they're consistantly decent. Second Cup is better when the franchisee is up-to-snuff, and I don't care for Timothy's all that much. But Second Cup was spun off, so it has less to do with Harvey's.

Going more off-topic, I discovered my new favourite coffee store chain - Caribou Coffee, which was all over Washington and area. Great coffee (they have a great variety, and even good collection of organic and fair-trade selections), they don't gouge for pastries and snacks, and free wi-fi.

Amazing how many Harveys have closed. Peterborough has 3 including a Home Depot location, and of course there's still the one at Eastons in Port Hope. When the Eastons Harveys closes then we'll know for sure the chain is toast!

I don't know why, Harveys is way better than the big four - McD's, Wendys, A&W, and BK. The only chain I like better is Wimpy's, tacky 50s style decor aside.

As for Second Cup, meh. I'm a tea drinker. I'll take a cup of Twinings Earl Grey over a cappa-frappa-mocha-choca-ccino any day.

A&W came back from nowhere in the past 10 years. Except out west, they seemed to disappear, hibernating in a few shopping mall food courts. A&W isn't bad, and their onion rings are really good.

Back