News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Great stuff..

Although, kinda sad to see the Waterside Tennis Club go without relocation by the city. They were meeting for quite a while but from what I remember they never resolved a relocation point.

I hope as part of the park construction they do something to spruce up the Sherbourne railway underpass.. It smells, and its pretty dark, and not really an inviting gateway point for those coming down from Sherbourne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until the City decides what to do with the silos there is really little point in the Portland wave deck as one can still not walk along the west side of Portland Quay to Ireland Park. A few months ago the silos were discussed by the City and I think they agreed to demolish part of them and repair the remainder so that this walkway can be reopened. Once the west side is walkable it will make far more sense to do the Portland Wave deck. There's a general City document at http://www.toronto.ca/harbourfront/bathurst_quay_east.htm

That all makes sense re: the Portland Slip.
The south half of the east side (the slip side) along the silos isn't walkable either. It's been fenced off for many years now. Getting into Ireland Park (post #43) is quite a challenge.

Rees WaveDeck Official Opening Community Celebration
Saturday, August 8th - 1p.m to 4p.m.

Rees WaveDeck
The Rees WaveDeck is now open! To mark this important revitalization milestone, Waterfront Toronto invites you to a community celebration on Saturday, August 8 from 1p.m. to 4p.m.

Join Waterfront Toronto and Toronto City Councillor Adam Vaughan on the Rees WaveDeck for an afternoon of festivities including:

· Sailboat and pontoon boat tours (first come first serve)
· Kayaking and other boating demonstrations
· Music and family friendly entertainment
· Waterfront Toronto walking tours and information

Following in the footsteps of the Spadina and Simcoe WaveDecks, the Rees WaveDeck is the third in a series of four urban docks designed to create more public space along one of the most heavily used parts of the Toronto shoreline. Built in less than 10 months, this 480 square-metre wavedeck is uniquely Canadian and a fantastic new addition to Toronto’s waterfront.

Getting There
Festivities will take place in and around the Rees WaveDeck and slip located on Queens Quay Boulevard West just west of Rees Street (at the water’s edge next to the Harbourfront Centre Sailing and Powerboating).

If you are traveling to the event by TTC, exit the 510 or 509 waterfront streetcars at the intersection of Queens Quay Boulevard and Rees Street. If you are travelling to the event by car, paid parking is available at Harbourfront Centre’s York Quay South lot at the south side of Queens Quay just west of York Street.

For more information, please contact Amanda Flude at info@waterfrontoronto.ca or 416-214-1344 ext. 276.

We look forward to seeing you on the wavedeck!

Rees WaveDeck Official Opening Community Celebration
Saturday, August 8th - 1p.m to 4p.m.

Rees WaveDeck
The Rees WaveDeck is now open! To mark this important revitalization milestone, Waterfront Toronto invites you to a community celebration on Saturday, August 8 from 1p.m. to 4p.m.

In case anyone missed it, I posted photos of the newly opened Rees Wavedeck on July 20th.

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=5475&page=62

July 26

IMG_july-26-09-0193.jpg

IMG_july-26-09-0194.jpg

IMG_july-26-09-0196.jpg

IMG_july-26-09-0198.jpg

I really don't understand the purpose this low guard rail ...

is it just to remind people so that people don't accidentally walk over the deck edge ?

or is it just there to make sure people will trip over that obstacle and land in the water ?? :confused:

I really don't understand the purpose this low guard rail ...

is it just to remind people so that people don't accidentally walk over the deck edge ?

or is it just there to make sure people will trip over that obstacle and land in the water ?? :confused:

LOL I was kinda confused by it too. I'm the Ontario Safety Alliance or whatever it's called would have a field day with it.

I don't understand the guard rail either. Why didn't they just continue the bench the entire length of the deck like they did on the Spadina one? The rail was a bad choice in my opinion.

I don't understand the guard rail either. Why didn't they just continue the bench the entire length of the deck like they did on the Spadina one? The rail was a bad choice in my opinion.

You're supposed to be able to get into your kayak or canoe from the slip, which a continuation of the bench would have made impossible.

I find these steps objectionable. Someone might trip and fall.

In fact, the whole lake thing is an accident waiting to happen - let's just fill it in. We obliterated lots of ravines in the 20th century, let's make the 21st the "Century of the Ex-Lake".

I was told the railings are a legal issue to protect the city from lawsuits. There are warning/safety signs at each end of the decks as well little medallion safety warnings placed into the deck. If a person chooses to step over the railing, they have assumed liability for their own personal safety.

Back