News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I don't think he saw these all over the place either. They are just on every bollard as you enter the wave deck and scattered all over the deck around the rails as you step over. Not to mention the Yellow Warning markers that say CAUTION

Attachments

• 3627938770_709d97dbc1.jpg
    3627938770_709d97dbc1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 325
  • 3728396102_210f2e5c18.jpg
    3728396102_210f2e5c18.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 299
don't know if I attached these file right?

Attachments

• marker2.jpg
    marker2.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 276
  • bollard.jpg
    bollard.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 277
  • marker.jpg
    marker.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 269
My letter to Mr. Dumbas (sorry Thomas):
------------------------

Mr. Thomas;

I am writing with regards to the incident you had. It is unfortunate, and I hope that you are recovering well. However, I feel I must stress my opinion on your decision to file a lawsuit.

I am sure you are a logical and well-educated man. However, your chosen action defies my assumption. Even through the eyes of a child, he can see that the wavedeck, although pleasant to look at, can be spell trouble due to the steep slopes. Hence, the child may logically choose not to climb avoiding the risk of injury. In reality, curiousity may prevail, and he will most likely test the slopes. And I have seen countless children that have done just that. And I have yet to hear any incidents as a result of it. you, on the other hand, are a 47-year-old man with years of life experience and wisdom. No one else knows your body better than yourself. And I am sure you're well-educated enough to read the many many warnings all over the wavedeck. And yet you still chose to climb. You broke your tendon and injured your knee-cap...and now decided to sue others for your incompetence.

I feel that it is not ethnical to ask others to pay for a risk you have taken. It is analogous to suing a company because their stocks tanked. No one forced you to buy the stock, it is common knowledge that stocks are risky, and you are supposed to exercise due diligence. The difference being the company does not post risk warnings.

I hope that you will accept some personal responsibility for the incident, and of course a speedy recovery.

Regards.

I don't care that he incompentant. It just bothers me that he wants others to suffer for his incompetance.

Project End....

Great Letter, Project....

I would encourage people to follow this up.

BUT

I want to add, let's not forget to write the Mayor and tell him we are having none of the safety police (who previously neutered the design for HTO park to the point where I find the finished product mediocre).

(For those interested HTO originally had a stepped concrete deck that went right into the Lake, before the safety policy got it squashed)

Also, not that it will help much, but let's write this nimrod over at the Safety League and tell him how offended we are; how much of a dis-service he is doing to the cause of safety through chicken-little esque rantings and how is organization is losing rather than gaining influence because of this.

Maybe he can go work on getting bike lanes, LOL :D ( I can't see the biking crowd tolerating him either though!)

The Mayor:

E-mail: mayor_miller@toronto.ca
Mail: Toronto City Hall, 2nd Floor, 100 Queen St. West
Toronto ON
M5H 2N2
Phone: 416-397-CITY (2489)

Ontario Safety League:

Address:

Ontario Safety League
2595 Skymark Avenue
Suite 212
Mississauga, Ontario
L4W 4L5

Phone: (905) 625-0556

Fax: (905) 625-0677

E Mail: info@osl.org

President & General Manager
Brian J. Patterson, C.F.E

47 years old? WTF was he doing on a 42-degree incline???

I'm 56 and I was limber enough to scale the heights and return safely to earth.

Amusingly, Mr. Thomas's board game is called UPSET.

http://www.toydirectory.com/monthly/ToyShow/product.asp?product_id=12459&company_id=3040

http://www.playupset.com/images/TheCreators.jpg

The promotional bumf for UPSET says: Are you a risk taker or do you prefer to play it safe? Will you risk your CHIPS to raise your score? Can you afford not to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Until all cliffs and water's edges have railings, all trees are cut down, and all roadsides have railing with gates that open only when the way is clear there will be some people who will not be satisfied. Couldn't this guy have done the same thing on stairs?

47 years old? WTF was he doing on a 42-degree incline???

I'm 56 and I was limber enough to scale the heights and return safely to earth.

I beat you by a decade and I have been up and down it safely several times. If I were 47 (and the inventor of a game called Upset) I would be too embarrassed to admit I couldn't cope.

Glad you are limber enough US, but I am sorry to hear that you "returned ... to earth" - I always enjoyed your flights of fancy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
To some, like waterfront resident Paul Thomas, it's the leg-breaker at the foot of Simcoe St.

Thomas, 47, blames the steep incline of the $6-million Simcoe WaveDeck for the severe leg injury he suffered July 3 while attempting to navigate its sloping surfaces.

"I haven't been able to work at all," Thomas said. "It's just devastated my life."

Oh wow, what a tool. Just wow.

I don't know, guys. Seems a little unfortunate to harass the guy personally. What good could it do? Is getting a bunch of self-righteous mail from some kids on an internet forum (who seem to think that 47 is old) going to make you change your mind?

There are a lot of good outlets for activism, but I don't think this is one.

Back