News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Woah, woah, woah. I suggested nothing of the sort. I just said it would look nicer without them, but I know it ain't gonna happen.

Obviously I didn't explain myself very well.

EDIT: Come to think of it, once the south lanes are closed to traffic, it may be just as nice to face the city while on these decks.

Just as long as you don't have to look at boats, right? ;) *

* and I never use smilies...

postponed until Friday, June 12th at 10 a.m.

Not surprise at this. From the photo, there are 2 curve railing on either side of the high ramp. That other rail was not in place on Monday.

I cannot say long as I have to catch a GO train after 12 for a meeting in Burlington. Kind of gum up my day as moving things for Thursday.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CHANGE OF DATE: Simcoe WaveDeck Opening Celebration
Now Being Held on Friday, June 12th

Please note that the Simcoe WaveDeck Opening Celebration previously scheduled for June 11th has been postponed until Friday, June 12th at 10 a.m. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience. We hope to see you there.

Join Waterfront Toronto and its government partners on Friday, June 12th at 10 a.m. as we celebrate the opening of the Simcoe WaveDeck, another exciting milestone in the revitalization of Toronto’s waterfront.

Helping us celebrate this momentous occasion will be Deputy Premier and Minister of Energy and Infrastructure George Smitherman, Toronto City Councillor Paula Fletcher and a representative from the federal government.

Following in the footsteps of the Spadina WaveDeck, the Simcoe WaveDeck is the second in a series of four urban docks designed to create more public space along one of the most heavily used parts of the Toronto shoreline.

Built in less than 8 months, the 650 square-metre wavedeck is uniquely Canadian and a dramatic new addition to Toronto’s waterfront.

The Opening Celebration will take place on the Simcoe WaveDeck, located just west of Simcoe Street at Queens Quay Boulevard West.

If you are traveling to the event by TTC, exit the 510 or 509 waterfront streetcars at the intersection of Queens Quay Boulevard and Simcoe Street. If you are traveling to the event by car, paid parking is available at Harbourfront Centre’s York Quay South lot at the south side of Queens Quay just west of York Street.

For more information, please contact Amanda Flude at aflude@waterfrontoronto.ca or 416-214-1344 ext. 276.

4a2ff1278ce7e.jpg

I saw those railings yesterday and I think they are silly. They will be a barrier for people to clime the steps. I understand why it had to go on the the steep incline but not all the way around the steps. It just looks wrong.

Very nice of the city to create this cool skate park for the young skateboard enthusiasts, and right on the waterfront too!

When are people going to understand that anyone who skateboards knows this is not a good place to skateboard? Skating on wood slats is just not fun at all. You need a smooth non bumpy surface.

So walk on the curvy part you need to step over the railing?

I saw those railings yesterday and I think they are silly. They will be a barrier for people to clime the steps. I understand why it had to go on the the steep incline but not all the way around the steps. It just looks wrong.

Agree. It's an obstacle that makes the the ramp less usable and more dangerous. We have to step over a railing to walk?

When are people going to understand that anyone who skateboards knows this is not a good place to skateboard? Skating on wood slats is just not fun at all. You need a smooth non bumpy surface.

Right, smooth, kind of like those railings they just installed... Maybe I'm wrong I'm no Tony Hawk. (Is he still relevant?).

I'm sure you're far more aware of what makes a good rail slide, but my point was not to suggest this was a good skateboarding destination. I was trying to use sarcasm to make the point that we will spend millions to build a deck for people to sit on or whatever, but we won't build a skate park for our teens to play on. I think our priorities are a little messy sometimes. Perhaps I should be more direct in the future.

They are beautiful decks though.

Agree. It's an obstacle that makes the the ramp less usable and more dangerous. We have to step over a railing to walk?

Dangerous? It's about a foot off of the deck at the low point, anyone who has trouble (who would otherwise go up the steep part) deserves to trip and hurt themselves if they can't navigate over it.

Right, smooth, kind of like those railings they just installed... Maybe I'm wrong I'm no Tony Hawk. (Is he still relevant?).

I'm sure you're far more aware of what makes a good rail slide, but my point was not to suggest this was a good skateboarding destination. I was trying to use sarcasm to make the point that we will spend millions to build a deck for people to sit on or whatever, but we won't build a skate park for our teens to play on. I think our priorities are a little messy sometimes. Perhaps I should be more direct in the future.

They are beautiful decks though.

No offense, but there are skate parks that exist already, and we have had a pretty ugly and unused waterfront for too long now. It's worth every penny.

So all this is suppose to make toronto have an amazing waterfornt. Too little too late, toronto waterfront is ugly.

A few wooden slips is not gonna change the fact that the lake is lined was ugly eyesore buildings.

But it's better than nothing I suppose.

So all this is suppose to make toronto have an amazing waterfornt. Too little too late, toronto waterfront is ugly.

A few wooden slips is not gonna change the fact that the lake is lined was ugly eyesore buildings.

But it's better than nothing I suppose.

I haven't been in many world class cities waterfronts, but I don't think Toronto's waterfront is ugly at all!. Maybe it was ugly in the past, but I think it's just getting better every year.

BTW I'm Darwin, I'm new in the forum. Hi everyone! :D

I haven't been in many world class cities waterfronts, but I don't think Toronto's waterfront is ugly at all!. Maybe it was ugly in the past, but I think it's just getting better every year.

BTW I'm Darwin, I'm new in the forum. Hi everyone! :D

I agree. Toronto's waterfront is getting better year over year. Waterfront Toronto has laid the groundwork and it's show time for tangible progress.

Nebakenezer: Cities are organic. They change over time. Remember what was once here before? A bunch of rail tracks and warehouses extending all the way to the water. Once West8's plan is implemented, the ugly parts will disappear into the background, overwhelmed by the great waterfront we're going to have.

And I emphasize again: things change. When we have a beautiful waterfront, it becomes desirable and what was once ugly, will be torn down and replaced by something better.

Oh, and welcome to the forum Darwin. I liked your book "On the Origin of Species". I heard it's a wild success on Amazon ;)

Back