News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What a stunner. I am ecstatic about how West 8's designs are turning out so far.

What remains, however, are the two elephants in the room of the central waterfront: the Harbourfront Centre parking lot, and the Harbourfront-owned (I think) lot north of HtO. Until those are addressed, the area will feel incomplete.

Don't forget the bridges that will connect the boardwalk, including the one that the TPA and local residents are having a problem with.

Grand Opening

I will be there!!!!!

Simcoe WaveDeck Opening Celebration

Join Waterfront Toronto and its government partners on Thursday, June 11th at 10 a.m. as we celebrate the opening of the Simcoe WaveDeck, another exciting milestone in the revitalization of Toronto’s waterfront.

Helping us celebrate this momentous occasion will be Deputy Premier and Minister of Energy and Infrastructure George Smitherman, Toronto City Councillor Paula Fletcher and a representative from the federal government.

Following in the footsteps of the Spadina WaveDeck, the Simcoe WaveDeck is the second in a series of four urban docks designed to create more public space along one of the most heavily used parts of the Toronto shoreline.

Built in less than 8 months, the 650 square-metre wavedeck is uniquely Canadian and a dramatic new addition to Toronto’s waterfront.

The Opening Celebration will take place on the Simcoe WaveDeck, located just west of Simcoe Street at Queens Quay Boulevard West.

If you are traveling to the event by TTC, exit the 510 or 509 waterfront streetcars at the intersection of Queens Quay Boulevard and Simcoe Street. If you are traveling to the event by car, paid parking is available at Harbourfront Centre’s York Quay South lot at the south side of Queens Quay just west of York Street.

For more information, please contact Amanda Flude at aflude@waterfrontoronto.ca or 416-214-1344 ext. 276.

It's interesting to see how wood products are being used these days around the city. The AGO's Galleria Italia and the spiral stairs are other recent instances of innovative use of wood to create great public spaces and public artwork.

In a city where glass, concrete and steel dominate, the AGO and the Wave Deck show that maybe it's time Toronto should get more landmarks structures built of wood.

I will be there!!!!!

I'm really impressed that they made the deadline based on those scary photos with parts of the deck disassembled from a week or so ago. Really impressed. I'll be down there next weekend for Cirque du Soleil's Harbourfront show, I can't wait to see the next WaveDeck, and Cirque of course!

I will be there!!!!!

Join Waterfront Toronto and its government partners on Thursday, June 11th at 10 a.m. as we celebrate the opening of the Simcoe WaveDeck, another exciting milestone in the revitalization of Toronto’s waterfront.

Helping us celebrate this momentous occasion will be Deputy Premier and Minister of Energy and Infrastructure George Smitherman, Toronto City Councillor Paula Fletcher and a representative from the federal government.

Following in the footsteps of the Spadina WaveDeck, the Simcoe WaveDeck is the second in a series of four urban docks designed to create more public space along one of the most heavily used parts of the Toronto shoreline.

Built in less than 8 months, the 650 square-metre wavedeck is uniquely Canadian and a dramatic new addition to Toronto’s waterfront.

The Opening Celebration will take place on the Simcoe WaveDeck, located just west of Simcoe Street at Queens Quay Boulevard West.

If you are traveling to the event by TTC, exit the 510 or 509 waterfront streetcars at the intersection of Queens Quay Boulevard and Simcoe Street. If you are traveling to the event by car, paid parking is available at Harbourfront Centre’s York Quay South lot at the south side of Queens Quay just west of York Street.

For more information, please contact Amanda Flude at aflude@waterfrontoronto.ca or 416-214-1344 ext. 276.

Except it was designed by a Dutch firm.

NightPhotog-June6-09157.jpg

NightPhotog-June6-09156.jpg

Last edited:
Instant landmark! Beautiful shots, Torontovibe

Lets not forget, it's going to look even better with Queen's Quay revitalization. These wave decks will be surrounded by trees, beautiful wide stone sidewalks, our new sleek streetcars, and (eventually) new buildings on the empty waterfront lots. All of this extending to the Don River. This transformation is truly inspirational!

Last edited:
I often wonder what if Sir Norman Foster's design had been chosen.... what would we have today? I doubt those tear drop buildings would be up.

The beauty of West8/DTAH's plan is that it was almost instantly doable. The wave decks and bridges will all be up by 2010 (according to the latest document I've seen) and the Queens Quay transformation should begin next year also.

We really struck gold by picking this plan.

...oh... and a comment on the Simcoe Wavedeck: wow! That's effing hot! I was a little weary of having those rails but they turned out great. A safety concern: They're quite open though... a kid can walk right under them and fall in the water.

One crucial night element is yet to come: lighting up under the wavedeck. That is going to be a beauty!! :D

Back