News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

UPDATE: Construction is moving along at Toronto Central Waterfront
01-04-2009

Construction is moving along at Toronto Central Waterfront. The wavedecks Rees and Simcoe, which will open this summer, will provide unique gateways to the waterfront of Toronto and will create more publicly accessible spaces. Over the next few weeks, construction activities will include H-pile installation on the north wall at the Simcoe Slip and fish habitat installation at Rees Slip.

The two new wavedecks are part of a series of five. The first one, Spadina wavedeck, was opened in September 2008. The wavedecks are part of the first phase of implementation of a strategic masterplan for the Toronto Central Waterfront prepared by West 8 + DTAH, see also:

http://www.west8.nl/projects/toronto_central_waterfront/

http://www.west8.nl/projects/spadina_wavedeck/

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca

There are some images at the source, but they're older.

Source

From the WT May 19 Board Meeting CEO Report:

Construction of the Rees and Simcoe WaveDecks is progressing well and planning is under way for opening them to the public by July. CEAA approval for the Spadina Footbridge has been delayed owing to TPA issues and resident concerns, which in turn are holding up the tendering process and will extend the completion date beyond March 31, 2010.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//4a13e9e9adcd3.pdf

Well, here comes TPA again...

AoD

I wish the media were monitoring every penny the TPA spends; that organization does no good and much harm to the city and strikes me as corrupt.

On the other hand, the wave decks they are not slowing down are looking great. I can't believe something that size and shape is getting built in this town.

We will see what next week bring if this will be open June 13-14. Benches and handrail remaining to be done.
IMG_may-24-09-0185.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0186.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0187.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0188.JPG

This will not open until July
IMG_may-24-09-0191.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0193.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0194.JPG

May 31

I drove by the sites on Sat and had to drop by on Sunday to make sure what I was seeing was right.

Ress has the planking in for the first 2 rows and will no be open next weekend.
IMG_may-31-09-0070.JPG

IMG_may-31-09-0071.JPG

IMG_may-31-09-0072.JPG

All the planking has been removed for the high wave section at Simcoe and cannot see why.

The benches are in on both sides of the wave.

Lets hope it a minor issue with the remove planking as this deck was on schedule to open next weekend. It would be sad to no see it open then, but will be by month end.

IMG_may-31-09-0066.JPG

IMG_may-31-09-0067.JPG

IMG_may-31-09-0068.JPG

IMG_may-31-09-0069.JPG

^ I bet they weren't happy with the slip-resistant planking on such a high degree angle. Hopefully it's something they can rectify quickly.

I wonder how wacky looking those benches are going to look on that curviest part.

I think they're learning from experience. Spadina took much longer to build and seems much less complex than the Simcoe wavedeck.

I think the next ones will be built even quicker. Which ones are next? Portland? Jarvis? Parliament?

Here's a reminder of Parliament's massive deck! *

parliamentwave.jpg

I hope they have something special planned for Yonge St. slip to reclaim the land taken for private grounds @ Pier27.

* a typo here could have resulted in massive laughter and embarassment.

Last edited:
^ I bet they weren't happy with the slip-resistant planking on such a high degree angle. Hopefully it's something they can rectify quickly.

I wonder how wacky looking those benches are going to look on that curviest part.

I think they're learning from experience. Spadina took much longer to build and seems much less complex than the Simcoe wavedeck.

* a typo here could have resulted in massive laughter and embarassment.

Perhaps slippery when wet?
I also hope that they can sort this issue quickly. It would be really disappointing to see another summer go by staring through fences at two new wave decks like last summer.

There are practical and aesthetic issues to consider for a cafe right on the wavedeck. Far more practical to have it on the ground floor of structures surrounding it instead.

AoD

I always liked the building where Second Cup is (York/Queen's Quay) as a good place for a cafe.

They could do it like a Japanese drama I saw where they parked a food vans (sells food and beverages) of sorts at the Yokohama boardwalk and placed tables, chairs and umbrellas there. During the winter or extremely windy days they can remove them.

53114713.jpg

Last edited:
I understand that there are practical issue with having a bar/cafe right on the wavedeck, but I can't help but think it would also be lovely (in the summer). I am thinking of that Hamburg example posted a while ago, but with the seating partially on terra firma and partially on a wavedeck.

The Second Cup is a great location - and preserves the former Ferry Terminal as well.

Just talked to a guy working on the Simcoe deck. It will be ready in two weeks, coinciding with some Luminato event with Cirque de Soleil happening at HTO Park.

Back