News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

my guess is that the grade of the slope is such that by law it needs to have a railing. That's my best guess at least.

I kind of like the grey colour of the metal under the bench. It won't show the wear that a red (or other vibrant colour) would.

Looks nice...but I see a lot of people slipping/falling into the water as they try to manouevre themselves onto a bench.

I was wondering about that. Seems the only way on is to sit, and then swing around to face the water.

I wonder if they're going to paint the metal parts. I'm guessing not. I think it would have been easier to do that before putting the wood on the benches.

if you look closely at the design proposal image for the bench it says sprayed with a zinc coating.

I think the railing should go though. Whats the point of having one, especially since it doesnt cover the entire length of the slip?

I would assume it has only been partially constructed in that photo.

I hopped over the fence the other night to get a closer look and it does seem like the legs on these benches are as complete as they will ever be. Looks like we won't be getting the avant-guard red which was promised, but a more traditional, Toronto-grey.

Still, the quality and material use seem to be exceptional so it should still be amazing when it's done.

Formal Opening

Waterfront Toronto is planning a formal park opening within the next 2 weeks!

The construction and opening of the slip will hopefully help start the process of convincing the media and public that work on the waterfront has finally begun.

Louroz

Just as I thought. The slip was meant to be a place to sit down without benches.

spadinaslip1le6.jpg

spadinaslip2ta6.jpg

Khristopher, looks like they added the hand railings at a later point too. At face value your observations about the slip are not completely unfair, but I guess that accommodations have to be made, plans evolve, etc.

With this new element, and the HtO park that abuts it to the east, the condo at 401 Queen's Quay is now encircled by what will eventually be a continuous waterfront promenade - much as Pier 27 will be one day.

I strolled the harbour yesterday, visiting the Power Plant ( free admission all summer ) and the other galleries. The green space south of Harbour Square has mature trees, shade, boardwalks, and seats and is as popular as ever - a nice laid-back contrast to sunny, sandy HtO. The Music Garden looks better each year as the plantings mature. The little Reese Parkette underplays it, with a few benches where people sat reading in the shade. Pleasing variety.

July 10 Update.
I think these photos capture the nearly completed deck well.

PICT1644.jpg

PICT1645.jpg

PICT1646.jpg

PICT1647.jpg

PICT1649.jpg

PICT1651.jpg

PICT1652.jpg

I went by the site last night. Seeing it in person is completely different, I find the slopes to be deceptively flat in the pics, and in real life, they seemed much more 'wavy.' (if thats even an accurate word!)

I find the slopes to be deceptively flat in the pics, and in real life, they seemed much more 'wavy.' (if thats even an accurate word!)

That's exactly what I was trying to capture, guess I failed :(

I hope the bench legs are painted red.

The barrier in the middle really doesn't fit.

I really like it in pictures. And I can see how it looks deceptively straight in pics. I think the brain probably tries to straighten out the curves because it thinks they should be straight.

somehow i had a feeling that the person taking pictures today at the slip was from UT. i'm actually in one of the pics lol!

i pretty much took the same photos but here are some different ones.

DSC08662.jpg

DSC08667.jpg

DSC08668.jpg

Back