News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

alklay:

Actually, as bad as it may sound, I think it's preferable to having that space being absolutely ruined by thoughtless action.

AoD

I don't mind the benches now from looking at pics. I actually quite like them.
What I don't like now is the railings. Looking from the street, it should feel like a barrier free area to the water's edge. The railing changes that perspective.

it's actually not that bad. the railings are thin enough that they almost disappear because the metal reflects the colors surrounding it. they also serve a funtional purpose for people who don't feel like sitting down and just want to lean on them.

I don't mind the benches now from looking at pics. I actually quite like them.
What I don't like now is the railings. Looking from the street, it should feel like a barrier free area to the water's edge. The railing changes that perspective.
You really can't rely on photos - go and LOOK at the site, it looks pretty good to me and, as said above, the railing is almost invisible and probably a useful safety feature.

Yes, terrible for skateboarding. The slats in the wood which makes the bridge would make for a hell of a ride, and you're not going to be grinding wood (it is wood, right?) benches anytime soon. Your trucks would dig right in. Also, even your average pimply skater would notice that if anything went wrong, your board would be in the lake.

I was referring to the steps, not the benches. In my tired state last night I thought I saw metal along the edges of the steps, making it easier to do nose/tail slides, 50-50s etc. My mistake. The handrail, however, intrigues me as someone who used to BMX. There will probably be too many people using the slip anyways for any skaters/bikers making use of what's there.

I like the overall look and concept of the whole thing. I'm really not sure about the benches being so close to the water, though. Hopefully, dumb ass skateboarders don't trash the place with their stupid pseudo "sport" the way they trash and destroy any public space they get their skatebords on. That would be really unfortunate

it's actually not that bad. the railings are thin enough that they almost disappear because the metal reflects the colors surrounding it. they also serve a funtional purpose for people who don't feel like sitting down and just want to lean on them.

Good points, but I wonder if the railing would have been even less intrusive it were to run the opposite direction, from north to south. Then again, it would sort of block the east west flow. Okay, I've answered my own question :D

I like the overall look and concept of the whole thing. I'm really not sure about the benches being so close to the water, though. Hopefully, dumb ass skateboarders don't trash the place with their stupid pseudo "sport" the way they trash and destroy any public space they get their skatebords on. That would be really unfortunate

Wow, that's quite the post there Pfloyd. I posted this about a month ago.

Oh no! The scary skateboarders strike again!

There is not much to worry about since the real problem is not the skateboarders themselves, it's the lack of provided facilities. While I would never advocate an American-style solution where the construction of a single skatepark is impetus enough to ban skateboarding on city streets altogether, the glaring lack of any sort of skatepark (and other such facilities) in any official plan is disturbing.

Yet another reason I will never live in the US.

jn,

Clearly somebody cares since several members have raised the question of skateboarders 'wrecking' the wooden slip through heavy usage. My re-post was more for the text and less for the video which was appended as a satirical comment on machismo-style American law enforcement, not a vain attempt to garner 'a little respect' for our four-wheeled-foes. While this issue may not have to do with the revitalization of the waterfront directly, it still perplexes me that such facilities have been so overlooked.

If that was the intent of your post then I apologize. It appeared to me like you were simply quoting him and saying sarcastically "Man, great post, to bad it was said a month ago by me! how original..."

We're on the same page though. I don't think we should ignore segments of the population and their recreation simply because of stigmas that we attach to their activity, especially one that is active like skateboarding. Hell, I'd rather skateboarders than a bunch of kids inside playing skateboard on their Wii.

I just thought you were calling him on some sort of lack of originality. So again, sorry I misinterpreted your post.

Very near here, there are vast areas of unused space, under the Gardiner, which would be great for a skate park.

Back