News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

This Ontario Safety League is annoying me. Not because I think they'll succeed in shutting down the WaveDecks, but just because their argument just seems so ridiculous and obvious.

There are Darwin Awards for a reason!

I wrote the OSL a letter, copied it to Christopher Glaisek, VP, Planning and Design Waterfront Toronto. It made me feel better.

I wrote the OSL a letter, copied it to Christopher Glaisek, VP, Planning and Design Waterfront Toronto. It made me feel better.

Good. At least now Waterfront Toronto will appreciate that some citizens actually like what they're doing on the waterfront.

I think there should be an online petition to declare the OSL's HQ unsafe due to the presence of cars in the vicinity.

In terms of safety warnings, these little signs are scattered across the floor of the wavedeck:

3728396102_210f2e5c18.jpg

I particularly like this one. It looks like a guy farting while skanking at a ska concert:
3728398802_ca1bbeb46c.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm... Looking at the "Ontario Safety League" website, it looks like they are focused exclusively on road safety. The first sentence of their mission statement:

"The Ontario Safety League's mission is to reduce preventable deaths, injuries and destruction on Ontario's roads through public education and safety awareness."

All the courses and information they offer is also exclusively focused on road safety.

Makes one wonder why they are commenting on the Wavedecks, or if he was prompted by a reporter looking to stir up controversy.

Their mission statement is also laughably vague:

"The Ontario Safety League has attained a stature that has endured for nearly a century due to the league being founded on sound and timeless principles. The first and foremost principle for our lasting success is the League's timeless core values and enduring purpose."

So the list of 'lasting' and 'timeless' principles which form their mantra begins with their desire to have 'timeless core values' and an 'enduring purpose?'

Reminiscent of Homer Simpson's award for "Outstanding Achievement in the field of Excellence"

Update:

• Rees wavedeck will be opened soon with a public ceremony in early August.
  • Government of Canada, Province of Ontario and City of Toronto will host an official groundbreaking ceremony for Sherbourne Park on July 23rd. (some work has already started). The south side of Sherbourne Park is expected to open in the summer of 2010 and the north side in the fall of 2010
  • The installation “Peeled Pavement†designed by artist Jill Anholt is the first piece of public art selected as part of the public art strategy for the West Don Lands. The installation is a series of bold and exciting folded concrete surfaces along Mill Street that transform into dramatic seating elements where passersby can take time out under the trees.

I don't know, you could walk into one of those folds and smash your knee! Does the "Ontario Safety Log" know about this?

peeled pavement

I see a homeless person under everyone of these the day after they get built. Which I'm fine with, because it will be better for them than lying on a sewer grate under open sky. We should build these all over.

The Ontario Safety League should crusade to fix all sidewalk cracks, so as to spare our mothers' backs

I wish those big birdge-type things they're planning weren't delayed. I thought they looked awesome.

I believe that we have the owners of the condo at the southeast corner of Spadina and Queen's Quay to thank for that delay. Perhaps we could write them a letter too?

I believe that we have the owners of the condo at the southeast corner of Spadina and Queen's Quay to thank for that delay. Perhaps we could write them a letter too?

Them, and the Toronto Port Authority

Wavedecks on Saturday, July 18

Spadina WaveDeck
3733529460_e8e1502e2c_b.jpg

3732733151_6894456dde_b.jpg

Rees WaveDeck
3733534572_a875eba01c_b.jpg

3732738149_91e0a8a41a_b.jpg

3732740693_2a07b9edc2_b.jpg

Simcoe WaveDeck
3732742751_121b329d69_b.jpg

3733544760_8413830629_b.jpg