News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Councillor Adam Vaughan, whose ward encompasses all of the wave decks built so far, said "nothing is risk-free" and individuals need to use their own judgement when it comes to using city infrastructure, whether it's the wave decks or playground structures in city parks, all of which he said are built to code.

"The reality is, you put a bike ring on the sidewalk, you can put 10 signs up but somebody might still walk into it," he said, adding he is sympathetic towards Thomas and his injuries. "(But) the city can't sign and make safe every piece of infrastructure, it's just impossible."

The wave decks are the first step in a complete revitalization of Queen's Quay, he said.

"We're pushing the envelope on design here a little bit, but we're pushing the envelope on aesthetics, not on safety."

Vaughn is crazy. This is no way for people to live. Shut down the wave decks before more crazy clubbers...I mean people hurt themselves!

Selected quotes:

"[The bridges] actually [aren't] necessary if our objective is to really improve people's enjoyment and vision of the water and the view," said Pamela Divinsky, a resident of 401 Queens Quay West (and the provider of the schematics above).

"The bridge is, to me, just a big waste of money. I don't really understand the purpose. They block your visual view of the lake, they are going to cost a fortune to build and a fortune to maintain," said John Winters, another resident of 401 Queen's Quay West.

People's enjoyment and vision? Your visual view? These individuals seems to equate their objective and their visual view to those of the public at large - whom of course aren't invited by those residents at 401QQ for enjoyment of their exclusive vantage point...

"They made it absolutely clear that regardless of what our concerns were or what we said, they were going to go ahead with the footbridge,"

Best news I've heard all day.

AoD

Bah, in the end we (the city) wins and the whiners lose. Hint to anyone who lives there who might be reading this: splurge and buy curtains like the rest of us commoners. :D

I'm glad to hear that the city is sticking to its guns on the bridges. I think they're the best part of the whole plan.

Listening to some of those whinier at various meets especially the 401 folks was unreal these past few years. They had delay this project a year so far.

It is not their waterfront, but ::ALL:: for everyone regardless where you live.

2011 is going to be an interesting year follow by the big 2012 year.

The National Post has a "special report" next to this article - "T.O. A to Z: A 26-part series that looks at the things that make this city special." The post on June 25th is called: "Queen's Quay is worth visiting (just look beyond the condos)."

This, I believe, is called irony.

The National Post has a "special report" next to this article - "T.O. A to Z: A 26-part series that looks at the things that make this city special." The post on June 25th is called: "Queen's Quay is worth visiting (just look beyond the condos)."

This, I believe, is called irony.

Unlike other Toronto newspapers, the Post does print competing views on any given subject and they appear to understand that their readers will not always agree with their material.

Cool time lapse video of Simcoe Wavedeck.

[video=youtube;mxSpJjnLOaE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxSpJjnLOaE[/video]

cool video khristopher. I can't wait for 2015 when hopefully this part of waterfront will be redeveloped in time for Pan-am Games and we can enjoy the pedestrian bridges and the new Queen's Quay Blvd.

It says on the website that the footbridges aren't funded. So much for construction beginning this spring as had been mentioned last year.

WTF!!!! I'm not happy about this little bit of news... I thought at least the Spadina bridge was funded.

I thought the only reason construction on the bridges hadn't started yet was due to NIMBY concerns! Argh!

Back